Best Buy to stop selling CDs in-store this year

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by DorothyV, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

No surprise

3. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

The Best Buys in Vancouver stopped selling them ages ago (I think).

Matthew Tate and Dave like this.
  4. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

The last CD I bought at a Best Buy was the Beatles Hollywood Bowl disc almost a year and a half ago. Big whoop.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

While I was at Best Buy the other day, looking for the 4K Blu-ray of "Planet Earth II", I walked through the very small and surely embarrassing selection of CD's that they now have. It seems just like a few years ago that it was two long rows of CD's and a great selection of these wacky discs that no one ever looked at, except me, called DVD-A and SACD's. Oh ..., the GOOD OLD DAYS!

fuse999 and jsayers like this.
  6. 905

905 Senior Member

Their selection shrunk so much I haven't looked in a long time. But I have fond memories of ten and more years ago. I used to work down the street from a Best Buy and would spend a whole lunch hour looking at CDs.

7. Younger people (with exception of those who like vinyl) are just not doing physical media. If it doesn't fit in the phone, they don't want it, and the mobility is prized more than security or any special things that might come with a physical edition. I'm not sure this is either good or bad. It's just different prioritization. In a couple of generations, there will be 150 years of recorded music to parse through and own if one wants a deep collection. When I started, the album era was still only about 30-40 years old. I'm not sure it's going to be possible to stay physical in coming years unless you want a very narrow collection.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

does best buy even sell anything other than tvs and phones, they could close the stores and sell em out of a bookmobile. 40.50.60 inch on that side, other side heres our phones.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

From the size of the CD section at my local Best Buy it would appear they stopped selling years ago.

10. live evil

live evil Senior Member

I literally could not name the last cd I purchased at Best Buy. It’s probably been at least a couple of years.

Twenty years ago I was amazed at how good of a selection they had for a big box store.

Matthew Tate, Hadean75 and Benno123 like this.
  11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Well said - agree completely.

Matthew Tate and Hadean75 like this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not just Best Buy, as per that article. Target is starting to play hard ball also.

Matthew Tate and melstapler like this.
  13. PsychedelicMike

PsychedelicMike Forum Resident

They will sell them again in 10 or 20 years again during the cd revival.

My local store recently started selling vinyl.

Each generation or two rebels against the prior. I predict the next one after this tech savy one will be anti-tech. So instead of whatever file format is popular then they will return to physical form as a novelty. Same as now with vinyl (sans audiophile reasons.)

14. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

tapes man, its tapes day in the sun

905 likes this.
  15. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Older people aren't buying a lot of Kanye West or Pink, so no big deal. Maybe CDs can still get cheaper, hope-a hope-a.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    reverberationmusic likes this.
  16. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Best Buy's in Canada stopped selling cd's years ago, they barely have and dvd's or blurays now either.

Matthew Tate and Benno123 like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

par for the course...

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Very sad. Both had pretty slim pickings for CDs over the past few years, but they were the only major brick & mortar places left. Now it looks like even that is on its way out.

20. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

I go to both stores often, and their music selection has dwindled to the point of being pathetic.

21. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

One thing that gets me is that I have a local mom and pop store about 20 minutes from where I live that used to be full to the rafters with CDs, new and used. I knew they carried vinyl and I went a few weeks ago when I started buying vinyl again and, after not being there f R awhile, I was shocked to see that the inventory is probably 65% records / 35% cds. Overall they probably do have more CDs just because of the size but definitely mor floor space and square footage for records now — all new vinyl, they go not sell anything used anymore.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Support your local independent retailers.

23. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Well, that means I have to go to Reckless Records more often.

24. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

It's sad when Wal-Mart is the best place to go in town for music. At least Wal-Mart has music.

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.