Franz Ferdinand Always Ascending 2/9/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neonbeam, Feb 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary Thread Starter

Haven't seen a thread on this but next Friday will see the release of FF's fifth album "Always Ascending". Their first since 2013 and their first album to feature new member Julian Corrie, who replaced Nick McCarthy.

Domino will release three vinyl versions: Standard black, limited pink and a 1500 run on white vinyl with signed photo. And a cassette!

Never heard "Right Thoughts etc" but liked "ffs" and bought "Franz Ferdinand" on the day of its release. "Always Ascending" might be the first FF album I'm looking forward to since "You Could Have It So Much Better":righton::righton::righton:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I pre-ordered some limited edition of this ages ago and sort of forgot about it. I am slightly suspicious of the haircuts of those two new members, but the high quality of FFS means I'm more charitably disposed towards them. Right Thoughts, Right Words etc. was pretty good, but to me FFS is the only time they've exceeded the quality of their debut.

bob60 and Neonbeam like this.
  3. Neonbeam

Me too, I actually had to do some research to find out where I had ordered it from. I like the Domino label and I figured it couldn't be a mistake to preorder a signed edition for a reasonable price.

Apparently FF have learnt something because "Right Thoughts"'s "Passport Edition" was really pushing it.

4. PretzelLogic

Yeah...chalk me up as one of the mugs who bought this. Can't even think why now.

Neonbeam likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Well... I thought it was an attractive set. And quality comes at a price. But.... I forgot how much it originally was.... it was excessive for a band that wasn't exactly on top of its game.

One French guy still fancies 500€ for it on Discogs. Good luck to him. One could have it so much cheaper:laughup:

6. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I’ve bought every album they’ve put out till now but I’m going to sit this one out. They haven’t done anything to upset me-Right Thoughts...was as good an album as they’ve ever put out and Johnny Delusional off the FFS album is one of the best things I’ve heard by either of the constituent bands-but this is looking to be a comparatively expensive February for record purchases and something has to give. Sadly, that’s got to be an album by a band I only quite like.

Neonbeam likes this.
  7. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I put Franz right up there with the Arctic Monkeys as the two best rock bands today.

FJFP likes this.
  8. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Only have FFS because of Sparks’ involvement. They always reminded me of the Postcard bands like Orange Juice and Josef K. I thought they were yesterday’s band, but FFS was very good, but I’m a big Sparks fan, not so much FF.

9. Neonbeam

The Discogs entry is pretty confusing because it lists 145 gm, 180gm and even a 200gm pressing for "Always Ascending". All vinyl releases come with download, eight page glossy 12x12 lyric book and poster.

The deluxe aspect seems to be the weight. The indie retail is on pink vinyl, like the black wax edition Discogs lists it as both 145 and 180gr release. Then there's the 1500 copies bundle edition on white/ blue swirl vinyl with extra tote bag and signed photo.

And then there's indeed an exclusive German version without tote bag but with signed photo and on
    white vinyl. Initially I thought it would be the same as the UK bundle pressing but this is not mixed with blue this is indeed on pure white wax. And it also has a different hype sticker. Apparently limited to 500?!

That's is pretty confusing, isn't it? Even though I'm confident at least the 200gr release is a Discogs error:righton:

10. Neonbeam

First spin, white vinyl sounds really good. Great glossy sleeve, the signed photo is a nice touch. Didn't like any FF album as instantly since the first one.

The sound and production have a new energetic,
    neonlit feeling and Kapranos' voice has deepened. Really good!

FJFP likes this.
  11. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Just a personal observation, but is it really necessary to change the colour all the time? Especially the black is hard to read on the dark-grey background. Thank you. :)

onlysleeping likes this.
  12. Neonbeam

Well.... it's a colourful release:uhhuh:

13. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Heads up for the "NEW LPS ALWAYS COST FORTY DOLLARS!!!!!1!" crowd: vinyl currently on Amazon for $13.05.

eric777 and Neonbeam like this.
  14. MysteriousPrism

MysteriousPrism New Member

Ordered the deluxe edition, not sure if has arrived yet, but I'm away at college anyway. Got the online download today, 16/44.1 WAV, which is kind of disappointing considering Right Thoughts... downloads were higher res. The mastering also seems way too loud with some nasty clipping, with an over all DR of 5. I sincerely hope the CD or LP will be better.

15. PretzelLogic

Played the album four times today. Some good moments, but didn’t find it very immediate. Can’t decide yet if I like ‘Lois Lane’ yet, or if it’s awful.

Whoever is singing backing vocals (don’t know if it’s Paul or the new fella) is much better at it than Nick was.

raimiz1991inc and Neonbeam like this.
  16. Neonbeam

Well, I was listening to Hookworms and The Limiñanas before so this probably explains why I found the FF album very catchy :laugh:

17. Neonbeam

After several spins I really love "Always Ascending". Somehow it reminds me of Pulp's "This Is Hardcore", another "The Party's Over" album with slight menacing undertones. And hilarious lyrics: "You never realise how much eight pints are until you see them on the ground, they cover so much ground" But this being Franz Ferdinand they don't despair but rather are looking up: "Always and always and always ascending". Alex' deeper voice suits these topics very well.

Another nice touch is the release date, February 9th, 2018. Another "Franz Ferdinand" album was also released on a 9th February. 2004! :righton: Has it really been that long?

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I just ordered the 24/96 files from 7digital and will give it a spin (stream?) tonight.

19. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

This new album has taken a few listens to grow on me, but I am really loving it. At first, for some reason several of the tracks gave me the impression that they would be more fun if they had just raised the tempo slightly, but now I like them just as they are.

I've got the cassette version, which also included .wav downloads that I burned to cd. But I want to also get the pink vinyl and probably the cd as well. Unfortunately, this cassette doesn't actually sound very good - it may be silly to complain about the audio quality of a cassette, but I've purchased much better sounding ones recently.

I still miss what Nick contributed to the band, but I think the overall quality of the songs and performance on this album are a step up from their last one (but I wouldn't complain about the cost of the passport edition of RTRWRA - I absolutely loved getting all those extra records and was disappointed that they didn't offer something similar with this release). So perhaps the lineup change has somehow been inspiring, and I also agree that the quality of the background vocals is better on this album.

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. Neonbeam

Just played it again and would go as far as to call it their best album since their debut. Interested parties shouldn't be put off by some of these "Oh, they have lost it!" reviews. They actually haven't. It's hilarious that you bought this record on cassette!

That pink vinyl on the other hand.... I'd love to have it but: I can't buy a second copy of "Always Ascending". Can I? :angel:

friendofafriend likes this.
  21. stereoptic

I've asked 7digital to examine these files. To say they are clipping is putting it mildly.
    huckAndJim.JPG

eric777 and Neonbeam like this.
  22. jefferyuniverse

jefferyuniverse Well-Known Member

I will say, I have been a huge FF fan since the debut album. They've been one of my favorite bands for years. However, this is the first release that haven't immediately loved upon first listen. It's not a bad album but I think I just need to spend more time with it.

23. stereoptic

Following up on my issue with the clipping on the FLAC files from 7 digital. They have verified the problem and have requested the record company to provide new files. No date has been established yet. This is an example of great customer service. (My purchase has been refunded)

24. Neonbeam

The Berlin gig last night was superfantastisch, wasn't sure what to expect but it had a great dramaturgy and energy and a wonderful mix of old and new material. At the moment FF sound like a band on top of their game, from what I have seen they are changing the set list around quite a bit too. Here's what we got:

1. Always Ascending

2. Matinee
    3. Walk Away

4. Lois Lane
    5. Glimpse Of Love

6. Do You Want To

7. Lucid Dreams

8. Paper Cages

9. Michael

10. Slow Don't Kill Me Slow

11. Take Me Out

12. Feel The Love Go

13. Jacqueline

14. Ulysses
    Envote

1. Lazy Boy
    2. Love Illumination
    3. Huck & Jim
    4. This Fire

25. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

gotta say I have had a hard time getting into the new album. longtime fan love all their albums fairly equally. but this is easily the worst album they have done IMHO.

just not much that is getting me excited like their stuff usually does.

seeing htem live tonight so hopefully that will boost my appreciation for the new stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.