Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Haven't listened to these performances recently, but if I remember correctly they are a bit slow. I do like them, though. I prefer Pollini's earlier recordings to his more recent ones, but when I had the chance to get the big Pollini DG box for a nice price, I couldn't resist... The box is not complete anymore, Pollini made a few recordings for DG after the box was released.

[​IMG]

Mowgli, Eigenvector, crispi and 3 others like this.
  2. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

NP.... Fine sound and performances.

[​IMG]

Marzz, Soulpope, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

He easily navigates through some hair-raisingly difficult pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

It's the CD from the 2d Mercury box set. Whenever I play a record I usually (I hope always) begin with "Now on the turntable." :)

Wes H likes this.
  5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

:righton:

6. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

One more LP from the latest acquisitions - I actually found several albums from the 'Great Performances' collection, they are all promotional copies but still sealed. So lucky - for $ 5 CAD each.....On the TT.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Wes H, Eigenvector and 2 others like this.
  7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

While I have a fair number of Pollini's recordings, I do not like him enough to get his DG box, though I am inching toward getting the Haitink Symphony Edition box since I do not have most of the recordings in that box at this point ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  8. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Hey coopmv, did this yesterday and posted my photos, which appeared on the thread. Today however they have vanished, with some symbols showing about 'photobucket p500' or something or other. Did I do anything wrong ? Can u (or any other forumite) advise ?

9. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I believe that Photobucket wants to be paid. They used to have free photo hosting but I think if you want to share to forums now you have to pay them. Use Postimage.org — free image hosting / image upload for free hosting for the moment at least.

crispi and Wugged like this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Hits of 1500. This 1989 CD from the German label Christophorus has 23 Renaissance chart-toppers. You couldn't walk down the street anywhere in Europe without this stuff blaring out of every tavern. Performed by a 4-man 1-woman group of player/singers. Recorded in the Barbara-Saal, Augsburg, 1/89.

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  11. That disc started my love for Mozart's piano concertos. Still one of my favourites, especially the #23 concerto.

bluemooze, DeepFloyd11 and Soulpope like this.
  12. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Thanks for info. I will 'kick the bucket' and use your recommended site :D

13. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

[​IMG]

Byron Janis plays Prokofiev and Rachmaninov piano concertos // Mercury France vintage deluxe gatefold pressing, done by Philips

14. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Opus 111 Naive OP 30386) 2003 .... recorded 1984 (Prokofiev) and 1988 (Scriabin + Rachmaninov) @ (1988) St. Petersburg Russia .... one of the last living classical piano titans in performance ....

Marzz, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  15. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

You need to go to Vienna, trust me, it's a city of baroque wonders - I would go again tomorrow if I could ...

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  16. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

What an excellent idea - I'm going to check out what Argerich and Maisky vinyl is available - they have been playing together for a long time now ... They used to record as a trio with Kremer as well.

17. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Thanks so much for putting up the photos, would love to see a few more! Yes you need to get rid of horrible photof***it - I can highly recommend Flickr as an alternative, very easy to use.

crispi likes this.
  18. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

[​IMG]

Karajan conducts Rite of Spring (1964)

This version rarely gets praised, and I have to wonder why. Prompted by its inclusion in the Originals CD series (as a bonus on the Prokofiev 5 disc), I gave it a thorough listen. It’s become one of my favourite recordings of this work. The usual criticism is that Karajan makes it sound too “beautiful”—I have to wonder did those critics listen with their ear or just with their preconceptions? I find plenty of brutality here, no question about that. But what this recording also brings to the fore are the folk-ish and pastoral elements of the music, and it does so unlike any other recording. In the quieter parts there are raw and wild sonorities coming from some of solo instruments that I rarely heard before. So definitely give this a chance if you haven’t before.

My LP is a reissue from 1975, made from lacquers mastered in May 1971 and March 1972.

19. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Sony Classical 88691961142) 2012 .... thereof Gould`s precious view on the Partitas ....

Marzz, bluemooze, bigstar87 and 3 others like this.
  20. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the second Vivarte box.

[​IMG]

Mowgli, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  21. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

More weekend finds!! This is an audiophile pressing, manufactured in vinyl heaven - The Netherlands. :love:

[​IMG]

Mowgli, Marzz, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  22. coopmv

I don't believe it has gone to be a 100% pay site. @DeepFloyd11 uses Photobucket much more often than I do and maybe she can shed some light on this ...

23. coopmv

Here are the Byron Janis' recordings in my collection ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Byron Janis, Stephen Kovacevich and William Kapell are the only three native-born American pianists I really like ...

bluemooze, bigstar87 and crispi like this.
  24. Disc #45 of Mozart 225 The New Complete Edition. That's a lot of great Mozart pianists on a single disc.
    [​IMG]
    Piano Sonata in A minor K310

[​IMG]
    12 Variations on "Ah, Vous Dirai-Je, Maman" K265

[​IMG]
    Piano Sonata in A major K331 "Alla Turca"

[​IMG]
    Rondo in D major K485

[​IMG]
    Piano Sonata in F major K332

Mowgli, bluemooze, bigstar87 and 4 others like this.
  25. coopmv

I have that Horowitz's Mozart CD though I hesitate to dive into more Mozart recordings since I already have many, including a number of big boxes whose contents I do not recall ...