CBS gives “Murphy Brown” revival a 13-episode order; Candice Bergen, creator Diane English to return

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Network TV. TV in general is in a crazy golden age where it's basically impossible to keep up with all of the good stuff.

With a few exceptions, the networks have allowed themselves to become increasingly irrelevant. This string of reboots has the feel of a desperate and dying industry trying to recapture something special one last time before it's all over.

dan c

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, but at this moment it is definitely a trend or bandwagon that the networks are jumping aboard, with several of these projects having just happened or being in the works. It’s the usual network way — something works and everyone else rushes to copy it.

And most of the things you cited are remakes, not revivals with the original casts. For shows to come back years or decades later and do new seasons as if they’d never been cancelled hasn’t happened much before now.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  3. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Of the shows I listed, nine feature brand-new casts (The New Gidget, Star Trek: The Next Generation, New Monkees, The Munsters Today, Rin Tin Tin: K-9 Cop, Zorro [1990], Team Knight Rider, Lassie [1997] and The New Addams Family), and two are anthology series. That’s not most.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I'll give it a watch if her new secretary is on . . .

[​IMG]

The Hud, krock2009, Vidiot and 5 others like this.
  5. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

All of that stuff had grown old by the middle of the run of The Lucy Show and it was really worn out by Here's Lucy. To trot out the same tired routines for a 4th go round was just ridiculous.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

OK many then. And, others were Archie Bunker’s Place type continuations of shows that started the season after their parent show ended, or they were half-remakes with an old character or two... I’d still say that full on resumptions of shows like what we’ve seen lately with Will & Grace and X-Files and the upcoming Roseanne and Murphy Brown have been pretty rare (and there haven’t been so many at once) before now. In spite of all the tv history you mention it still feels slightly strange to me that there are new Will & Grace episodes on as if the show never went away.

7. AKA

8. AKA

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Man, the Corkster doesn't look like she's changed much. Good for her.
    Now someone will show some proof of her plastic surgery..............

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Wow, right. Candice was about 42 when the show started. 42->72 is a pretty big jump :)

krock2009 and AKA like this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Could they bring back Rubicon with the original cast?

Or perhaps Deadwood (yeah, I know about the rumored movies)?

Or EZ Streets?

krock2009 and agentalbert like this.
  12. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

As sitcoms go, Murphy Brown should project an excellent counterpoint to the Roseanne reboot. :-popcorn:

:cheers:
    Cat

driverdrummer likes this.
  13. AKA

‘Murphy Brown’ Revival To Take On Cable Morning Show Wars: More Details

Murphy Brown’ Revival To Take On Cable Morning Show Wars: More Details

[​IMG]

by Nellie Andreeva
    May 16, 2018 7:59am

Murphy Brown is returning to CBS next fall, 20 years after the classic comedy ended its original run on the network. Per the official show description, the revival centers on “the eponymous broadcast news legend, played by Candice Bergen, and her biting take on current events, now in a world of 24-hour cable, social media, ‘fake news’ and a vastly different political climate.”

Following CBS’ upfront press breakfast, the network’s executives revealed more details about the setup of Murphy Brown 2.0, which comes from original’s creator Diane English.

Murphy is now anchoring a cable morning show, Murphy In the Morning,with her old team, lifestyle reporter Corky Sherwood (Faith Ford), investigative journalist Frank Fontana (Joe Regalbuto) and producer Miles Silverberg (Grant Shaud). Murphy’s grownup son, Avery (Jake McDorman), who shares his mother’s competitive spirit and quick wit, and has followed in her journalistic footsteps, is on a rival cable morning show that airs against Murphy In the Morning.

When someone pointed out similarities to the Fox & Friends and Morning Joe rivalry, CBS Entertainment president Kelly Kahl called that “pretty good characterization.”

Murphy Brown will air Thursday night at 9:30 PM, behind what CBS calls “Prime Chuck block,” the Chuck Lorre-produced The Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon and Mom. Tyne Daly co-stars.

Asked about ratings expectations following the blockbuster success to fellow 1980s sitcom revival Roseanne on ABC, Kahl said, “We’re extremely hopeful. We’d love to get Roseanne numbers,” he said while cautioning, “I’m not sure we’re going to get Roseanne numbers.”

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  14. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

My bet is on "Wheel of Fortune" - THE MOVIE!

905 likes this.
  15. AKA

16. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

It actually looks good, makes me want to go back and revisit the show again.

17. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Still the Beaver is the only revival/continuation of an original series to reach 100+ episodes in both incarnations.

krock2009 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

The 2nd incarnation of Dragnet was 98 regular episodes plus a 2-hour pilot movie.

krock2009 likes this.
  19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Here's a recent photo of Candace as Murphy:

[​IMG]

20. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I'd watch that!

NUNZI likes this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

ummmmmm............wow

krock2009 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Her face kind of looks like Jane Curtin too.

krock2009, Gems-A-Bems and Jimmy B. like this.
  23. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Miles now looks a little like Stephen Colbert to me.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  24. AKA

I mean, she’s 72 years old.

25. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

finally todd rundgren's excellent tune family values will be relevant again :D

krock2009 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.