Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Amazon has a picture of the 3cd set. A quick glance reveals the same track listing, but it's hard to read and I looked real quick. It has a booklet this time though!

2. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

I would love for thank you from Cali 72 to get a release such a sublime version. Pages solo is great and plants vocals are beautiful. My favorite plant vocal for that song.

3. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

Definitely going to preorder this, I imagine if John Davis is involved, this will at least sound better than the original.

johnny q likes this.
  4. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Ok. Same tracklisting. Hopefully remastered in a way that makes the album possible to listen to. Keeping the extras/bonus tracks for the hopefully upcoming chronological live album?

Sean, DBR70 and bobcat like this.
  5. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Why Shirley has to get involved in these releases is beyond me. He flattens everything he touches....

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  6. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I thought he'd been replaced by John Davis some years ago?

7. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Two different roles. Shirley mixed whereas Davis masters. The Shirley releases were mastered by Bob Ludwig.

8. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

I am disappointed. I wanted so much more than just an extravagant reissue of a package I already have.

footlooseman and rockclassics like this.
  9. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

This doesn't have to be the only release for the year. If it's coming out in March, I wouldn't rule out something for Fall.

10. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

No, this is merely the first installment to get everybody's attention. There is a Christmas market to be reckoned with as well. There will be more, there will be new stuff. Since there are no extra tracks, I believe that these could be held back for a chronological type of release.

On a related note, besides from being a copyright control product, I wonder whether the Yardbirds 68 was a product to test the water, to see what kind of interst you get in a deluxe vinyl with a substantial booklet?

11. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I don't believe that at all!

Why would that be the reason? What's the conflict? Its just two different bands putting the same song out on two different releases. Happens all the time.

What DOES make sense however is that officially releasing the Yardbirds vocal version of "Knowing That I'm Losing You" legally opens up the whole "Keith Relf actually co-wrote Tangerine" can of worms.

Since Tangerine has always been credited to Page alone, I'd imagine he'd rather just "not go there" (to court) by giving anyone (Relf's estate/song publisher) enough rope to hang him with.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  12. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

As a side note, the Yardbirds book with the CD kinda of sucks. Very hard to read for these old eyes.

marmalade166 likes this.
  13. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

As I pointed out earlier, Shirley's mixes are fine. It's the mastering that sucked. So if they are reissuing the Shirley mixes here with a better mastering, I will be more than happy.

steveharris likes this.
  14. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

Remember page said there will be unheard zeppelin released . No bonus tracks means hwww reissue is not the inheard zeppelin.

Sean, johnny q and ponkine like this.
  15. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

i hope they're not "reference" mixes that nobody can discern a difference

16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I wouldn't assume an official release would sound better than a bootleg. Example, The Whos Live at Leeds Complete (bootleg) sounded much better than the official deluxe version.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  17. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

The photographic evidence that exists for the early shows would make a "board" recording useless. No mics on the drums or the amplifiers. A board recording would just be Plant's vocals with whatever amount of leakage there was for the rest of the band.

18. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Stop calling me Shirley!:D

19. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

The Song Remains the Same
    The same
    The same
    The same

Sean and RockRoom like this.
  20. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Hopefully LZ I studio material will sound better than the horrid companion live disc that was released with the remaster.

21. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

22. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

23. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Not

24. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The original 2002 official LAL is one of the worst masterings ever.

ODShowtime and superstar19 like this.
  25. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I agree, the 2002 remaster wasn't the best. The Midas Touch boot is excellent but does suffer from some static noise. The HDtracks version of Leed blows away all others from a sound quality standpoint.

J_D__ and supermd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.