I found a JVC-XRCD I really like....Kenny Dorham "Quiet Kenny"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I've been meaning to post this for a long time.

The JVC XRCD of Kenny Dorham's "Quiet Kenny" sounds really nice.

Actually, it sounds just like the master tape; no top end eq "air" added or anything.

And when I say it sounds like the master tape, I can speak as one who knows because I had the actual two-track Van Gelder master tape with me in the studio working on the 45 RPM vinyl and as I listened to this XRCD and A/B'd them and they are darn close.

This JVC-XRCD was mastered by Alan Yoshida at the old A&M Mastering Studio on LaBrea Blvd.

If this sounds amazing, there must be other JVC XRCD's without that annoying EQ top end tweak..

Anyone?

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

That is a great disc musically, as well. I lucked into an XRCD promo haul at College Park's used CD store, CDepot, some years ago, and that one may have been the best of the lot.

joshm2286 and ZippyPippy like this.
  3. GabeG

GabeG New Member

As far as I know Alan Yoshida mastered all of the american originated Xrcds under Akira Taguchi's supervision. All are uniformly excellent. Whether any top end boost exists, I couldn't say for sure not having heard the original tapes. However, none have ever bothered due to brightness.

joshm2286 likes this.
  4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Steve, since the sound wasn't offensive, did the XRCD (per XRCD promotional hype) seem to do anything better, sound wise, as a process or set of parameters than yer typical 16 bit mastering? In other words, did it one up any other CD due to anything beyond the good mastering choices? Thanks.

joshm2286 likes this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

6. David Cunningham

David Cunningham Forum Resident

"Quite Kenny" is one of my go-to jazz albums. I grew up in a household that listened to music most of the day. Jazz and Top 40 were the primary genres that I was exposed to as a child in the late 60s into the early 70s. TV was reserved for evenings only. This XRCD brings back great memories for me and I find it very easy and soothing to listen to.

I see that Kevin is remastering the "Quiet Kenny" album and it should be coming out in the near future, hopefully. Do you think that Kevin will bring out anything new with his mastering? I will be anxious to compare them.

As for other XRCDs, I missed the boat on most of these earlier releases. Besides the "Quiet Kenny" release, I really enjoy the XRCD release of Modern Jazz Quartet's "Concorde". This is another one of my go-to discs that I play quite often.

Are there other early XRCDs that Alan Yoshida has done that you recommend?

7. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Their release of the Ray Bryant Trio, from the same 2003 series as Quiet Kenny, is sublime. I have quiet Kenny on the AP 45 rpm set. This one will be hard to top!

Trevor_Bartram likes this.
  8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I have this release and it’s a great listen. Very nice sounding indeed. I have quite a few XRCD’s and I’m impressed by all of them.

joshm2286 likes this.
  9. Vinyl Fan 1973

Alan Yoshida did Hank Mobley’s Soul Station On XRCD and that is one of my faves, simply outstanding.

10. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Indeed. Best digital mastering to date.

joshm2286 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  11. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Any opinions on the Bill Evans Sunday at the Village Vanguard ?

12. Steve Hoffman

As written here before, this is the one to get. Not Waltz For D. though.

David Cunningham likes this.
  13. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

OK. OJC for Waltz for D?

Thanks.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  14. Vinyl Fan 1973

15. David Cunningham

I am assuming that you are referring to the Audio Wave XRCD24 issue. I have all of that series so far. Impressed with Alan's work on these.

joshm2286 likes this.
  16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Yes, that’s the series.

joshm2286 likes this.
  17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Cool! I've never heard this, so it's now in my Apple Music queue "(Rudy Van Gelder Remaster)"-if I like it I'll have to hunt down the disc I suppose.

joshm2286 likes this.
  18. David Cunningham

KT, I was able to order the last copy of Ray Bryant Trio XRCD from Amazon, itself, which arrived today. I'm on my second pass through already and love it. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention. Although my wallet might disagree.

19. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Glad you enjoy it! I've had it for years, but I might think about exploring some of the other titles in the series, because the few I have heard are great.

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Which others have the annoying top end tweak?

joshm2286 likes this.
  21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Great album.

22. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

I purchased this pressing online and listened to a few tracks last night and wow I was impressed how natural it sounded when compared to the 1999 RVG CD. I know that remaster doesn't get good marks from some it sounds ok at best.

Soul Station Audio Wave XRCD is the way to go imo.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Reopened by request. Played this today. Perfect.

24. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Wow I don't know how I overlooked this album. I have Afro-Cuban and Whistle Stop which I like. I am listening now on Spotify. The playing and composition are fairly decent, a bit generic, but solid. I think he gives a much more inspiring performance on Andrew Hill's album "Point of Departure" which to me to is a more original and ground breaking work and how I first came to hear of him. I wonder why Kenny is not more well known, seems like maybe more of a musician's musician?

25. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.