Schiit Audio (Mike Moffat) designs turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thouston, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I’m very interested in a Schiit turntable. I’ve been happy with their products I’ve bought (Mani, magni, sys), they seem to be affordable priced higher quality products. When im ready to upgrade my beginner turntable, something from them under $1000 should be a noticeable step up and the same high quality, unfussy but good looking design, big time bang for your buck.

Bill likes this.
  2. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

How confident are people with Schiit getting the design perfect with the first iteration? I'm worried it will take a few versions to get all the 'wrinkles' worked out. I mean this is their first turntable. I'm definitely eager to see what they release. The ability to have multiple arms for additional carts at a speculative 'good' price is intriguing for sure.

baconbadge and patient_ot like this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I would say my confidence level with most new products from any company is usually around the level of "wait and see". I would say the signs are good because they don't seem to be rushing this to market. That said, I'm not sure I'm the target market for this turntable. I am definitely paying attention though out of sheer curiosity to see what they come up with once the retail model hits the market.

4. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

I've heard the Prototype at their retail store in Newhall. Even at an early level, it's very good sounding. And they're trying to make it very user-friendly for angle and azimuth adjustments, etc. It's going to be innovative at its price

5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I know right, dropping the bomb with the Nagaoka and Denon recommendations ;^D

russk, zombiemodernist and 33na3rd like this.
  6. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Amen!

H8SLKC likes this.
  7. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

In what way? I think both those brands punch way above their price points. Having used both these brands (as well as others), I can see why he would call them out. Compared to Audio-Technica offerings, I personally think they both are definitely less prominent in the treble region. Then again, I think what he was trying to say is, you might want to try something reasonable from these two brands before shelling out more $ for something more exotic - you might like what you hear.

I think Mike and I definitely like a similar sound. :)

russk and Leonthepro like this.
  8. Leonthepro

This seems to be a big consensus and while I have not tried widely different carts personally Im quite happy with the performance of my Nag myself.

9. russk

russk Forum Resident

I love Denon Carts and Nags are really nice and underrated. It was nice to see them getting some credit

Leonthepro and zombiemodernist like this.
  10. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Cool audio company. Noted..Made in USA...

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  11. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I’ll echo this sentiment as well. The MP-110 and DL-110 are both the best in their range I’ve tried. I’ve owned (and still own) a few Shures, had a few ATs, and head plenty of Grado in the wild, and none of those brands have a model that competes with the sound of the Nag ~$100. Unsurprisingly, for a $100ish cart, the main flaw of the Nag is tracking of sibilants, and treble extension.

The Denon is a great step up here, getting the sweet highs of an MC, mich cleaner tracking, all while keeping a sane, neural tonal balance. Both carts are sane, well designed classics. I’m sure I could get much better sound for more money, but for those two price brackets I think these are the best entry level carts.

Leonthepro likes this.
  12. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

If they Schiit out a direct replacement/successor for the Eagle PSU/Roadrunner Tach, it's as good as bought.

13. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Schitt, I'll buy it. Love my Modi. But since I'm a late adopter, probably not til the Mk II or III

14. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Anyone hear any new news on this turntable?
    Thnx, B.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  15. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Vaporware apparently...

16. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

Saw an interview with Jason saying that they hoped to launch the table sometime this Summer. Considering it's nearly June and given the multiple delays previous product launches like the Vidar had it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't come out until December.

patient_ot and AlmanacZinger like this.
  17. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

Exactly my thoughts. Version 2 will see me trying one out.

patient_ot and AlmanacZinger like this.
  18. Leonthepro

Floral Shoppe...

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Truer words have never been spoken. This price range needs some serious disruption and shaking up and new ideas of how to get the most performance possible for the budget. And this is the happy place pricewise for many people. The USA marketplace needs a really killer $500 turntable and tonearm right now so badly. Which is good enough for music lovers with trained ears. A common sense idea too long in coming.

dmckean, jupiterboy and bajaed like this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Acoustic Research did it all day long for under $100 as late as 1975. An AR XA in proper operating condition today with a reasonable cartridge takes around $1600 for me to get in the ballpark performance wise with anything new. Without drawbacks I can't live with. I never had to buy a subplatter upgrade or speed controller for the AR either. It met strict speed accuracy criteria too, the NAB standards, and warranted to do so. Only platter start up time was the exception (most home users can live with that). Think pauper's Thorens level performance. Wasn't fancy, but got the job done without fuss of giving me the music without adding or subtracting anything, or editorializing. If this basic design were revived in mass production (with the armtube changed to SME type pattern), and $400 or less, it would still be a winner today!

Gumboo, H8SLKC and 33na3rd like this.
  21. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I keep on thinking about U-Turn here, and an email I sent to them a year ago now. If they "beefed up" their current design they could easily create a winning design without much additional engineering, creating an Orbit-Plus for what should be under $500. Thicker plinth, thicker platter, larger-diameter subplatter of same design, upgraded arm of same design, perhaps an upgraded isolation material for the motor. This was when U-Turn was sending out surveys to users asking for their ideas about other components, amplifiers and the like, and it seemed to me (and I responded so) that they were missing an opportunity to build upon their successful entry into the turntable market.

As fas as I can tell, U-Turn has done nothing of note since then regarding growth, neither offering an upgraded/more substantial turntable, nor coming to market with other components. Even the blog portion of their site has gone stale. I feel as though they are missing an opportunity to build market share, but what do I know? I have no interest in a U-Turn amp or receiver but perhaps their market analysis says otherwise. Or, perhaps they see their successful entry with turntables as something that will soon fade and they need to produce DACs for the long haul.

We'll see what Schiit does in the space.

22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Nah, think they're calling it the Schiitable.

McLover and bajaed like this.
  23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

U-Turn Orbit's current design doesn't use a subplatter. And they have an Orbit Plus, and Orbit Special, both of which appear to tick at least some of your boxes for less than $500. And they've upgraded the arm design since they began.

24. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

No subplatter? What's that plastic disc the platter rides on then? I'm looking at it right now. Also, I own the special walnut, which I praise here all of the time and love. However, it would be a better machine (IMO) with the "plus-ups" I described in my post. I have taken this thing apart to the last screw so I know of which I speak about the Orbit. Wonderful, simple, would be better with thicker plinth, thicker platter and larger-diameter sub-platter assembly, and an arm/counterweight that would accept a larger range of cartridges. Again, all IMO, but would make for a helluva turntable in the category above pure entry level.

But, it appears that U-Turn intends to be more like Schiit with a wider range of equipment, while Schiit takes forever to produce (if ever?) a turntable design.

25. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

My mistake on the subplatter--I was thinking of subplatter-driven designs like the Pro-Ject Debut or Regas, where the U-Turn is platter-driven, but you are right, there is a small subplatter there.

Wasn't suggesting you didn't know about the Orbit Special upgrades, just wondering if you did, and if they ticked those boxes you mentioned. If they don't fully get you there, that's cool. I agree that the design could be improved upon for probably not much more money. They could probably do something truly killer in the $600-800 range.

H8SLKC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.