Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

Also multitracking was expensive too and I guess if you were not planning a live album there was no real incentive to pay for the recording and zeppelin has their limited exposure business model. Many other big acts from that era have limited multi track live tapes as well pink Floyd has little in the way of multitracks and seem to have less live tapes on multitrack form then zeppelin do. Black Sabbath is another band that does not seem to have multitracked much. I think their vintage live releases are all from radio broadcasts. Rush did not start numtutracking to any great extent untill 1980. And like page said he never forsaw the CD revolution or even thought people would be interested in the recordings so far into the future. I suppose multitracking for a band like the stones was a lot more feasable s9nve they owned a mobile recording truck so they did not have to worry about the expense.

2. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Sabbath recorded tons of shows on multitracks. A lot.

3. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Carnegie Hall and Zep really went all out with the staging:rolleyes::p

Sean and John Rhett Thomas like this.
  4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Was there a list somewhere of how many Zep shows were multitracked or professionally recorded? (Was it in this very thread?)

And, if there is such a list, is it guesswork or fact?

5. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

marcb, tinnox and mick_sh like this.
  6. John Rhett Thomas

Not much room on that stage for any light and shade, huh? :p

7. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

I was at the Carnegie Hall early show and had a seat above the stage. My main memory of the visual was looking down at the stage and watching Bonham solo with his bare hands - no sticks. And Page wearing his guitar so low it almost scraped the floor.The thing with a lot of the pictures I've seen of shows from back then is that they're taken with flash which kills whatever ambience there was on stage. At any rate, I love seeing even those photos. I doubt the show was recorded, but I'd love it if it was,though with my luck they only recorded the late show.

Sean, budwhite, ODShowtime and 2 others like this.
  8. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

The claustrophobic setting is quite perplexing. Every concert I've seen at Carnegie Hall (albeit 40+ years after Zeppelin played there) had the stage completely open to the back wall with no curtains or barriers present.

It's disappointing to see so many screens and baffles were used that it basically creates a stage not much bigger than a small club. Kinda ruins the mental image of a young Zeppelin thundering through a powerful set on this iconic stage:

[​IMG]

budwhite likes this.
  9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

That my friend, is what they call "the nice price!" :) Great score - it's a wonderful set for the Zephead.

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  10. John Rhett Thomas

When I bought it, the price was $92.16. It went down a full penny after that! My loss is your gain!

marcb and johnny q like this.
  11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Page looks like a young Andy Griffith

12. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Hmmm,A few more long months and maybe we`ll get some clues for the tracklisting!:yawn:
    While I`m imagining a monsterously enormous box it`s probably something like yardbirds 68!:D

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

White Summer? ;)

14. steveharris

Kevin Shirly has confirmed:
    Royal Albert Hall 1970
    LA & Long Beach 1972
    South Hampton UK 1973(Not their best)
    Madison Square Garden July 27,28,& 29,1973
    Earl`s Court 3 nights one of wich was improperly recorded,missing a bass drum or something
    Knebworth 79 both nights

Other shows are still said to have been recorded such as:
    Japan 1971,
    Bath Festival 1970 UK
    Montreau 1970,71,& October 1972
    Paris 73 rumored to be recorded for a radio show and manager Peter Grant scooped up the tapes.

bobcat likes this.
  15. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

So, those have all been officially released in some form or other, except Southampton '73, where Plant's voice is, er, on the ragged side.

This leads me to suspect that whatever comes out is something not publicly known about, or is from the latter list, with possibly Japan '71 and Montreux being favourites?

steveharris likes this.
  16. steveharris

You guys know much more about this stuff than I do,wich is why I`m glued to these threads.
    I`ve been a Zeppelin fan forever.I`d certainly like to believe Japan`71 and Montreaux are in the works!

17. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

The Montreux recordings are stereo desk recordings, I believe, taped by Claude Nobs. Black Sabbath recently released a similar recording and it sounds ace!

The Japan tapes are supposedly 16-track, but split across two 8-track tapes (!!!). They could be remixed unlike Montreux, but they would probably have to do a very careful sync job.

Rockin' Robby and steveharris like this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That wasn't any different to any staging at any other show in 1969. Very sparse. Equipment and band was pretty much it. Although I bet the Fillmore shows had those psychedelic lighting effects. :)

19. Adam Ryan Watson.

Well I'm just speaking strictly on the past years but if there are Sabbath shows from the ozzy years on multitrack could you turn me on to which ones I know everything from the vintage live album with ozzy were recorded for broadcasts.

20. steveharris

As somebody mentioned before,will this will be live recordings from one era say 68-71 or will include at least one live version of songs throughout their entire catalogue.That`s not my most important criteria but it`s interesting how this will compiled,as complete shows or highlights from different sources.
    Oh well,Justin Timberlake should be over any second and I can go back to my football game.

21. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Apat from the Live at Last shows (Manchester and Rainbow), Hammersmith 1978 and a couple of shows that were recorded for KBFH, Sabs made several attempts at recording a live album during the 70's. Gerald Woodroffe even told that the band tried to mix a live album from the Technical Ecstacy tour in Holland. No idea which shows were recorded, but the tapes must be somewhere.

steveharris likes this.
  22. Adam Ryan Watson.

Just seen on Twitter that empress valley supreme disc is releasing a cd of immigrant song from osaka september 29th 71 and is from a previously unreleased sound board source different from the one that currently circulates unless it's a misprint and they meant from the 28th. But if it's from the 29th that means evsd has access to sb tapes or multi track mixdown from both osaka shows. I would love to think evsd is going to give us an osaka 71 release for the 50th anniversary. The September 29th show in the same quality of the black dog from September 28th would be a dream. A osaka 71 box set from evsd would be wonderful but I doubt they would release both osaka shows at once so they could MLK that cow more then once. I saw they recently repackaged the 2 Vancouver 75 sb recordings with Seattle March 21 in one set.

jay.dee likes this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

For what it is worth, TBL's Dave Lewis confirmed Japan '71 exists in Concert File 2, and said the tapes were reviewed for consideration during the production of HTWWW/DVD.

Sean, RockRoom, steveharris and 2 others like this.
  24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yes, that all sounds like quintessential EVSD methodology...tease, then release, then re-release, then re-re-release...and so it goes.

25. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Cake, keef285 and Giorgio like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.