Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. I have it in the Deutsche Grammophon set Mozart 111 Masterworks, which adds all of Horowitz's other DG Mozart recordings as bonus tracks. A very nice disc.

crispi likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

If you enjoy Baroque, here is another of the Argerich-Maisky partnership that I have really enjoyed over the years ...

[​IMG]

Mowgli, bluemooze and julesd68 like this.
  3. coopmv

Here are all the Naive recordings by Sokolov in my collection. I do not have any of his DG recordings yet ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
  4. coopmv

Are you mainly a big box person? Not that there is anything wrong with that as big box approach is best for people who do not already have many singles but want to build a nice classical music collection ...

5. I used to be when I was starting out with classical music about 6 years ago. It was by far the easiest and cheapest way to build a decent collection of the basic classical music repertoire. Nowadays I don't really buy them anymore, since just about all of them feature too many pieces I already own. Since I love Mozart I really did want to have the Mozart 225 set, but I haven't bought any of them since. So I guess I'm slowly switching from big boxes to individual releases.

6. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Thanks, I have seen this but now added to wishlist ...:righton:

7. coopmv

One thing I really do not like is the almost constant repackaging of the same recordings in the follow-up big box to the original big box. It is also not easy to keep track of the contents of the big boxes. It seems the only upsides for these big boxes are the space savings and prices but they may be good enough for many folks ...

8. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Completely agree. Also, having seen the Berlin Phil several times in recent years I'm more than aware of what Karajan achieved with them!

crispi likes this.
  9. Another good thing about big boxes is that they often feature recordings that are currently unavailable on their own, or even never before released on CD. But yes, people who already own a big classical selection will no doubt soon run into many duplicates.

crispi likes this.
  10. coopmv

Unfortunately with the passage of time, fewer and fewer members of the BPO were under the tutelage of Karajan since it has been thirty years since the Europe director general of music last managed the orchestra. I really have no clue as to what values Simon Rattle has added. Mind you I have absolutely nothing against the English, I just do not like Rattle as a conductor ...

Wugged, Thomas R and julesd68 like this.
  11. coopmv

That is why I pick and choose which big box to buy to avoid having too many duplicates. If there are enough OOP recordings in the box, I would still buy that big box since it makes economic sense ...

12. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Absolutely. Sadly I just don't hear the drive and passion anymore that they had under HVK. I detect more than a degree of complacency.

crispi likes this.
  13. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I meant to ask - do you know of any good Bach cello / harpsichord recordings?

14. coopmv

I have the following version of the LP recording ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and bigstar87 like this.
  15. coopmv

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Rain continues this gray-looking Monday... Maybe that's why I'm drawn to some colorful music from Respighi, Mussorgsky, and Rimsky-Korsakov. (A colorful jacket from DG, as well!) Peformed by the Berlin Philharmonic, led by Lorin Maazel.
    DG, tulips LP, German, 1965.

[​IMG]

17. coopmv

BPO direct linkage to Karajan was broken with the retirement of Claudio Abbado, who was student of Karajan along with Seiji Ozawa. Eschenbach would have been a much better successor to Abbado than Rattle IMO ...

crispi likes this.
  18. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I absolutely adore this LP, especially the Rimsky. Electric performances and recording. I have the later Heliodor pressing. Sadly the cover isn't quite as lovely!

Wes H likes this.
  19. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I am at a friend’s house right now and listening to some cheap compilation called “Andante”, on the Decca label. It contains mostly slow movements from string quartets and such. Anyway, what I find remarkable is the fact that there are around 39 (!) minutes of music per side and the records sound absolutely phenomenal. No trace of inner groove distortion at all and plenty of dynamics. These are DMM cuts.

20. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Different recording. Yours is from 1977. I’ve not heard it.

21. coopmv

@julesd68, I also have the following recording but am not sure why the CD jacket says Bob van Asperen on organ instead of harpsichord. Anner Bylsma is of course the great Dutch cellist ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and julesd68 like this.
  22. coopmv

You usually get the oldie but goodie. I might have seen the version you have but decided to go with the later version ... :righton:

crispi likes this.
  23. coopmv

Is this for real? This is almost CD length recording on an LP ... :yikes:

crispi likes this.
  24. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I had an opportunity to buy this Geza Anda Schumann & Grieg lp on DG a couple of days ago. Does anyone know it? I could go back and buy it I expect, and it was very cheap ... :)

[​IMG]

25. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I find DMM can be wonderful but can also sound too strident and edgy on occasion.

crispi likes this.