What has been your biggest album disappointment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

The prog quotient doesn't really mean much to me. I like TTB better than all of those except for for Raven. And 3.65 is hardly a negative rating on PA. I think Yes' Heaven and Earth was only in 2 star territory back on its initial release.

2. Lukather

Lukather Forum Resident

Achtung baby

Jimmy B. and carlwm like this.
  3. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

This one. It could and should have been great.

[​IMG]

4. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I’m glad (on your behalf) that you are willing to give them a chance. Perhaps their previous effort Lost In The Dream would be a slightly better starting point given that fact their americana roots are a bit more predominant on this album. On the other hand plan one (Thinking Of A Place) should work! Happy listening.

carlwm likes this.
  5. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

:confused:Confused. Aren't these both Twister Sister covers?

6. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Randy Newman Harps And Angels

Waited for years for an album of new studio material and it ends up being a mish mash of old songs reworked, songs of his that other people previously did now getting a version by Randy, I think it contained only something like 14 minutes of completely new music.

7. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

Isn't "Sex In The Summer" Disc 2 track 1? Funnily enough that's one of my favourites on the whole set! A breezy, light-hearted, fun and sexy little number - I always enjoy that one.

But yeah, the second disc is pretty darned good on the whole!

8. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Oh come on, really?

9. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

Maybe try Album 1 when driving, it's good like that - fairly loud of course! One of my favourites in the car. In fact, I gotta watch it when I have that on, because it can induce unintentional speeding. Pretty bitchin' loose funky rock 'n' roll... And I also got into it with headphones, listening to the cool parts and interplay within the mix, and Jagger's brilliant vocals.

It's just another 'really great' Rolling Stones album to me, like many other ones (including more recent ones, similarly to yourself).

I think it helped that when I first heard / bought it 20-something years ago, I only ever had the cassette (!) of Album 1 for years and years. So it wasn't a big old sprawling thing for me, and proved pretty accessible.

10. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I feel the same way about it. In no way a bad album, but it couldn’t hold a candle to Meddle IMO.

Man at C&A and stetsonic like this.
  11. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Bowie's Let's Dance. It was like the Japanese Emperor Hirohito renouncing his divinity.

strummer101 likes this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Neil Young's Are You Passionate? He had been on a roll, and the Crazy Horse 2001 Euro tour that previewed some of the songs was great, and it took some time to sink in..."hey, this is pretty awful actually".

Paul Gase likes this.
  13. Dr.D

Dr.D Forum Resident

Arcade Fire - Reflektor

The moment they disappeared into the fog of their own self importance.

Sane Man and Crimson jon like this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Appreciate the advice!

Nielsoe likes this.
  15. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Nashville skyline
    Byrd 1973 album
    Planet waves 1974 I think

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Man at C&A likes this.
  16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I was perplexed and unengaged as well when playing Side 1 of "A Passion Play" for the first time.

But when I flipped it over and played Side 2 I was floored. It was amazing.

I love Side 1 as well now, but back then it was tough.

"A Passion Play" is in a class of its own. Just a stunning and beautiful album. Tull's very best.

Pete Puma likes this.
  17. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Pain of Salvation “Scarsick”

Don’t know if many know this Swedish band, but their early albums are a unique take on progressive metal. “Scarsick” sounded to me like a band that was out of ideas. I can’t remember ever being more disappointed in a band. My fandom has never recovered.

18. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Beatles Help! in mono

19. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

That one dissapointed me aswell at the time at least. I believe they played Going Home and When I Hold You In My Arms when I saw them in Hamburg. Amazing show!! I feel much better about that album today by the way, but back then it was a major let down.

DTK likes this.
  20. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This goes way back kids so buckle up.
    When KISS "Destroyer" came out it rocked my world. I was a member of the KISS army as a bratty teenager and I loved it. Then "Rock And Roll Over" came out. I handed in my fatigues and moved on. It was such a let down for me.

carlwm likes this.
  21. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

I dread to imagine what you must have thought of Tonight.

22. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Oasis - Be Here Now

Boston - Third Stage

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Billy Joel - An Innocent Man

Bruce Springsteen - Lucky Town

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Liverpool

ELO - Time

Eminem - Relapse

Foreigner - Inside Information

Kansas - Audio Visions

Prince - The Gold Experience

Styx - Kilroy Was Here

Supertramp - Famous Last Words

U2 - Songs Of Innocence

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Back when I had expectations that great artists would never falter -- I was too young for GOAT'S HEAD SOUP, SELF-PORTRAIT and the like -- I was disappointed with THE LONG RUN by the Eagles.

Here was a band that was contemporary and, as far I was concerned, was now punching with the Classic Rock big boys awarded five stars in the Rolling Stone Record Guide. HOTEL CALIFORNIA was as ambitious as it was polished and I saw no reason the upward arc of their success and artistry wouldn't continue.

Then came THE LONG RUN. Wotta dud. The singles were by-the-numbers crap that coulda been any of the mellow rockers in their profitable wake -- think Little River Band, Firefall, Pablo Cruise, etc. -- and the only song that evinced any effort was "The Sad Cafe." Worse, the whole thing seemed enervated, devoid of any energy or spark. Sterile. Then followed an equally turgid live double, a pointless greatest hits and it was all over.

Paul Gase, fsutall and Splungeworthy like this.
  24. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Prince - Diamonds and Pearls - what is this? Terrible production, terrible band members, and later on a male dancing duo.

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief - Sorry other than about 2 tracks, they sound bored and un-engaged. Luckily not the end though, it got better

The Cure - Wish - it was never going to top Disintegration was it.

R.E.M. - Monster - "believe the hype, REM are back and this is rubbish" - is what they should of kept saying on the radio at the time, rather than try to ram this mediocre album down the throat.

Faith no more - Album of the Year- again it was never going to top Angel Dust, and no more Big Jim

Talking Heads - True Stories

PJ Harvey - Uh oh her

Oasis - Whats the story morning glory - horrible

25. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

the strange thing about wish is, that they put two of the best songs ("the big hand", "this twilight garden") out as b-sides... if they included them on the album it would have been much better (imho)

twicks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.