Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I was specifically referring to your comment "...haven't heard much of them outside of web forums".

Also, did Wolfmother have that sort of traction prior to releasing their first LP? With just a couple of EP's, and less than a year of actual touring under their belt, it's unlikely that GFV is at their "peak".

AFAIK, Wolfmother were established in their home country of Australia and had released their fisrt album before they were known at all in the US (as you know a much larger, and more impactful market) or elsewhere.

GVF has a much more compelling (and marketable story).

In addition to having the chops/tunes (imho), they have youth (two members just graduated from HS), a familial relationship (3 bros and best friend), come from a small town in Michigan (US connection), an interesting story about the band's name (Gretna), are well-versed about their influences (Dad's albums), and, something else that doesn't hurt - looks.

While I totally get that not everyone is going to like their music, some of the criticism on this thread makes zero sense and is based on something else besides GVF's musicianship (or lack thereof).

artfromtex likes this.
  2. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Just to be clear, I don't like them because I think their songs are derivative garbage :)

DHamilton, Ma Kelly and c-eling like this.
  3. aroney

I'm still waiting for you to answer my question from a couple of weeks back (not holding my breath though):

What bands do you like?

4. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Au contraire, mon frère. I have a big mix on rotation in my car, and I find myself hitting the "advance" button quite a bit. Unless it's these guys. In this case, I turn it up!

LarryP and artfromtex like this.
  5. aroney

Uh, yeah.

I think we are all crystal clear on your thoughts about them (repetitive), including the frequent cheap shots at folks who happen to enjoy their music and wish them the best as they move forward.

6. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

The singer is definitely irritating. They can play their instruments well enough. Not my thing..

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thread title should of been for an 'Appreciation'. The way it presents itself right now is open for people who don't enjoy it. :cheers:

8. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

They're doing just fine with their brother.

9. FrixFrixFrix

Sorry you feel that way. But if you're personally offended by valid criticism of something you have no personal stake in, maybe an online forum isn't the right place for you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

God forbid there should be any dissenting opinions on a discussion forum ;). I fully support your wish for a separate thread exclusively for unchecked adulation though.

Hey man, as I've said elsewhere, like what you like! No skin off my back.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    c-eling likes this.
  10. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I don't like them, so I'd usually leave well enough alone. And having been aware of these guys, I just let them be and never really brought them up to anyone else.

But my bandmate found a live video and sent it to me, "can you believe these guys? Like, you can't get any more derivative."

That night, he showed our other bandmate, who was like "but...why?!? It's so obvious!"

And I mentioned them in a Facebook post that same day. Several folks commented, "what's the point?"

One friend echoed my sentiment - they're obviously talented young guys, would be a shame to see them relegated immediately to the "baby legacy/tribute act" circuit, in as much there is such a thing.

11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Someone at work sent me a link. I watched and listened. I was impressed! They're pretty good.

I may not run out and get their EP or an upcoming release, but they're good.

12. artfromtex

It is indeed open for those to criticize the band.

Dissenting opinions are fine and welcome.

BUT!
    That was just an insult to those whose opinion is different than yours. Comes off as mean-spirited and elitist. I hope that was not the intent.

Rocketdog, aroney and c-eling like this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Not my wish :laugh:
    I gave a listen and their definitely not something I'd buy. My niece would probably have fun at a show :righton:

14. aroney

Yeah, you're right - I'm offended by comments from someone I don't even know constantly criticizing a band I happen to like. Hardly.
    I'm done with on-line forums too! :doh:

I sometimes do wonder why folks waste so much time repeatedly bashing something, or someone, they don't like, especially when they cease adding any new or unique value to the overall discussion.

It's your time though, so you're more than welcome to stay. :D

Again, I do appreciate your dedicating a whole year of your life to listening to every live Zeppelin recording possible and writing your thoughts on each one. Helpful and entertaining.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  15. FrixFrixFrix

Have fun, kids! Y'all are taking things a little too close to heart for my taste... :tiphat:

16. artfromtex

:wave:

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  17. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

The Year of Zeppelin was 100% awesome! Kudos for doing that! I've heard many a Zep show, but not even I have heard ALL of them.

With that said, and I mean this most respectfully....but maybe the guy who listened to Zeppelin every day for a year straight shouldn't be critiquing others for not broadening our horizons! :laugh: If anything, I'm surprised your not with us in appreciating brand new fresh material that sounds very much like Zeppelin.

18. FrixFrixFrix

It was a decade ago... ;)

(Feel free to peruse my Last.fm and (incomplete) Discogs, if you're so inclined. I'm an open book.)

19. aroney

I thought you left? Get out of here already! Sheesh. ;)

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  20. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Fair enough! :laugh:

I can't argue with you that GVF are derivative. It's undeniable. However, maybe that's their calling....you know? To provide, IMO, quality brand new music that is Zeppelinesque. More importantly, to expose Gen. Z to this style of rock which they might not have hear otherwise.

One thing I will say about GVF is that they really did their homework. They seem to 'get' the nuances, where many others failed (pretty much every '80s hair band).

21. aroney

And that's cool. At least your sharing the music and folks can decide for themselves whether they like them or not. I think every band on the planet would appreciate that opportunity. Hopefully, your sharing the best representation of them though, given that not every performance is on point, or recorded very well (especially smart phone vids on Youtube).

I am a fan, however by no means is GVF perfect, or as good as they could be.

Some of my issues:

The singer tends to overuse his "yell" too frequently. It's like, I get it, you have pipes, you can wail, but you don't need to deploy it so much. Sometimes, it's better to just let the music, ie drums, guitar and bass, do the talking. Plus, if you do have a long career you're gonna wish you held back a bit in those early days. Plant has had the spectre of his early, wailing, days hanging over his head as comparison all the way to today.

The guitar player is just good, not great. He can play, but his leads aren't all that memorable or mind-blowing. He's no guitar god by any means. This is where the comparison to Zep weakens too. Jimmy Page when he was on, was almost untouchable. Now, maybe this kid will get better, but that's not likely given that someone who has been playing since they were young tends to peak pretty early. I'd be surprised if he improves much.

Some songs just don't come off well live. Black Smoke Rising is awesome on the EP, but live it just doesn't sound as good (although I have not seen the band live yet and am basing this on well-recorded live performances). I think it's mainly due to the singer struggling a bit more on it, since he seems to be using a different voice/pitch than he does on the rest of the songs.

Shows are too short and/or repetitive. Why aren't they playing all their "new" stuff, especially what they released on the recent double EP or Spotify only tracks. Crank out that Adele cover, and/or the acoustic Black Smoke Rising, and that will help bring new folks into the fold. The lenghth of shows as a headliner, (just over an hour?) is waaaay too short, especially when you're selling out shows and folks are chomping at the bit to see you.

That's just a few. Again, I'm a fan, but I ain't no sycophant. :D

22. artfromtex

23. aroney

Is it too much to hope that it has decent dynamic range and is well-mastered? :D

24. artfromtex

Their stuff so far has been loud, but at least the EQ is good and there is no audible clipping. We shall see. Same folks are producing it.

25. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

They're not for me, but I wish them nothing but success. Help bring rock back to the mainstream, enough pop and rnb already.

aroney likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.