My favorite albums of 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scompton, Jan 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scompton

scompton Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've finally been getting around to organizing my favorite new releases from 2017. I'll post favorites in genres first and finally my over all favorites. I'll start with the easier genres, ones I didn't buy as much.

2. scompton

Folk

I bought a bit more Folk music this year than in most years. It wasn't hard to narrow it down to five though
    1. House and Land - House and Land
    2. Offa Rex - The Queen of Hearts
    3. Nassau - Heron
    4. Bedouine - Bedouine
    5. Laura Cannell - HUNTER HUNTRESS HAWKER

carlwm likes this.
  3. scompton

House and Land - House and Land

House and Land is the duo of Sally Anne Morgan on fiddle, shruti box, banjo, vocals, and Sarah Louise Henson on vocals, 12-string guitar, shruti box, bouzouki. Thom Nguyen plays drums on some tracks. It's old-timey Appalachian music from Asheville, NC. I really like the rawness of it. It was the Bandcamp Album of the Day in June which is how I discovered it.

[​IMG]

stefane and carlwm like this.
  4. scompton

Offa Rex - The Queen of Hearts

I saw this on Qobuz the week it came out and gave a listen. It also showed up on the Best of 2017 thread. It's folk rock in the vein of Steeleye Span or Fairport Convention. A couple of the songs were also done by Steeleye Span. I found out afterwards it's a collaboration between the Decemberists and English folk artist Olivia Chaney.

[​IMG]

zphage and driverdrummer like this.
  5. scompton

Nassau - Heron

This a bi-coastal duo out of Brooklyn and Portland, OR Also another Bandcamp Album of the Day. I'm not familiar with the Psychedelic Folk genre, but it's an apt descriptions of this music IMO. It mixes psychedelic guitars, drums and a little bit of electronics.

[​IMG]

Bandcamp: Heron, by Nassau

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    zphage and carlwm like this.
  6. scompton

Bedouine - Bedouine

This great singer-songwriter type folk. I first heard of it on the Best of 2017 thread. Since I don't always like this style of music, I almost skipped over it. Glad I didn't.

[​IMG]

carlwm and mishima's dog like this.
  7. scompton

Laura Cannell - HUNTER HUNTRESS HAWKER

This was a late in the year purchase. This is a hard to classify album. It's solo violin free improvisation, but improvisation in a folk music or classical early music vein instead of jazz. I thought it fit best on this list.

[​IMG]

Bandcamp: HUNTER HUNTRESS HAWKER, by Laura Cannell

8. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

There's a lot of talented people out there. :)

Panama Hotel and carlwm like this.
  9. scompton

Early Music
    1. Graindelavoix - Vecchi: Requiem – Rubens's Funeral & The Antwerp Baroque
    2. Stile Antico - Giaches de Wert: Divine Theatre, Sacred Motets
    3. Graindelavoix - Music for an Antwerp Church - International polyphony in Antwerp around 1600
    4. Musica Secreta/Celestial Sirens - Lucrezia Borgia's Daughter - Princess, Nun and Musician - Motets from a 16th century convent
    5. La fonte musica - Michele Pasotti : Metamorfosi Trecento

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    zphage and bluemooze like this.
  10. scompton

Graindelavoix - Vecchi: Requiem – Rubens's Funeral & The Antwerp Baroque

Graindelavoix is becoming my favorite early music vocal ensemble. I love the slight rawness to their singing. A lot of early music ensembles can be very smooth sounding. While that's fine, I find I also like the edginess that groups like Graindelavoix have.
    [​IMG]

EVOLVIST and bluemooze like this.
  11. scompton

Stile Antico - Giaches de Wert: Divine Theatre, Sacred Motets

Stile Antico is one of the smoother ensembles. Nether the less, they produce some great music. Any album they put out is an auto buy for me, especially if it has a new to me composer like this one does.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, no YouTube videos but it is streamable on Spotify (and most other streaming sites) Giaches de Wert: Divine Theatre, Sacred Motets

bluemooze likes this.
  12. scompton

Graindelavoix - Music for an Antwerp Church - International polyphony in Antwerp around 1600

Another Graindelavoix album. I just like the works better on the other one.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  13. scompton

Musica Secreta/Celestial Sirens - Lucrezia Borgia's Daughter - Princess, Nun and Musician - Motets from a 16th century convent

Anonymous music from the mid 1500's that may have been composed by Lucrezia Borgia's daughter. Very nice polyphony for female voices composed to be sung by nuns in a convent.

[​IMG]

Again not available on YouTube but is available on Spotify and other streaming sites Lucrezia Borgia's Daughter

Interesting video talking about the music and the possibly of it being written by Borgia's daughter.

bluemooze likes this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Kudos, Scompton. You've already introduced me to a shed-load of great music. Please keep this thread going!

scompton likes this.
  15. scompton

La fonte musica / Michele Pasotti - Metamorfosi Trecento

The only album on the list that includes instrumental accompaniment to the singing. This is also the only album in the list that has music from composers I already know. The other four albums are all new composers for me.

I was first attached to the odd cover art, but the music really dragged me in. The album is made up late medieval vocal and instrumental pieces based on myths of transformation. For example, one song is about Circe turning Odysseus's men turned into pigs in the Odyssey. Since I don't understand Latin, I can't really follow the songs so the theme is really lost on me. It's just great music. At least the cover image makes sense once you know the theme of the album.

[​IMG]

16. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I bought this SACD just last month. It is quite good ...

I am close to having all the SACD's released by the group.

17. scompton

Well I bought 367 new releases last year so I have a lot I can go though. It's been tough narrowing it down. As I was going though this, I realized some albums I thought were new were really reissues. I'll post some of those as well. They won't be reissues of big artists, but more obscure stuff.

carlwm likes this.
  18. scompton

I have all of their albums. They really haven't put out a bad one. Check out Graindelavoix if you haven't heard them. I don't have all of their albums yet but probably will by the end of this year.

19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

:righton::righton:

My goodness. I bought 34 & though I was ahead of the game. Hats off!:tiphat:

20. scompton

ESG - Step Off

This is one of the reissues I didn't know was a reissue. I actually had composed a post about this as the second post in the thread before I realized it was a reissue. I thought this great band from the late 70s / early 80s had reformed and put out a great album. No such luck. This album was originally released in 2002. This was going to be my favorite Soul/R&B/Funk release, I only bought two, before finding out it was a reissue.

ESG is or was a R&B/Funk band that were influential with some early Hip-Hop artists. I first heard of them in the early 2000s as a recommendation of a band similar to Liquid Liquid, another band from the same time period that was sampled in early Hip-Hop albums. The only other ESG album I have is South Bronx Story, a compilation of some of their early music that Soul Jazz records put out in 2000.

[​IMG]

SecondHandNews and zphage like this.
  21. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I bought quite a few cds last year. I did the top 10 list of my favorites. I also did the 2017 new release thread for a bit.
    Of everything I bought here are my top 3.

Tyler Childers - Purgatory
    Suzanne Santo - Ruby Red
    Nikki Lane - Highway Queen

Tyler Childers is a Kentuckian who's debut album was produced by Sturgill Simpson. It's full of country twang and songs about living hard and wild.

adad, zphage, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  22. scompton

There's such an amazing amount of great music being produce now and, at least for me, it's pretty easy to find. It wouldn't have been hard for me to have bought 600 new releases if I had the time. I have at least 50 release from last year in wish lists on various web sites that I never had time to check out.

Kingsley Fats and carlwm like this.
  23. scompton

I didn't pull the trigger on any country new releases this year. The closest is House and Land which is more Americana. I did buy some country and bluegrass reissues. Some of them may have come out before 2017 though.

Nice Marmot likes this.
  24. Nice Marmot

Suzanne Santo is from the duo of HoneyHoney and her album is a very sultry presentation of a woman's view of relationships.

SilkHammer likes this.
  25. Nice Marmot

Nikki Lane is another country artist that I'm an admitted fan boy of, for good reason.

zphage likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.