Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

Supposedly good for 20% off storewide at HDTracks: 20AUDIOGONHD

Vandenville and xj32 like this.
  2. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

Positive. Thank you so much! :righton:

B-Mike likes this.
  3. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

Rick Springfield- The Snake King
    Grateful Dead - Grateful Dead Records Collection (Remastered)
    Machine Head - Catharsis
    Craig David - The Time Is Now (Deluxe)

plus much much more...

4. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Curious about Grateful Dead - Grateful Dead Records Collection (Remastered). Wonder if it is any better/different than the Beyond Description masters, or the versions already for sale in HD as the Complete Studio Collection. Comes to $55 with the 20% HDTracks gimmick this week, which is not bad, but still on the fence that this will be a meaningful upgrade.

5. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

My band has a 24-bit 96kHz 5.1 mix of our single "Heartless" available for free download during February:

Heartless - Surround Music

What started out as kinda King Crimson turned into 80s disco pop. Not sure how, but we went there anyway :D

I don't have a surround setup and I haven't heard the surround mix yet so lemme know what you think.

--Geoff

Simon A and Plan9 like this.
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It reminds me of Broken Bells, one of my favourite groups of the last decade. :) I've downloaded the 5.1, I'll let you know what I think.

HiredGoon likes this.
  7. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

I would wager that the GD Records Collection is the same as the previously remastered HD Complete Studio Collection. Steal Your Face HD is new however.

8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Even if the studio albums are new masterings I can’t imagine they are any sort of upgrade whatsoever

9. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

These are not recent releases, but I've just acquired the three Bud Shank World Pacific albums from the mid/late 60's (featuring Chet Baker) and they sound really nice. Nicely done 96/24 transfers which help these albums shine. Don't expect straight Jazz as these are more Pop oriented albums of Beatles covers (and other songs of the times). His covers of the songs from Magical Mystery Tour are quite interesting.

10. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

Toto - Greatest Hits: 40 Trips Around The Sun
    MGMT - Little Dark Age
    Dashboard Confessional - Crooked Shadows
    Melody Gardot - Live In Europe

Plus much much more...

11. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

We keep buying it; that's pretty convincing for any merchant.

Unless every copy has been collected and destroyed, it's always available somewhere, and people need the data.

c-eling likes this.
  12. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I pre-ordered the Toto hits CD. Interested to see if the hi res is different from the CD.

13. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

The track listing for hi res matches the CD release.

14. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Sorry, I meant the same dynamic range, etc.

Pat

15. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Cases where the Hi-res is better are so few and far between. Don't get your hopes up!

John Moschella and Coricama like this.
  16. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Checking in again on the source for this info re the Springsteen DSD mixing process. The newest download from 2005 says the master is 24/96 PCM.

17. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

Sorry, don’t spend much time online these days. This was one of my sources:

Live Bruce Springsteen Mobile

18. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Question. I made my first purchase on HD Tracks last night, The Who Live At Leeds Deluxe Edition in FLAC. Just curious if the tags are standardized in any way. I had to spend a little time fixing them the way I like them plus I wanted better album art.

19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

What do you mean by standardized? The songs are in concert order and flow well.

20. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Tags on downloads usually aren't quite the way I like so I always expect to have to modify them. Some sets more than others.

Hymie the Robot and Spitfire like this.
  21. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I meant things like how words are capitalized, size of album art, Artist, Album Artist etc. For instance I put the Who as Who, The for album artist so I had to change that. Another thing was that every song title was followed by something like (Live At Leeds Deluxe Edition) which I had to remove for every song because I didn't like it. Just curious if they're all going to be like this.

alchemy likes this.
  22. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

If you can, please post the dynamic range for the cd release and I will do the same for the hi res release. Thanks

23. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Tags for downloads are going to be like that. Sometimes worse. Multiple artist albums and albums with collaborating artists will also likely have some strange tags for artists and song titles that you'll need to fix. Tags for classical music downloads can be a big bother to fix.

Vorlon likes this.
  24. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Someone posted the hi res version DR values. Average is a 9 or 10.

oboogie likes this.
  25. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

Thanks...