Ortofon 2m red to blue upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Craig Spiegel, Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

My brother in law upgraded his stylus from Red to the Blue. Glad he did. His equipment is pretty high end otherwise, and he just thought the cart was "o.k."...
    I suggested he "upgrade" and get the Blue. He is happy, and thinks there is more "clarity". Makes sense.

2. JeffTamarack

JeffTamarack Well-Known Member

I heard, and maybe it’s already the case, that Ortofon marking the 10th anniversary of the 2M line with a bit of a deal on the 2M blue stylus to promote the upgrade from the 2M Red. Like $160 or so CAD.

Maybe that’s the price anyway, just what I heard from my local
    HiFi shop.

Clonesteak likes this.
  3. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I wish the Blue was $120 stylus only. I think it is over priced but I will end up shelling over the dough in another few years. I love the sound! It just sounds right to me.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  4. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Thanks for this! If they do have a special on it, I will purchase a Blue stylus as a backup to my Bronze.

5. JeffTamarack

JeffTamarack Well-Known Member

No probs. I’m pretty fortunate to have an old school HiFi shop in town with an owner that grew into a friend. We chat plenty and he was telling me that this week. Let me know how the upgrade goes on the Xpression III

6. Henry Phillpotts

Henry Phillpotts Well-Known Member

An update to my distortion problem, and a tip for all new blue users...

I discovered that the problem was my replacement stylus wasn't 100% inserted to my existing cartridge. It looked flush, but obviously the contact wasn't quite there.

Having worked the issue out, my advice to anyone thinking that their blue is a bit off is to give an extra squeeze and make sure the connection is solid. I'm now completely satisfied with the sound I'm getting from this stylus.

c-eling and Clonesteak like this.
  7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

The Blue had just arrived, I put it in the headshell, sometime to align it properly, arm balanced, anti-skating set, now playing. Gonna give it a few hours and come back for a review. Only problem is that I can't compare it to the Red since I changed it for a Nagaoka MP-110 sometime ago, bought a new phono stage and a few weeks ago I got a new turntable, so I won't be able to do a direct comparison since the old Red is gone and my memory of how it sounds is from a total different system.

8. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Let us know what you hear.

9. punkmusick

2 hours playing and it seems to sound better than the Nagaoka.
    A little less "warm" if I can say that, a little brighter than the Nag and bass seems more defined.
    When I say a little brighter I don't mean a bright sound at all, it's just like if I had put a bit of treble.
    Seems to have soundstage, image and separation as good as the Nag which for me means very good.

Heckto35 and Leonthepro like this.
  10. punkmusick

As I just said above, I feel the same way after about 2 hours with a brand new Blue in the old Red body.

In my Pioneer PLX-1000 I didn't experience IGD with the Nagaoka and so far also not with the 2M Blue. Surface noise on worn vinyl is something I'll have to find out in the next days, I only played a few new records.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  11. punkmusick

I'm listening now to a needle drop of the same song with both cartridges (easier to A/B with the needle drop) and that's it, more clarity and less roll-off with the Blue compared to the Nag. Nag is warmer and the Blue is more flat/neutral. If I compare both with the CD version (same year, not remastered) the Blue sounds like a mid-term between the CD (a bit brighter) and the Nag (a bit warmer), but a bit closer to the CD than to the Nag.
    I also think that the Blue plays a tiny bit louder than the Nagaoka.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Heckto35 likes this.
  12. Leonthepro

Well considering the higher specs like a nude stylus superiority should have been expected from the start. Although I dont know about where you live, but here in Sweden the Blue costs 100% more than the Nag, at around 2000kr (200€) vs 1100kr (110€). So as to why some would go Nag over Blue depends on a lot of things.

Also, to consider stylus change out, the Blue costs around 1500kr (150€) while the Nag only is about 400kr (40€). So you will be paying a whole lot more not just to start with but in the future as well.

But I do think the best situation for someone to get a Blue I feel is when you just switch out the Reds stylus like @Folloni did here.

punkmusick likes this.
  13. punkmusick

I live in Brazil and here it's about the same price.

14. plimpington2

plimpington2 Forum Resident

You do? Why? I have had certain cartridges in my system for years and years, and have never "cleaned" any of them aside from occassionally blowing some fuzz off. They have always been quiet (except those known not to be . . . ehem, 2M black, cough, cough). It seems to me that most "cleaning" methods involve an abrasive across the business end of the stylus, which over time would tend to degrade the stylus.

Justin

15. plimpington2

plimpington2 Forum Resident

I cannot agree with this. A phono cartridge is a mechanical device whose connection with the record is mediated by a rubber/synthetic suspension mechanism. This will CERTAINLY become more compliant with use.

Justin

Matt I and Heckto35 like this.
  16. Leonthepro

The stylus is diamond, it wont degrade so easily. You know what does degrade though? Microscoping vinyl and other debris that melts onto the stylus, altering its shape and playback capabilities. You are right though, vinyl is all about fighting physics and degredation as best you can. You dont need to clean every side if your records a clean, its all situational. In the end its what you care most about, your stylus, or your records.

Heckto35 likes this.
  17. Leonthepro

The rubber in the suspension of catilevers doesnt need much time to "break in". Give it a record or two and youre good. Notice how I said largely though, because some gear require it more than others, such as some MC cart designs with rotating azimuth dampers, although unlikely still as exhaggerated as some claim.

When you say you disagree know that its not me you disagree with, but rather Peter Ledermann, CEO and designer of SoundSmith cartridges, which is what I base my stance on.

18. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I use this and never have an issue...

Onzow: Zerodust Stylus Cleaner

McGuy likes this.
  19. punkmusick

20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

To celebrate their 100th anniversary Ortofon have launched a special edition of the Blue stylus. The only difference is that it has a different logo printed on it BUT the most important thing is that it’s priced at £100 and will be £110 from April 1st. The normal retail for the Blue is £135.

I’ve put an order in and can’t wait to get it. Hopefully it will sort my IGD problems on my Debut Carbon

21. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks to your note I contacted my dealer in Montreal and they can supply me with this special edition Blue stylus, and at a reduced rate. I will need one within a few months so due to this promo I've ordered one today through the local shop here. Just over a $30 savings, so thank you.

Clonesteak likes this.
  22. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Just for curiosity, what is the price of cartridges in Brasil? I just happen to go there now and then, and know that imported stuff tend to be expensive.

23. Danderpet

Danderpet Forum Resident

Hi All.
    I recently purchased a Project Classic with an Ortofon silver pre-mounted. After a few weeks, I upgraded to a blue stylus.
    Well, damn my aging ears, but I swapped the silver and the silver sounds better. Wider stage, more detail. I'm a little shocked, thinking the silver was meant to be little more than a red- or equivalent.
    Before I return the blue, do I just need to wait longer to be wowed?

24. Vinyl Fan 1973

I noticed a difference after 10 hours or so with my blue, but I believe it needs 30-50 for break in, but I'm not 100% sure.

25. punkmusick

I can't speak for the Silver as I never had one. In my experience, the Blue smoothes when it breaks in. When new it was considerably brighter than after 25 hours. I'm pretty sure because I recorded needledrops with less than 2h and then with 25 and they sound different. However, I didn't notice a change in detail or stage, only in brightness. I shared the 25h needledrops a few posts above if you want to check it out.
    Also, I do know that how a cartridge sounds in the real world is always dependent on the turntable and on the phono stage. If the Silver sounds better in your current system, it makes no sense to use the Blue. However, maybe you could keep the Blue if you have any plans to change your turntable or your phono stage, since it's always possible that it may sound better than the Silver in this new future environment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.