Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That was a fresh remix and sounds great!

2. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

Very true but did they have that set up at all their early shows

3. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Are there many photos from the '68 gigs?

4. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Looking forward to whatever it will be then, when it's finally getting released.
    Hopefully it will be extensive boxset containing live-shows or starting release for some yearly live-boxsets.
    But thinking of Page, I somehow wouldn't trust in yearly sets containing live-shows being made.
    Of course it's too early to say or comments as we really don't know more of this thing yet.

5. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

About three (onstage) from Scandinavia. Two that purport to be from the Marquee, but doesn't say which Marquee gig (Oct or Dec) and the colour one is so blurred it could frankly be anywhere.

marmalade166 likes this.
  6. Overthehillsandfaraway

You have to remember that the Yardbirds had virtually evaporated in the UK - most of the 67/68 gigs were in the US & the Little Games album never got released, and so there wouldn't necessarily have been lots of people in Britain who wanted to take a photo of a (relatively) unknown band. It's pure luck really that Jorgen Angel was a fan and in place at the first gig on 7th Sept. And if there are recordings (which I hope there are) of '68 UK / Denmark / Sweden gigs it has to have been recorded off the desk rather than an audience recording. Mick Wall said Grant took "recordings of the band's early gigs" to New York in November '68, as well as the first album, but most other sources I've seen say just the album.

Still, hope springs eternal...

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Doubtful. JP said unheard music will be released for the band's anniversary. Most suspect something else is in the pipeline.

johnny q likes this.
  8. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

Full details on their website now:

Led Zeppelin Live Album How The West Was Won
    To Be Reissued With New Remastering Supervised By Jimmy Page

Including The Album’s Debut Release On Vinyl And Blu-ray Audio,
    Along With Super Deluxe Boxed Set, CD, And Digital Versions

On September 7, 1968, John Bonham, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, and Robert Plant first took the stage together in Gladsaxe, Denmark. Then billed as “The New Yardbirds,” the band would assemble in the studio for the first time later that month to start recording their debut album as Led Zeppelin, and rock ‘n’ roll would never be the same again. Before the band’s 50th Anniversary celebration officially begins in September, Led Zeppelin will continue their reissue campaign with a new edition of their celebrated live album HOW THE WEST WAS WON, originally released in 2003, featuring newly remastered audio, which was done under the supervision of Jimmy Page. Details of additional Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary releases and events will be announced later this year.

HOW THE WEST WAS WON will be released on March 23 in multiple formats from Atlantic/Swan Song, including the first ever vinyl and Blu-ray Audio editions (with the Blu-ray containing hi-res 5.1 surround sound).

· CD - Remastered audio on three CDs

· Vinyl - Remastered audio on four 180-gram vinyl LPs.

· Blu-Ray Audio - 96kHz/24 bit 5.1 (DTS-HD Master Audio Surround) and stereo mixes (PCM Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo).

· Streaming & Digital Download – Remastered audio.

· Super Deluxe Boxed Set

o Remastered audio on three CDs and four 180-gram vinyl LPs.
    o DVD of album in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and PCM Stereo, plus photo gallery.
    o High-def download card of all stereo audio content at 96kHz/24 bit.
    o A book filled with rare and previously unpublished photos of the band at each of the concert locations, plus memorabilia and ephemera.
    o High-quality print of the original album cover, the first 30,000 of which will be individually numbered.

Originally released in 2003, HOW THE WEST WAS WON highlights the best performances from Led Zeppelin’s legendary concerts at the Los Angeles Forum and Long Beach Arena on June 25 and 27, 1972. Melded together and sequenced to replicate a single concert from beginning to end, the three-CD and four-LP collections capture the band at the height of its formidable powers. Standouts include a 25-plus minute version of “Dazed And Confused” and a 21-minute medley based around “Whole Lotta Love.” The performances also capture the band introducing songs from its then-unreleased album Houses Of The Holy, which would be released nine months later.
    [​IMG]

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  9. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

LOL - don't you wish now that it was at least Earl's Court?

10. Adam Ryan Watson.

This will not be the only release. It's too early to get upset or hit the panic button. Before everyone starts bashing this release consider that zeppelin 50th anniversary celebration has been confirmed to officially start in September. If this was the only release we would not be getting it this early they would hold of untill the celebration begins. Page said unheard zeppelin will be released and there are no bonus tracks on the remaster. This is just a continuation of the catalouge remasters and has nothing to do with the 50th anniversary. It's the only album in the catalogue that has not been remastered so they are probably just releasing it now to get it done and out of the way

tinnox, Sean, johnny q and 3 others like this.
  11. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Major disappointment for me that it's their first of the recent reissue campaign to not include any bonus material. Even the 2007 TSRTS soundtrack was expanded.

12. Overthehillsandfaraway

Looks like our hope of an EC release has gone the way of the actual building, i.e. demolished

13. Didn't the original CD release from 2003 get murdered though for the awful mastering? I seem to remember a lot of people complaining on here.

Norco74 likes this.
  14. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Agree. This is a missed opportunity.

superstar19 likes this.
  15. superstar19

The mastering on that CD was not ideal for sure. It's close to my limit of what I'll tolerate but I'm not as down on it as many on the forum here are. Hopefully this release will be much more tastefully mastered, but I don't know if that will be enough to get me to fork over ~$150 for the super deluxe.

16. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

We have to patient, gang!

At least, we have the upcoming photo book and the remaster of How The West Was Won coming out soon.

Wait until summer...hint...hint....

17. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Any releases probably won't be out until closer to the holiday season. Too early for an announcement now.

18. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

LOL
    Seeems to be the rule on this forum!

19. Adam Ryan Watson.

I don't understand why people are throwing in the towel and already complaining about what could have been. This is obviously not the 50th anniversary release. This is just part of the remaster campaign

johnny q likes this.
  20. superstar19

But it's a disappointing reissue in light of the content included on each of the previous reissues/remasters. Even the BBC Sessions reissue had extra material not included on the original release (although there we complained how that was handled too! :D)

21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`m hopeful this time it will at least sound better.
    There is still plenty of time before Zeptember.

22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Does this ends the remaster campaign?
    Even with the 2007 Song Remains The Same out there I wonder if
    The original mixes will be reissued.

23. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I would like to see - and hear - a John Davis remaster of TSRTS. The 2007 remaster was pretty compressed. I didn’t care for it at all.

steveharris and superstar19 like this.
  24. I hope to see the release of at least two live concerts in there entirety (like the recent Springsteen releases), although I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure there are complete shows that exist in the archives.

footlooseman likes this.
  25. Good question.

Wikipedia states that DTS Master Audio is a combined lossy/lossless audio format. Make what you will of that. :confused:

If the DTS-MA track is lossless then I can't see there would be any difference.

I can only guess that they've got it wrong and it's just the 5.1 mix that's in DTS-MA on the Blu-ray. I could well be wrong though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.