Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Since I went all in on WR with the complete box I’ve really got a lot of listening in store :sweating:. So far I’ve been working on just the first 3 albums; I can definitely say that if one of these would’ve been my first exposure to them then my perception of them all of these years would’ve been completely different (who knows, maybe my entire life’s path would’ve been different and I’d be a completely different person now :eek:), not at all cocktail jazz.

2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

My commuting music tonight:
    [​IMG]
    Besides the obligatory "Turnaroundphrase>Tune In 5" opening, I'd love to know what the other pieces are that comprise the "Zimbabwe" track.

DTK, Six String, Juggsnelson and 6 others like this.
  3. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Eri Yamamoto - Colors

[​IMG]

I really dig Yamamoto's playing, especially on her trio albums. She mainly plays her own originals... they tend to be catchy and melodic and she plays with a lot of warmth and flavour. One of my favourite contemporary jazz pianists. I think that she flies under a lot of people's radars: i know that she did for me for a long time. When i caught the bug i snapped up everything i could by her and have followed her ever since. Matthew Shipp is another favourite, and it's kind of cool that Shipp digs her playing from what i understand (she released one album on Thirsty Ear's Blue Series). Anyway, there's a lot to enjoy on this and her many other albums if you're keen.

yasujiro, bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  4. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

You probably don't know that "Strawberry Letter 23" is a Shuggie Otis song. He has this amazing soul/blues/psychedelic record:
    Inspiration Information from 1974.
    [​IMG]
    It's available on a reissued/enhanced (album+additional tracks) CD:
    [​IMG]
    That is the one I'm listening too. Makes me go Aht Uh Mi Hed.

PS: George Duke plays on it.

5. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

I just picked up a Shuggie LP called Freedom Flight a couple of days ago. The extra songs on the Inspiration Information reissue are from this album. Nice stuff.

Yesternow likes this.
  6. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I prefer the later material to those old Blue Note albums. Contrasts on ECM is another excellent Rivers session. And the live set, Celebration that I uploaded the image for is also a great listen.

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

ISTBE was one of my first jazz albums. I bought it because of a hype sticker with a Frank Zappa quote. It was the current album at the time. I decided that if Frank said it was ok I should check it out. A few months ago my buddy's shop got a copy still in shrink and it had that same hype sticker. Yeah, the group did change a bit over time but not surprising based on the strong musicians who joined. They were bound to make their mark. I only have albums up to and including Heavy Weather these days. Some were lost in a flood or traded in. Sweetnighter is my first choice when it comes to spinning WR.

NP Miles Davis Quintet - Round About Midnight (MoFi) lp

Henry Please and dzhason like this.
  8. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I thought Strawberry Letter was on Freedom Flight which you should track down for the great track Sweet Thing. Maybe the re-issue CD of Inspiration Information has Strawberry Letter on it. The title track and Aht Uh Mi Hed are my favorites off that.

9. Yesternow

WorldB3,
    That reissue includes
    the 9 tracks from the original album,
    plus 4 Freedom Flight tracks:
    Strawberry Letter 23
    Sweet Thang
    Ice Cold Daydream
    Freedom Flight​
    It's a great CD.

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Red Garland Trio with John Coltrane - Dig It! (Prestige) dark blue mono lp

NP Dexter Gordon - Gettin' Around (Blue Note) Music Matters

Morbius and DTK like this.
  11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well, it's....the tune known as "Zimbabwe". Around 21:53

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    ohnothimagen likes this.
  12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

After a few hours of "Memo Madness" on the tube, then some snow shoveling, and then some household chores, Fiona the dachshund and I are taking a "chill pill" spell listening to

Antonio Carlos Jobim, "Stone Flower" (the CTI Supreme Blu-Spec CD version this time)
    [​IMG]

And then
    "John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman" (the UHQCD version this time)
    [​IMG]

vanhooserd, bluemooze, Joe F and 6 others like this.
  13. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

"Classic Artie Shaw Bluebird and Victor Sessions" Mosaic Records disc 1
    [​IMG]

Moebius, bluemooze, Joe F and 2 others like this.
  15. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

jay.dee likes this.
  16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

You can follow them on bandcamp and you'll get an email every time they release an album.

17. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

Thank you, I‘ll give it a try. Truth be told, I know that bandcamp exists and I have stumbled over it from time to time and previewed a few songs, but I never even remotely explored the possibilities of that platform.

18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I like it because a lot of times, you are buying directly from the artist.

Marzz and Roger Thornhill like this.
  19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Art Pepper - Gettin' Together (Contemporary) Japanese cd

NP Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite (Riverside) Victor Japan cd

Horns-a-plenty.

20. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

21. Yesternow

From Sketches of Spain to On the Corner, Big Fun to Kind of Blue, ESP to Pangaea...

He had such an impeccable taste that I never get tired of him.
    Such a wide discography that you can get almost a bit of everything.

So this week I was into "Spiritual" jazz (a lot of Pharoah), so I'm making a smooth transition with: Ascent (complete in a silent way disc2)
    [​IMG]
    Again, another incredible tune not used for release when recorded. This is Jack De Johnette's first studio session and the first Zawinul composition.
    [​IMG]
    Like a lot of people say: "I always find something new when I listen to Miles". And for "ascent" this is very true.

22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Bandcamp is dope. I got several Wayne Krantz and a couple of Edward Simon CDs through it this week.

Speaking of dope, this next hip-hop album is super chill and is my favorite in the genre; I wanted to get it from the artist's bandcamp at the same time as the Krantz and Simon, but it wasn't listed. Since I've had my eyes peeled for it in the wild for over a decade to no avail I decided to finally discogs it.

Seven Star - My Mother and Father were Astronauts (Counterflow Recordings, CD)

[​IMG]

Really, IMO, this is pretty much a perfect album. It's hard to choose a single track to recommend one to start with as a sample, but if you randomly chose between one of the following you'd be fine:
    • Inhuman
    • Super Natural Tangents
    • An Errors End
    • Alice (Remix)
    • Conscious Evolution
    • Outro for Angel
    • Irate MC (Remix)
    Edit: If one were to twist my arm, I might choose "Super Natural Tangents" as my fave; twist a little harder, I might choose "Inhuman".

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  23. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

When the hype sticker says Hoffman, Bellman, and Grundman were involved, you KNOW ITS GOING TO BE GOOD!!
    [​IMG]

Moebius, kfan, fatwad666 and 7 others like this.
  24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Time to watch the 11/7/67 - Karlsruhe, Germany set from:

Miles Davis Quintet - Live in Europe 1967, The Bootleg Series Vol. 1

[​IMG]

25. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

Kamasi Washington..Harmony of Difference
    [​IMG]