New Simple Minds album, "Walk Between Worlds", set for release 02/02/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I know that, most know that. It's a shame you can't bring it up without the accusation. I thought about it but given the current climate, I knew that it would meet the response it did. I thought the lineup change for the acoustic satisfied a certain need, Charisse is a fantastic percussionist and drummer but, they had a drummer. I saw the promo video and my first thought was "They caved" because I had just read a bunch of comments about how the older groups still touring needed to consider adding women, because they're women. Catherine AD admitted to not having a clue about SM discography when she was brought on, not exactly a positive for a CV. Again, their band, their choice. I think we should be able to say it's at least a bit suspect and odd. Then again, maybe not.

Stuart S and sunking101 like this.
  2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

What do you guys make of Prince and 3RDEYEGIRL Was he just employing women to satisfy a trend? Jim Kerr probably isn't the easiest guy to work with, he certainly can be a bit pompous, is it a case that women are actually a bit more mature and can work with him as opposed to other guys getting into a pissing contest? I haven't seen the video and I'm a fan (I guess) and clearly their videos will only be seen by fans who seek then out so I can't imagine even Jim Kerr is doing this to appeal to a young audience.

Neonbeam likes this.
  3. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Prince did it from the start, not after several decades. Nobody is against all-girl groups or 50/50 groups, it's just a talking point that Simple Minds have become 50% female in one fell swoop...

Radical347, DTK and The_Windmill like this.
  4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I just don't see it as being an issue. What if bands had to declare religion, politics or sexual preference and suddenly half the members were opposed to existing members, would they be accused of "caving"? I guess I listen to music and enjoy it for that, I'm not particularly fussed about the videos, so I don't see whether a woman is playing the drums or guy, it all sounds the same to be fair

Surly likes this.
  5. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

It actually is "a thing". I'll try and dig up the article. It stated that the older groups have a hard time with a cross generational appeal for a couple of reasons. I think it had to do with many are used to a single performer dynamic but there was a reflexive pull away from bands seen as white male-ish. You may very well be right, who knows? I can only state my opinion and why I might have it. It's by no means an edict and by no means do I believe I can read minds.....not even simple minds. Yes, I went there. :D

DTK, godslonelyman and Stuart S like this.
  6. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

So this had to so with a fairly dramatic change in lineup, all of a sudden like. There is a pressure out there, my "caving" remark was more of a cynical remark than anything. It was probably more of a coincidence. it just amazes me that people can't state "Wow, the band really went for the female dynamic" without the reflexive critiques. How about "I like what women bring to the band." and leave it at that? Women drummers always struck me as a bit odd, only because I grew up in a world where almost every drummer was a man. It wasn't a "no chicks allowed" type of thing, it was the way it worked out. Does it keep me awake at night that my favorite band has a female drummer? No. It does bother me a little that their decades long drummer is sort of in limbo with the band. If your favorite band switched drummers, you'd raise an eyebrow too. Having grown up with the band, you're just used to it being a bunch of dudes with the occasional blip of a female backup singer. I have to think Sarah was brought on board to help with the vocals because Jim's own voice has taken a bit of a beating. It makes sense, it would actually be weird if he brought on a male singer in that place.

DTK and Stuart S like this.
  7. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Prince's music just made sense to have a female presence, much more soulful and progressive. I liked that he had women in the band. It looked and sounded natural within the context of the kind of music he made.

Stuart S likes this.
  8. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Until I read this thread I had no idea there were women in the band. I have, I think 4 albums, I traded in a few more CDs in the 90s when I went off them but I've been listening to them more recently. I streamed the new album yesterday and like it. My point is, I've bought Simple Minds albums since the 80s and have no clue what the band look like. I imagine the casual fan or someone hearing a new song on Radio 2 (or wherever they may still get new material played) won't have a clue either, so I doubt a new audience is won by the gender make up of the band. If someone is advising the band that this matters, they're deluded. I'm actually excited by this new album and want to hear it again, I always preferred them over over U2 and then Belfast Child happened and I gave up on them. Then I tried again with Real Life and the next one but ended up trading them.

9. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

I love Propaganda (Derek and Brian were part of for a brief moment) mainly because of the female members, I'd be shocked and disappointed they became a all male band.

DTK and Havoc like this.
  10. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

OK, let's just say we have different experiences. There was a short video promoting the album and the drummer and keyboard player were gone. I had just assumed they'd be back as I hadn't heard of any problems that might cause a lineup change. I just sort of went "Huh?" The female dynamic is more of an anecdote, there is a climate that gives it a little bit of suspicion, that's all.

I think I know what every band lineup is of those I'm following, just the way it goes.

11. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Sure, that's how they started. Same with the B-52s, Lush.......Shirelles, Ronnelles......can't imagine them with male members.

Stuart S likes this.
  12. mrbiggs

mrbiggs Empires and Pants

I've listened through a couple of times in the last week and I'm afraid that WBW has washed over me in the same way that Big Music did - nothing stood out. IMO the last album that I enjoyed the songs on was Black & White 050505 - I thought Mel played brilliantly on that one and it gave me hope they were really resurging. Graffiti Soul - I enjoyed the covers CD more than the primary album, weirdly.

I'm a card-carrying SM 1980-1982 fanatic, and enjoy pretty much everything they did until the wheels fell off in the late 90s. I really admire their persistence, their ability to transform, say goodbye to their past when required - and quite frankly, to keep a business model going after 40 years that keeps them touring arenas, at least in the UK. But musically speaking, the "Acoustic" project was about as essential as a migraine and WBW just feels like a rehash of Big Music to me.

Porkpie likes this.
  13. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I have no idea of the line ups of bands I like besides 2 or 3 of my favourites, maybe that's an age thing though, when I was much younger I knew that stuff but now I'm in my 40s my mind is occupied with my business and my family so music is the relief I seek when I get a spare moment and I don't read too much into it.

14. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Yeah, that's where I probably stand too, upgraded from a three after first couple of listens to a four out of five.

I've listened to it a ton over the past week, on CD at home, and streamed on Apple for when I'm out and about, and it has grown and grown on me. For me, the first 3 tracks are slightly weaker (still good) but 4 to 8 are all great songs.

I made the right decision to buy the 8 song CD version, have streamed the other two tracks and Dirty Old Town from the so called deluxe version and they don't really add anything.

15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the vinyl yet, how is the pressing?

16. mrbiggs

mrbiggs Empires and Pants

Off-topic a bit, but I just wanted to big up the X5 set that some have mentioned... it's a crying shame that it's OOP now. Absolutely definitive for that period of the band. I wonder whatever happened to the 'live anthology' box set that was mooted a while ago, and which some believed was the reason for keeping any '82-83 live material off the NGD super deluxe box set - which was criminal in my eyes. I could assume it's all rights/money complications, but that's not based on anything other than cynicism.

17. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Whatever the reasons I think they’ve lost a key element in Mel Gaynor, an absolute monster drummer and, for me, a key part of their sound. I thought the acoustic set was a step in the wrong direction and, having listened to the new album briefly on Spotify, I don’t hear anything that would make me buy that record. I’m all for the band evolving and trying new things but I guess the consequence is that some fans will drop off along the way.

Stuart S likes this.
  18. Hawkfire269

Hawkfire269 Forum Resident

As a longtime Minds fans, the lineup changes are bothersome and annoying. For me, the continuity of Mel is a link to Real Life and prior and solidifies a core nucleus to the glory days. Even Andy Gillespie had been there near 15 years and even had contributed some songwriting on their prior album. Moreover, as candid and introspective as Jim Kerr is on social media, he's especially coy on the band composition and band members coming/going, teasing the audience and never coming out and directly saying someone has departed (or joined, for the matter). It somewhat undermines his "look how open I am" attitude in other matters. In any event. I have no problem with female vocalists or tour musicians (I am a huge Lisa Germano fan, who recorded and toured with the group in the Street Fighting Years era). But to me losing Andy and especially Mel is a huge comedown after a 15 year period of (relative) stability for this group. For Kerr to not acknowledge this is disappointing, to say the least.

DTK and Stuart S like this.
  19. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I have to agree, I finally got it yesterday but the initial spin did absolutely nothing for me, I trace my fandom back to buying Saints and Sinners in Listen in Glasgow and seeing them numerous times as the local hero support band at the Apollo. I automatically buy every album on release but truthfully in my opinion it’s been a downward spiral since Sparkle In The Rain. Also agree about the bonus disc on Graffiti Soul being better than the album itself, and yes Acoustic was an abomination!

The best things they have done in the last 20 years was the 5x5 live album, which I really like and the collaboration 7” with The Stranglers.

mrbiggs and Stuart S like this.
  20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

This thread has gotten quite weird. I agree with what you posted and don't think this is a gender issue at all. I think it is a question of "what constitutes Simple Minds, or Echo & The Bunnymen, or New Order, or The Church"?

When key original or longtime band members are replaced, and especially by younger musicians who weren't even born when these great bands first started, it can be hard for us long time fans to adjust.

It bothered me a bit that one of the new SM members had to go learn the back catalog that I've loved longer than she has been alive!

jamesc and Stuart S like this.
  21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Emma and Miki write and sing but: Lush always had male members :uhhuh:

What do you guys make of Throbbing Gristle btw? Suddenly the singer is female. But it's the same person :uhhuh:

22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

At the end of the day, what matters most is the music.

I love Music Complete despite Hooky absence.
    I like the album in my avatar despite Marty AWOL.
    I am really Walk Between Worlds so far despite the lineup changes.

Let's face it, there aren't too many bands like U2 that stay together for decades.

Porkpie likes this.
  23. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

The only thing I have between Neapolis and WBW is Cry. Black & White seems to be OOP, I wouldn't have WBW if it weren't on HDTracks, just sayin'.

24. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Black And White 050505 is still available on UK Amazon.

25. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

The funny thing about this "females in the band" discussion is that they aren't actually in the band! The liner notes clearly list Jim and Charlie as Simple Minds, followed by a long list of contributors, including all the females and also including Mel Gaynor, who was involved in the initial recording sessions.

So yes, I think it's telling that SM chose those females for all the publicity photos (and I'm not denying their musical talent) but left others out. I wouldn't be surprised if the "lineup" we see in the photos changes again before the tour starts anyway.

Neonbeam and DTK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.