What has been your biggest album disappointment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

It was either that, or we executed him (Hirohito, not Bowie). Which we should have done anyway. "Let's Dance" is like sushi (to continue the metaphor). Not everyone is sophisticated enough to appreciate it.

2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Stone Roses - Second Coming

cmarcc likes this.
  3. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Now that's funny.

oldturkey likes this.
  4. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

That's the only part of your post I agree with.

strummer101 likes this.
  5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Yes. It took me a few tries before I made myself listen to the entire album at one sitting without distractions. It just didn't hold my interest.
    I agree that it is not a bad album, just one that I don't care for. Other albums, like Horizon by the Carpenters and Super Trouper by ABBA, made a much stronger impact on me and are among my favorites.

D.B. likes this.
  6. erickana666

erickana666 Forum Resident

Vince neil carved in stone, i love so much exposed and after that a horrible album

Gnr chinese, i like a little bit the album but for wait its was a let down

The final cut , i tried tried and tried to love it, i cant stand it, i hate cover art, i like maybe one song.

Load and reload even if i like some songs were a big letdown for metallica, the change of look, the music everything was different, they killed the heavy metal that day

The gathering from testament, no power hauting ballad, it was just a trash album without melodies

Slayer , cover songs album
    just some cheap punk song of 1 or 2 minutes.

all for one from peter criss, the worst album of all time, my city stores got one copy, it was near a killing situation to get it, and cant not believe the cheap stuff on it.

7. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

Big Audio (Dynamite) - Higher Power: After Kool-Aid and The Globe, I was hoping for another home run. I keep it because I'm a completist.

Steven Wilson - To The Bone: This one hurts because all of his solo albums previous to this one are excellent and still get heavy rotation from me. While I don't hate the album, I rarely find myself playing it and when I do, it's usually only select tracks. "A Door Marked Summer" should have really been on the album proper instead of the bonus disc.

Amon Tobin - ISAM: Following the excellent Foley Room, I was prepared to enjoy immersing myself into his dense sonic textures once again. Unfortunately, it's too sparse and boring. I understand the stage show from the tour was phenomenal. Maybe that's the key to getting it.

Heart - Beautiful Broken: Fantatic was a return to form for them with "Mashallah" being the best thing they've done, in my opinion, since "The Situation". For the follow up get get a handful of throwaway songs and a bunch of covers that bring nothing new to the table.

Primal Scream - Evil Heat: To be fair, it would be impossible to top XTRMNTR but it doesn't even sound like they tried. "Autobahn 66" is a classic, but that's it.

Mansun - Little Kix: Six was a masterpiece but LK is the sound of a record label saying "Don't you dare do that again" and it shows.

Yes - Heaven And Earth: I loved Fly From Here and had high hopes for this since I feel that Jon Davison is an ever better fit vocally than Benoît David was. What did we get? Boring, mid-tempto garbage making Yes finally sound like what their detractors have been saying for decades. Dinosaurs.

Big Big Train - Anything after English Electric.
    The Flaming Lips - Anything after At War With The Mystics
    Marillion - Holidays In Eden, marillion.com, Marbles, F.E.A.R

8. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

Cinderella - Long Cold Winter

Loved their first album and still do but on this, their second, album they take a left turn into bad Aerosmith/blues rock worship and most of it sucks. I like a few songs here and there in their post Night Songs discography but they never recaptured the magic for me.

White Trash - Si O Si Que

The first album is a desert island disc for me. Just total fun and unlike any other album I've ever heard. Lightning in a bottle. The singer had a falling out with the rest of the band and by this second release it's a new cast of characters, save one member of the horn section. There are two pretty good tracks ("Come Tuesday" and "St. Moondog") but the rest is forgettable. Not bad but again the magic was gone. It's a pity because the original band should've been huge.

HammerFall - Built to Last

One or two decent tracks but the anthems are too cheesy this time around. They're kind of a hit or miss band though so I think they can turn it around.

KISS - Sonic Boom

Paul's songs are garbage. I like the rest. Monster is much better song wise but one of the worst sounding recordings in history.

Dangerous Toys - Hellacious Acres

Probably the biggest disappointment of my youth. My friends and I couldn't stop playing the debut but this one impressed no one. The sound was still there but the songs weren't. Classic sophomore slump. Really a huge let down. We thought they were another GNR.

Judas Priest - Demolition

I'm one of those weirdos who loves "Jugulator" and I really love "'98 Live Meltdown" too. Big, big fan of Tim Owens who, in my opinion, more than filled some very big shoes, especially live. Demolition, however, is just crap, though that's certainly not because of him. Terrible songs, terrible guitar tone. I really wanted to like it, even ordered the Japanese CD for the (awful) bonus track. Sometimes it's hard to accept you don't like an album and this was one of those times for me.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  9. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Interpol after "Our Love To Admire".
    The Strokes - basically all after their debut LP.
    Kings of Leon after "Only by the Night" - became to formulaic, predictable and safe.
    Most recent LPs by The Flaming Lips - effects and style over substance.

cmarcc likes this.
  10. erickana666

erickana666 Forum Resident

Its ttue that the second album ofncinderella isntoo much blues....i prefer raelly more monster thant sonic boom, the guitars are too thins. But i like demolition and jugulator, maybe not everything on them but i like the hauting ballads.

11. Waves Crashing

Waves Crashing Forum Resident

Hahah there was a second Vines album? I don't remember anything but the first album and that acoustic cover of "Ms. Jackson." It's kind of incredible what a flash in the pan they were. Highly Evolved was a weird mix of Nirvana and The Beatles when no one in the lime light was really trying to sound like either. They had some of the vintage appeal of all "The" bands of the 00s but didn't really seem to fit. And yeah, agreed that the second Interpol album was ****e. Still love Turn On the Bright Lights to this day but never cared about anything else they did.

Nowhere likes this.
  12. gritty

gritty Forum Resident

Chinese Democracy.
    I knew it wasn’t truly GN’R going into it, but still had high hopes due to Axl’s former brilliance.
    Shackler’s Revenge may be the worst song I’ve ever heard, by anyone. Riad and Scraped aren’t far behind.
    The album has it’s brief moments, but sounded dated upon release, and age has done it no favors.
    I do enjoy Better, The Blues demo, and the Catcher in the Rye demo, so it’s not a total loss, but definitely didn’t live up to my admittedly high expectations.

The MEZ and carlwm like this.
  13. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

At the time, it was the follow up to Hysteria. Don't even remember the album title. Heck, these days Hysteria holds no interest for me. Never bought another Def Leppard album. As an adult, I really only appreciate their first two albums. Pyromania is okay (worshiped it when I was a kid).

14. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

It exceeded mine. My only issues are that some of the guitar solos are merely competent, and that it should be an Axl solo album (not credited to G'n'R). Chinese Democracy remains the best thing any of them have done since the Illusion LPs IMO.

DTK and PyroMessiah like this.
  15. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

A few off the top of my head:

Simply Red - Life (after Stars) - the moment Simply Red became a Mick Hucknall solo project
    Jamiroquai - A Funk Odyssey (after Synkronized) - the moment Jamiroquai became a JK solo project
    Paul McCartney - Off The Ground (after Flowers in the Dirt) - extremely hokey
    Paul Weller - Stanley Road (after Wild Wood) - the beginning of PW's Dad Rawk phase
    Blur - 13 (after Blur) - besides the 2 decent singles, where are the hooks?
    Daft Punk - Human After All (after Discovery) - sounded like it took all of 3 days to loop/produce
    Beats International - Excursion on the Version (after Let Them Eat Bingo) - way too much reggae influence, not enough hip hop
    Oasis - Be Here Now (after Morning Glory) - simple rock songs rarely need to be 6+ minutes long

:hide: My apologies to those who enjoy any of the albums listed above.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    D.B. and Man at C&A like this.
  16. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

The Great Rock n roll Swindle was a pretty pile of poo.

17. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Spot on about Hellacious Acres. I like a couple of tracks, especially Best of Friends, but it was a major disappointment.

PyroMessiah likes this.
  18. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

Springsteen, Working On a Dream. My Bruce fandom has never really recovered.

The Jayhawks, Mockingbird Time. What happened there?

19. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

I could write some backstory for each of these but they all pretty much come down to this: none of these are objectively bad albums; I was a huge fan of the artist/group/previous album and they didn't live up to my high expectations based on their previous masterpieces. Out of all of these i really like Drukqs quite a bit now.

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
    El-P - I'll Sleep When Your Dead
    Aphex Twin - Drukqs
    Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
    Majesticons - Beauty Party (sequel to Infesticons - Gun Hill Road)
    Estradasphere - Palace of Mirrors
    Cool Calm Pete - Lost (following Babbletron - Mechanical Royalty)

Machiventa likes this.
  20. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Im sure this won't be a popular opinion, but after all the hype and everybody raving about it, the biggest disappointment was "Marquee Moon" by Television. I tried at least 2 times and got the same result both times. Great opening song, then long, monotonous and endless. Seemed to go on for hours and then realized that only the 1st side was done! Def. falls into the "I must be missing something" category

Also overhyped is the Who Sell Out, which was pretty disappointing. Their best album by far is Whos Next

After his brilliant first solo album, "Stephen Stills 2" is a dud as well, though not nearly as terrible as the critics said.

21. MDW

MDW Howard The Duck's Biggest Fan

Bob Dylan - Triplicate

I was hoping the standards would be a phase...

22. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Yes - Heaven & Earth

I think that pretty much sums this thread up. If you ever had a bigger disappointment, quote me.

23. gritty

gritty Forum Resident

Cool. Yea I was expecting it to be the best of post GN’R, but it just didn’t work out that way for me.

Izzy’s Juju Hounds, and 117 Degrees are my picks. Even though I wasn’t high on Velvet Revolver at the time, I can listen to both full lengths for what they are. Solid, cohesive band efforts.
    Chinese just sounds so disjointed to my ears. It always sounded to me like Axl was short on inspiration, and so he took half baked ideas, and tried to complete them by sprinkling endless amounts of effects and random guitar noodling on top, when he probably should have been devoting that time to the roots of the song itself. Of course we later found out that this was essentially the case. The songs were pretty much written in 2000, and tinkered with for 8 years before seeing release.

I probably enjoy The Blues, and Catcher in the Rye demos as much as anything the alumni have done since, but overall it was my biggest letdown, because of my expectations.
    He had set the bar pretty damn high.

24. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I don't think it's a 5 star album or anything but it did exceed my expectations. Buckethead excepted I found the guitar solos a letdown more than anything else. Give Slash a couple of years to fill that record with his magic and it would sound a lot more like Use Your Illusion 3.

As for Izzy, I was on board until the LPs stopped coming. It was interesting stuff rather than essential IMO and Velvet, Slither aside, were plain rubbish to these ears. A supergroup without the songs. Slash ain't a songwriter, his solo offerings over the years have proven this and the less said about his partnership with Myles Kennedy the better. I'm one of the few who hate that guy's voice and what's more he can't write a good song either. Duff? Well he's a very nice guy but his musical offerings outside of Guns have been laughable. Yep for me Axl has produced the best effort. Chinese Democracy gets four out of five stars.:angel:

DTK likes this.
  25. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

This goes back more than 45 years ago, but I was a big fan of The Cream, and dug the Blind Faith album. The next one with Clapton was with Delanie and Bonnie on Tour, and I didn't get it. Bought it new on release, played it once and put it away.
    Now, I "get it." And I have a nice clean, unplayed original pressing.
    Sort of a question of perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.