X-files reboot?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

these last few episodes felt more like vintage X-Files, but something is still "missing" and it must be problems with the scripts themselves.

2. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I feel like I need to work on my viewing comprehension with this show. (Um, spoilers, I guess — )

I couldn’t get a handle on the severity of Skinner’s injury. At first blush it seemed pretty horrific. He was, like, impaled, right? But then — Did he or did he not end up climbing out of the pit by himself? And at the end he seemed to shake it off while chatting with his pals and waiting for his ambulance ride. Skully looked like she was applying Bactine to a nasty but not godawful boo-boo.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It does strain one's credulity, but then Skinner's a tough dude. :rolleyes:

Lownote30 likes this.
  4. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

the wife commented the exact same thing. "how do you get impaled in the abdomen and not lie helpless and screaming in agony until you basically die?"

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Excellent episode! It’s nice to see Haley Joel Osment getting some work. He turned in a very good performance or performances, as he played both father and son. Skinner doesn’t seem to have aged much since the show’s initial run. It must be the Patrick Stewart effect. Baldness is the key to youth and vitality.

6. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Probably the best episode of either of the new seasons. Maybe because Mitch Pileggi is putting in more effort than Duchovny and Anderson? The ending felt a bit tagged-on, though.

7. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That was boring .. Jacobs latter revisted?

vince likes this.
  8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I know you meant Ladder.... LOVE that movie!

9. I thought it was an interesting episode. My biggest issue was that the conclusion was a bit lazy. So wonder how Carter is going to work without Anderson if they do a new season of 10.

10. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

At first, I thought that those two new agents who were introduced last season were slated to eventually take over the show. But after they appeared for barely a minute in the season premiere (due to negative fan response?), my new hunch is that Mulder and Scully might pass the torch to their son: The X-Files: The Next Generation.

Encuentro likes this.
  11. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Am I alone in assuming that Anderson’s statement is just your standard negotiating tactic? A handful of episodes every couple of years doesn’t seem like such an egregious prospect that it’s worth saying never again.

Big Pasi likes this.
  12. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Decent episode in the "classic" x-files style. Really very cool to use John Cale's "Fear is a Man's Best Friend."

Dennis Metz and wayneklein like this.
  13. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

It's possible. Though her performance doesn't convey all that much investment or enthusiasm, so it may also be that she feels done with the character.

14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

No enthusiasm during the scene in last week's episode where she was talking to William's "corpse"?

Scully has always been a pretty cold character without ever really being all that emotional MOST OF THE TIME. No difference this season.

I've liked this season a lot actually, and way more than last season. I don't think it's as good as peak X-Files from the mid-90s but I don't think it's the dreck that many here are calling it. Complaining about GA's acting screams to me of nitpicking, but then again, I'm not as hardcore an X-files fan as many here might be.

Lonson and Lownote30 like this.
  15. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

This season is definitely better than the last one.

As for the acting, I dunno - I don't think I've been the only one to find something lacking in both of the leads' performances. It could be their being rusty, it could be age, it could be the material, but it could also be going through the motions. The contrast with Mitch Pileggi's performance in the last episode was striking, I thought - he delivered way more, even though his character is not the most emotive.

16. I wondered the same as well but at the beginning of this season she stated up front she was done. I do have to wonder also if her voice issue plays a role in all of this.

17. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Now dental surgeons are terrified for a change :agree:

18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Glad I waited rather than made up my mind before I'd even seen an episode...

19. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

However, when the song ended they incorrectly showed the tonearm at the end of the record. Artistic license, I suppose.

20. Mirrorblade.1

Gillian needs to suck a halls and clear her throat.. jeeze..

21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

fresh take.

smilin ed likes this.
  22. misterdecibel

Skinner not dying in the pungee stick trap was hard enough to swallow, but it's even harder to believe that the guy in the trailer had such good musical taste.

23. Mirrorblade.1

You can't just put bactine on a deep wound like that wth..
    I watched enough Csi to know you can bleed to death very quickly from a deep
    puncture to the stomach..like that.. With original series they never tired pull this much.
    Being one place and another in blink of a eye....

24. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I see this doesn't come back until the 28th. I guess I can catch up on Hulu now. Lost track after that second episode.

25. misterdecibel

That'll give Skinner some time to heal up...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.