First impressions of the Nagaoka MP-110 phono cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dividebytube, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I see I'm using a low compliance cartridge with a light tonearm. I should correct that so. Nice, thanks again.

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The MP-110 uses a Japanese method to measure compliance, so it can be a little confusing. Some people use a multiplier of 1.7 to get close to the compliance in Western measurements. Even so, those carts are designed, AFAIK, to perform best on medium mass tonearms - not the 6g low-mass tonearm you have. You could try adding a headshell weight to the tonearm, or maybe using heavy SoundSmith type screws as an experiment. I would personally just pick a cart that is more suitable for the arm.

nosliw and punkmusick like this.
  3. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

Been reading with interest and have just fitted a Nagaoka MP110 to my Rega RP3 (my first time changing cartridge from Elys2). Went well and sounding lovely straight out of box. Haven’t even aligned exactly yet as out of printer ink, will do that tomorrow. Hoping supposed break in is real but would be happy if stayed like this, also want to say I had a great buying experience with SNVinyl in Scotland, ordered Sunday and came today exactly when promised, to the hour and the best price I could find. Next will be a new Tangospinner sub platter!

dbsea likes this.
  4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Break in is not actually demonstrated as real, at least not in the way that most people think.

H8SLKC likes this.
  5. punkmusick

Good advice. I just switched it for an Ortofon 2M Blue which is still in break in period (5h so far). Not actually an upgrade, a side movement instead, but for the better in my system and to my ears. Also changed the turntable a few weeks ago. Much happier now.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    patient_ot, Leonthepro and H8SLKC like this.
  6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Its great that both options exist. For me the 2M blue is literally double the money compared to the Nag. I wouldnt go hoping for much more break in though, 5 hours should be more than plenty. ;^)

7. punkmusick

Interesting, here they're about the same price, Blue just a bit more expensive.

8. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Anyone recommend a reputable online/ebay seller for one of these?

9. punkmusick

10. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Amazon has several options with prime shipping and their usual protection of customer. All these sales will be warranty free imports unless you buy from LP Gear or another domestic dealer.

Johnny Wong likes this.
  11. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

I bought one from LP Gear. First time dealing with them, and they sent what I ordered.

CCrider92 and Johnny Wong like this.
  12. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

You can safely use almost any cartridge. 6 g arm + a 6 gram cartridge of 25 compliance gives 9,17 Hz resonance with is lower than recommended. 12-15 in compliance is gives 12-13 Hz resonance which should be better to reduce warp-induced noise.

punkmusick likes this.
  13. Has anybody compared this with the Sumiko Pearl? I got the Sumiko Pearl a month ago to replace my prematurely worn Denon DL-110 cart and after some hours to break in I find the Sumiko Pearl too "polite" for my taste. It tracks well, it has no sibilance or IGD problems but it sounds laid back and too neutral for my taste, it has no spark.

14. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

You want "spark"? Get an AT440 cart. :righton:

Kiko1974 likes this.
  15. Thank you for the advice but it's out of my price range right now, I just can't afford one at the moment.

16. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have had a few AT440's and now am on my second DL-110. I see that's what you had also. Why do you think it wore out so quickly?
    Was your cart adjusted correctly? If you are on a budget, you may find the Shure m44-7 a good choice (under $100) and really kicks *ss.

17. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I have an AT95e and the DL-110. Would the Nagaoka 110 be better for cutting down on IGD and surface noise on 70s and 80s records?

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The rolled off highs on that cart may cut down on surface noise slightly. IGD? It will be there, as it would be there on any cart with a bog standard elliptical stylus. It just depends how sensitive to IGD you are. For my own needs, I would not consider any Nagaoka other than the top model with the line contact stylus for playing back most of my collection. Unfortunately that cart is very expensive.

marcfeld69 and punkmusick like this.
  19. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I love the the MP-110 for somewhat noisy 70s pressings (vinyl quality, not damaged records) since it seems to push surface noise into the background. It does a better job of this than the AT95e, though that cartridge is also fairly forgiving of surface noise. My issue with the AT95e is that it is thin sounding with sometimes harsh treble. The MP-110 seems to retrieve just as much if not more detail, while sounding fuller, mellower and overall more pleasant. Can't speak to the Denon DL-110, having never owned one.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  20. marcfeld69

That sounds like it might be my kind of needle.

21. marcfeld69

Thanks but which is the ‘that cart’? The Denon?

22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No, the MP-500, is the top Nagaoka cart. The MP-110 will have the limitations I described in my post above.

marcfeld69 and punkmusick like this.
  23. punkmusick

I'd love to try a MP-500. If it handles the bass like the 110 without its shortcomings it might be a winner.

24. marcfeld69

I see. What about the DL-110 fine line as compared to any of the Nagaokas and even the AT95e? Especially as regards IGD and surface noise.

25. marcfeld69

I never thought of the AT95e as thin-sounding, especially compared to the DL-110. It’s certainly warmer and fuller-sounding than the DL-110, but not by much, and I have comparatively little experience of vinyl still.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.