The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Will try and spin this one today. Thanks!

This is exactly where I ended up before seeing your reply. Great stuff.

bzfgt likes this.
  2. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

[​IMG]

$2.99 on Kindle. Cute cover. Why not.

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. trd

trd Forum Resident

Started my Sunday morning off with a hippie speedball (edible and coffee!) and Dicks Picks 8 (May 2, 1970) acoustic set. I’ve decided to play through on this one. The Stephen > Cryptically > TOO > Cryptical > Cosmic Charlie is powerful and raw, in the best way.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Mansley, NorCal, Matthew Tate and 5 others like this.
  4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

New version of Springer's Inn- 16 Jan 1970, available at the usual place.

5. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Like everybody else here said, it is great. Must-have. But then again, so is most solo Jerry IMO.

I'm gonna have to put it on now.

Crispy Rob, laf848 and bzfgt like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

New Charlie Miller SBD of 3/14/90. Lately I don't listen to post-1985 Dead often but this is a very good example of it.

7. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Incidentally, the only official live release of a '70s "Ripple" is the electric arrangement from Ladies and Gentlemen, so another one is definitely overdue.

8. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

I’m up in NYC for a few days and am walking up Broadway to see a show called Dead On at the City Winery - which is apparently a tribute to the 1980 Radio City shows...

ANYWAY, my point is that to get in the mood, I’m listening to 1980-10-31 and I love the bit where, when Bob says there are bass problems (after track 1) and something about doing a song without it (hard to hear exactly), Jerry replies ‘we can’t perform without the bass, man, that’s an essential part of the band.’

Or words to that effect. Yay, Phil!

Billy_Sunday, NorCal, Archtop and 6 others like this.
  9. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

10/31/80 is a show I can’t believe has never been officially released. Was it all cut up for Dead Set and Reckoning?

The show was broadcast in its entirety, and that full video circulates in trading circles, so I have to believe there’s something out there that could be salvaged for a release (I am not an expert on these things, so I don’t know if a complete video makes a complete audio release viable or not).

Every five year anniversary of the show, I wait for an announcement of the complete show on both CD and DVD that neve comes. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but then this is the band that does stuff like the Beat Club performance and that Alpine ‘89 show for Night at the Movies and then doesn’t do anything for a release for fans to purchase afterward.

Yes, I know they don’t own the Beat Club video. But they should still work out a deal for it.

Anyhow, I have yet to hear a really good copy of 10/31/80. Neither the SBD or AUD is great, although I remember thinking the AUD may be better. I was happy that Dead Ahead was eventually released on DVD, but a full release of the telecast would be better. Of course, Al Franken’s recent problems might make that a little awkward...

10. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

In Virginia for a quick 2 day jaunt.

50 miles west of VA Beach at a Loves right now.

Finished the 3 1991 Albany shows and began the first Uniondale one.

Great moments throughout. Lots of X Factor sprinkled throughout without any of the shows being full on scorchers. A very nice compilation is doable. :)

11. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

One of my absolute favorite releases. I gotta post my dumb reviews. I know in one of them i said "GREATEST FIRST SET EVER PLAYED" or something to tgat effect. Lol

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

IWT. Probably the best show I saw in '92.

Billy_Sunday and jazz_case like this.
  13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

IWT, pre-drums part of set II had an incredible flow and the Gimme Some Lovin' out of Space had the joint about as rocking as any I've ever seen, and I have been to more than a small number of rodeos.

14. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’ll be playing the second show later after taking a diversion for Road Trips 1.2 and the new Daves Picks

Matthew Tate and warewolf95 like this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was there for both of those shows. I would say hands down that is the best Shakedown I saw live, and as a wanna-be connoisseur of Shakedowns with the cautionary sticker inside my VW bus back in the day saying "Caution: Driver May Be Experiencing Hot Shakedown" I feel like I am qualified to speak as to the '87 and later era.

rockinlazys, RockRoom, trd and 8 others like this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

GarciaLive Vol 9 Milwaukee '91 - very hot although I'm going to have to call it quits for the night before I get as far into this one as I'd like.

17. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

See what happens when you start trying to use the official release numbers rather than the show date? :laugh:

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  18. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

most important things to remember while in nyc; bagels, pizza and Chinatown. and yes, it's touristy, but you should do the statue of liberty/ellis island boat ride.

Crispy Rob, Tom B and US Blues like this.
  19. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

What sounds to me like some extra spark in Garcia's playing, along with the setlist, made this a pleasant surprise and probably my favorite JGB since the self-titled.

20. BurtThomasWard

Finally got #12937. Lowest of any Dave's I have. I guess I know what I'll be playing later then.

Billy_Sunday and ianuaditis like this.
  21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just been listening to Winterland 11/10/73 and decided that it has my all time favorite version of "Looks Like Rain". Weir singing is off the charts. Tore my heart out.

22. BurtThomasWard

:drool::drool::drool:

OMFG.

23. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Vol 8 :cool:

bzfgt and rcb30 like this.
  24. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Ha! I’ve been here so many times that I avoid all that.

25. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

What's a good place to start with the "Road Trips" series. Tidal has most of them available for streaming...