Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's enough to make you believe in the impossible, this release.

2. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

:yikes:....this thread is beyond awesome. So many great recommendations (i.e.: books, sites, songs etc). This is a music fanatics heaven. I'm one who pours over every liner note and recording info of all the music I love and Dylan 1965-66 is right there.

...picking a favorite date on this '66 tour is beyond head scratching. I especially enjoy the Ireland dates, with Dublin's acoustic set and Belfast's electric set being a great mix IMO. But there are many moments and many sets that I could easily say are my favorites. Definitely a treasure trove of prime Bob Dylan.

...many thanks to @HominyRhodes , @Percy Song , @Somebody Naked and many others who dished out the goods. I thoroughly enjoyed all 272 pages (except for the occasional Cave curmudgeon) and know I'll be back to this thread time and time again. Cheers :cheers:

3. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

I believe in the impossible, you know that I do.

Richard--W likes this.
  4. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

SPECIAL, NOT TOTALLY UNRELATED, ANNOUNCEMENT:-

After many months without a home "Electric Dylan" is back!

The format is much the same but Roger has made revisions to all the sections and, perhaps best of all for those who do not subscribe to ISIS magazine, he has included his six part forensic examination of "The Cutting Edge Collector's Edition" in the original PDF format! Even better, he has added "sticky note" revisions to those articles. (It is best to download the articles, because the digital "sticky notes" don't work too well on screen; the latest two, dealing with the BS7 sampler snippets, are a bit wonky on the downloads as well, but I expect Roger will get them sorted out before long.)

The whole thing remains a work-in-progress, but the site itself has been smoke-tested over the last month or so. All the links work on PC and on mobile devices. As always, Roger welcomes comments and corrections. He's not immune to praise, either!

Time to crack open Big Blue again!

Electric Dylan

#

5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

You've posted this in multiple threads.

And good on you for doing so, no one should miss this!

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Hey guys. I realize the covers on the 36 discs aren't great, but I'd consider using them as my tagged art. But I can't find any good online sources for them. And my scanner stinks.

Any ideas?

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  7. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

If you don't find them online and you dropbox, PM me.

SamS likes this.
  8. Richard--W

I may do an acoustic sets marathon on New Year's day. This time, under the headphones.

Preceded by listening to the acoustic sets in the 1965 boot box, naturally.

9. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Wait 'til you hear Santa Monica ! ;)

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  10. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I still haven't listened to all of this!

:hide:

RiRiIII, MDW and Jerryb like this.
  11. Richard--W

Oh, I've heard Santa Monica '65. Many times.

Lately I've been listening to the Ginsberg tapes.

Clanceman and The Bard like this.
  12. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

13. Richard--W

Sad to hear of the passing Mickey Jones.

Clanceman likes this.
  14. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Oh no. RIP Mickey - you’ll always “play f***in’ loud” around my house.

15. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

Wow, I heard him play so many times listening to Bob, I never realized he played the drummer in Billy Bob Thornton's Sling Blade, terrific film. RIP

16. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

RIP. I recently made it through the entire 36CD live box set, and his drumming is increasingly impressive as you 'experience' the tour - no off-nights, missed cues or sense of him just cruising. He really swings and powers things along nicely.
    A few years ago when he first released his 1966 home movies on DVD, they were available only via his website I think (or signed copies were, something very limited, anyway)
    I ordered a copy, and as part of the email acknowledgement I was asked to let them know any thoughts on the movies. I know some people are a bit dismissive of this DVD, since there is a lot of filler, and no official Dylan music, etc etc, but I really enjoyed it - the home movies showing just general scenes of the UK in 1966 reminded me of my childhood, for one thing. So I fired off a reply saying all this, and was delighted to receive an email back from the man himself, thanking me, addressing all my comments and sounding genuinely thrilled to read my feedback. I also received a further copy of the DVD, signed and dedicated to me. So he seemed like a nice fella. Thank you, Mr Jones!

Chris M, redsock, Ron Mexico and 17 others like this.
  17. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

No offence for Jones, Kenneth Buttrey from the BOB sessions was my favorite Dylan drummer.

18. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I think I still have the last two shows to listen to! I should pull them out in memory of Mickey.

19. Jesse Reiswig

Jesse Reiswig Zen Master of Playlists

RIP, Mickey. I had no idea he was an actor until I read the obit. today.

20. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Well said (and nice memories), @JohnS.

I purchased one of the website-only signed copies too, but I don't recall the message requesting feedback. Probably just as well because I think I would've sent a dismissive message back. After one viewing it languished in a box in the loft for years. At one point I listed it on e**y for 99 pence and there were no takers! It was only when the 1966 box was announced that I dusted it off, viewed it again, and appreciated the value of it. Somewhere in the back pages of this thread is my multi-part precis of the content (although the accompanying photos and screenshots will have disappeared). The later release of the DVD also featured an interview with the now-legendary (around these parts) Richard Alderson and is well worth seeking out.

After a worthwhile and friendly, if not entirely successful, exchange of emails with Richard Alderson, which I also reported on in this thread, I attempted to get in touch with Mickey in case he had some more memories that he could share with us, not least to perhaps clarify exactly where he got hold of the tape reel that he presents in the DVD as being straight off the board in Liverpool which it can't be. Unfortunately, having suffered a heart attack in 2014, he was by then keeping a very low profile and nothing came of my approach.

For a short time in 1966 he was simply the best drummer in the world...

21. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

There's also a link in this thread (good luck finding it) to Mickey's unedited home movies. They were on a pay-to-view archive website, I think. Although I seem to recall being able to view a bit of it. Kind of fuzzy on details....

One thing that stood out from his 1966 trip with Bob was the boat ride Mickey and Garth hitched after the tour. If I recall, it was from the UK to NYC on a sort of freight ship. Not like a luxary cruise ship. I can't imagine being that free, with so few possessions and being on the water for perhaps a week with no contact with the outside world - immediately after an insane tour in a primitive 1966. That little trip fascinates me on every level. I miss the old world that I never even knew.

NumberEight, notesfrom, JohnS and 2 others like this.
  22. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I was actually the opposite for many years - I only knew him as a prolific character actor, and had no idea he was also a musician, let alone that he'd played drums with Dylan and The Band during this seminal period.

Jesse Reiswig likes this.
  23. Richard--W

He does an amusing scene in John Carpenter's Starman, misinterpreting the starman's eccentricity.

Chris M and Jesse Reiswig like this.
  24. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Ha! I get what you're saying. You can still buy this DVD for literally pennies on amazon, and a heck of a lot of the customer reviews are hugely critical. It IS padded out hugely, and features only very brief clips of Dylan.
    I think in hindsight I was perhaps entranced by the magic of having a DVD - it was one of the first I ever bought, liberated to such a thing by having bought a Mac iBook with combo drive! (I didn't have a DVD player till years later) - and also the few precious minutes of 1966 Dylan, on video, in colour. This was long before 'No Direction Home' opened up the vault of tour footage.
    There had been some clips used in the 'Dancing In The Street' TV series, which blew my mind a few years previously, but this material - grainy, silent and fragmentary as it was - was fantastic to see.
    (Having said that, I haven't watched it in years either!)

PS. If I remember correctly the second copy I received was a second edition in some way, with slightly revised artwork and altered small print on the DVD cover. I think this was the version which was given a more widespread distribution (e.g. on amazon, in stores etc) compared to the original, which you had to order from Mickey's website.

Percy Song and asdf35 like this.
  25. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

RIP Mickey Jones.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.