Best amplifier set-up to pair with Tannoy Legacy Arden

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by enfield, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enfield

enfield Forum Resident Thread Starter

Am looking for a amplifier set up that sounds powerful smooth and with big soundstage.

With 93db do they really need a big expensive mega watt amps to drive them.

Advice on amps in different price ranges would be appreciated.

Budget: Up to 2k

Mid price: Up to 5K

High -end: Up to 20k

Thanks in advance

2. If your budget is 2k, why the mention of the others?

3. russk

russk Forum Resident

Do you have them? What are you running with them now or what did you here them with?

I love vintage Mac tube gear with the older HPD and Gold series that I've heard. You could do an amp and pre for around 7K restored.

Below that I'd go with a Leben integrated. I really like both of their integrated amps. A lot. Infact for me personally it's either vintage Mac tube gear or Leben for cost no object gear.

For 2K I'd go with an integrated from Line Magnetic and for a bit more, or if you want a phono stage, the Audio Note Oto.

If your brave there are some boutique builders out there that do great work and make some fun amps. I have a little SEP EL84 amp from Toolshed Amps that was a great deal. An amp with its parts quality from a traditional company I would have paid way more.

jonwoody and McLover like this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I have a friend who has a fully restored pair of Arden Mk IIs and he uses vintage valve amps, I know he has used a Leak Stereo 20, but can't recall what else he tried, my instinct would have been different, but he knows what he's doing so the valve route might be worth consideration.

Swann36, jonwoody and enfield like this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

McIntosh MC 2505-2 or McIntosh MC 2105 power amp with Tannoy HPD based speakers is more than plenty. Pair with a McIntosh C26, C 28, MX 113 or MX 114 to taste. And you'd have a nice foundation for Tannoys.

enfield likes this.
  6. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I'd second the MC2505 or get MC30/60/240/275

enfield likes this.
  7. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Do you already have the Ardens? I've been trying to get a demo here in New York, but it seems Tannoy's US distribution is severely lacking.

8. manfredas370

manfredas370 Forum Resident

Interesting topic.
    I had listening session with new Legacy Arden in my local hifi store. Man, they are special.
    So thinking to save some money, sell my Spatial Hologram M4 TurboS on the way and welcome Arden's to my Yamaha family (A-S2100 with CD-S2100).

9. enfield

My budget isn't necessarily 2k. Would like advice on the best amp match in each price range.Ideally a British company,but i know they are light on the ground in this day and age.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Swann36 likes this.
  10. enfield

No i don't have them yet.Am also looking at maybe the cheaper option of the Kilipch Forte III Heritage at 1k. Would these in any way be compariable with the sound of the tannoys? The majority of my listening is Rock,Punk,Soul,and acoustic singer songwriters.So not sure i want to go down the tube amp route.Although the high sensitivity of the Ardens would seemily suit a tube amp.
    Someone mention the Hypex Ncore amps but they are self build as well.Which i would like to avoid really.

11. enfield

No not yet..It seems i would have to travel for a few hundred miles if wanted to demo them.Audio Affair In Birmingham (Uk) seems to be the best option for me.They seem to have a good range of tannoys so might compare the Ardens with slightly smaller options in the legacy range.

12. enfield

Sounds like a very good plan.:righton:

Robert C likes this.
  13. russk

russk Forum Resident

The Forte 3 are half the price of the Ardens. I was really interested in the Ardens till I saw the 8K price. The model below them the Cheviot is 6.5K. The Forte 3 are 3.6K for standard versions and 4K for special additions.

The short list I made for speakers based on what I've heard and friends recommendations, and price are the Cheviots, The Forte 3, and Audio Note AN-e and AZ 3 with hemp drivers and upgraded caps.

The Forte 3 are great, big sounding speakers that were much more refined sounding then I expected. I've heard the old HPD Cheviots and Ardens and really liked them but what has me really interested is a pair of 12 inch monitor gold's an acquaintance put in a pair of 75 liter, well braced cabinets. They sounded great. So I've been trying to find a place to audition the Legacy Series.

I will say that the Fortes will need a bigger room then the front ported, point source Tannoys. As for tube amps, in my opinion they are the only way to go with horns, especially the Klipsch. The ridiculous efficiency of the Forte means you can listen with some very nice low powered tube amps or single ended tube amps. Currently in using a mint pair of Cornwall 1s that have been recapped. The sound very good with my restored Fisher 500c and my EL84 SEP amp. I've tried tried a few different solid state amps and none have been able to compete with my tube gear.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    enfield likes this.
  14. enfield

The Ardens are currently £6.3k in the UK.

15. russk

russk Forum Resident

If I ever get to hear the Ardens, I am willing to bet I'd gladly shell out an extra £1000 for them over the Fortes. The Klipsch are nice speakers but I've always preferred Tannoy Monitor Gold's and HPD speakers to Klipsch.

Swann36, jonwoody, KT88 and 3 others like this.
  16. Ole Jakob

Ole Jakob Forum Resident

845 based SET. That will bring them both to timber and party fun. I have the Cheviot, and that is lovely combined with my SET.

jonwoody and enfield like this.
  17. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

SPL output using 93dB sensitivity speakers. Results will vary depending upon speaker placement & listening distance. Speakers are located 1-4 feet from a wall, not in a corner that increases SPL & listening distance is 12 feet away. The results are listed below with various amplifier output.
    10 watts = 98dB
    20 watts = 101dB
    30 watts= 102.5dB
    40 watts= 104dB
    50 watts= 105dB
    60 watts= 105.5dB

18. guitarguy

guitarguy Tone Meister

PM me and I will put you in touch with the US Sales Manager.

19. Pasquale.S

Pasquale.S Member

1. Solid State
    2. At least 150 of damping factor
    3. Bi-Amplification

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swann36, jonwoody, Romany and 14 others like this.
  20. Nascimento Brasil

Nascimento Brasil Forum Resident

I have this valved configuration, C2300 with two Mc 275 (5generation) + a pair of Tannoy Westmisnter Royal, I believe that you will like the combination Mcintosh 275 with your Tannoy Arden, I am satisfied with the factory valves!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    jonwoody and teag like this.
  21. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

I use a Mcintosh MA9000 with my brandnew Arden :righton:

jonwoody and Vinyl Archaeologist like this.
  22. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

Had a pair original Ardens. I drove mine with an old Threshold S200. Very nice combo.

23. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Castors?????????

24. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

I have 4 pairs of Tannoys at the minute, including HPD Ardens. I have tried many combinations including SET ( 211 ), EL84, 2A3, P/P 6550, Class A, Class AB. The best I have heard them is with Hypex n Cores ( Hattor ). I am currently having a Hattor amp built with active valve pre amp and N core output stages.

Tannoys are very amplifier fussy in my experience. I tried a Pass labs XA60 recently but still preferred the N cores, especially with dynamics and tonal colour.

25. stratoholic

stratoholic New Member

Love this! I just bought a pair of Cheviots that have about two hours on them. I'm wondering where you got those risers for your Ardens? It would be nice to get the Cheviots a little higher, nearer to ear level, although I probably won't use castors.

jonwoody likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.