Movies You Love That No One Else Does.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ahhh but what about Beyond the Poseidon Adventure! Michael Caine returns to the capsized ship and wanders around for 2 hours! I dare you!

saw that as a teen and it really stayed with me, good theme song too

2. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Late to this, but I recently saw this for the first time and actually liked it. The director seemed to think that groups of dwarfs shouting and acting drunk was funny in itself, which isn't really true over the course of 90 minutes, though. Carrie looks the best she ever looked, and she and Chevy are a good onscreen couple. I wish they'd done another film together.

3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

'Long Goodbye' has always been well-loved. I can't recall anyone having a bad thing to say about it. Now, 'Quintet' - there's an Altman film I need to defend. Much better than anyone's ever willing to admit.

4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I like it! I get why people dont but a lot of it works (imo) admittedly I saw it when I was a kid and we had limited entertainment options

I love it! Goldblum/Pfeiffer were never better

hmmmm underrated Altman films by Altman fans. Quintet is a good one....how about Streamers? Come Back to the Five and Dime is the admitted 'play based film' fav but I think Streamers is just as good with really good Modine and David Allan Grier (first role I think)

5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Not a sequel. A remake from 2015.
    Point Break (2015) - IMDb

6. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

The Pearl is in the river!

7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Oh yeah, the entire premise of that movie is preposterous, fortunately Sally Field just about makes up for it, she was a cutie back in the day...:D

Between Beyond... and The Swarm, Michael Caine musta been thinking "Why the hell do I keep signing up for these stupid movies?" (not that he really learned his lesson...Jaws IV, anyone???) As I recall his main motivation for doing The Swarm was the opportunity to work alongside Henry Fonda.

8. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Last Action Hero

It was considered a bomb, but I watched it at my hotel room during a business trip a few years after it came out and thought it was mostly pretty imaginative, clever and fun, despite some cheesy moments. Not a masterpiece by any means but it didn't deserve all of the ragging it took.

Rick Bartlett and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Call of the Cthulhu (2005).

Why did nobody love it? It's B&W. It's 4.3. It's silent. COTC is the best horror movie 1919 had to offer, it just took 86 years to get made.

The cinematography is g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s in that old timey way.
    [​IMG]

By limiting themselves to period correct cinematography they actually had to do a good job, an entirely alien concept to 90% of all filmmakers and camera operators.
    [​IMG]

Among Lovecraft films COTC is probably the closest you'll get to the literary pulp he wrote without having to Google his chemically enhanced vocabulary ("the feotid stench of eldritch ichor obvulates abysmally")
    [​IMG]

COTC certainly isn't for everyone. It's WW1 style makes it a difficult slog for anyone who dislikes "antique movies" (as my niece calls them). If you've never cared for Lovecrafts short stories the themes of madness and sea creatures you'll probably not have a good time.

10. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

One of my top whatever films is Starship Troopers (1997), a statement I feel is not always taken seriously. I dislike the sequels just as much as I like the original. It's the same with another Paul Verhoeven film, Robocop. They're bold, dynamic action pieces which are somehow distilled to mediocrity in the sequels.

SquishySounds likes this.
  11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Soldier In The Rain starring Steve McQueen and Jackie Gleason. If anyone else does love it it'd make me feel good to know. :cool:

12. Phantasm V

Southland Tales

Roadracers

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    finslaw and nedison like this.
  13. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Ford Fairlane

14. Greg Arkadin

Greg Arkadin Forum Resident

Observe and Report -- I really enjoyed this Taxi Driver homage

Hardly Working -- It's truly awful but I find it fascinating for several reasons, not the least of which is the least artful use of product placement I've ever seen, which I have to think was intended by Jerry Lewis as a commentary on how much he had to debase himself to get the picture made. Here's an example:

It's Pat -- Only because it might contain one of the sickest ideas in the history of film: Let's remake Hardly Working!

15. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Safety Not Guaranteed

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

China Girl. West Side Story wasn't the only movie that used Romeo & Juliet as a theme on the streets of NYC. The movie's always been a favorite and I'm not even sure if it was ever released on DVD (I used to have it on VHS!).

Remington Steele likes this.
  17. Wow...just awful! Thanks for sharing.

18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

That was pretty well received, no? I can't recall reading a single bad review when it came out.

Just checked Rotten Tomatoes. It has a 90% positive critic rating.

19. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009)

BluesOvertookMe and beccabear67 like this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Think Species II ( 20th Anniversary ) is even better than the first one. The DVD box with 1-4 discs is pretty cheap.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have them all on DVD...of course Shout factory put out an overpriced Species BD...I have the regular edition on BD...

22. alexpop

Shout" fancy packaging or what ?

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no fancy...just Shout usual pricing. The Shout does have more bonus features but you will pay for them.

alexpop likes this.
  24. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Payback (1999) w/Mel Gibson, Lucy Liu, Kris Kristofferson, William Devane, James Coburn, Gregg Henry, David Paymer, and Maria Bello.

[​IMG]

I will watch this film every time it is on TV. One of those films I never get tired of.
    However, the producers did not like it themselves, firing the director before the completion of the film.
    Now, the director's cut is available on HULU as Payback: Straight Up

Heavy Music likes this.
  25. alexpop

More deleted scenes /longer cut always welcome.

Michael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.