New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Very fun season closer! Best long story arc in Trek history! I'm completely satisfied and can't wait 'til next season!
    Clint Howard as an alien! Drink some tranya if you predicted this!

Classic Enterprise! Man I hope they show us Pike and No. 1 at least!

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yeah, that was pretty cool! She looked gorgeous! I wanted more. I wanted to see the interior. I wonder if next season will pick up where this season left off and show us a bit more.

I'm glad that
    the Klingon war is over, and we can move into uncharted territory.

It's interesting that
    Saru wasn't promoted to captain. I wonder who it will be.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Lorca's long-lost twin brother...

4. Dr. Pepper

They were heading to Vulcan to get their new captain. Could it be Michael since that is where she is from? Seems kind of silly to travel to Vulcan, just for them to say "Oh look, your new captain was with you all the time!" Also if it is Michael, it becomes weirder the longer they keep Saru in charge as the acting Captain. I do like Michael as 1st officer, she just seems like she would be far more boring as Captain.

What do you think they will do with the Enterprise? Will we get to see the crew? What crew would it be? Is this 10 years before Kirk takes over?

Encuentro likes this.
  5. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

A very satisfying finale to what's been a terrific season.

... and what a final scene. Yeah, baby! :agree:

Encuentro likes this.
  6. Discovery gets the big tick from me. I loved how the the show finale closed with the classic Star Trek theme music.

Edgard Varese and Encuentro like this.
  7. Dr. Pepper

On After Trek, one of the writers said that they had planned backward from that last scene of the finale, so they knew the ending from the start. I love that they had a plan the whole time and so much foreshadowing throughout the season! I hated to hear the writers on the various Trek series of the past say they wrote one half of a two part season cliffhanger finale ant wrote the second part the following season. Kind of hard to write a cohesive story that way.

budwhite likes this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It will be the Captain Pike crew from “The Cage” era. I’m not sure if they will actually pick up where they left off and introduce those characters. It would be interesting to see them and the interior of the Enterprise if they decide to go that route. If they do decide to go all in with the Enterprise, it will be interesting to see how they present the interior. Will they go with the original look?

9. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Superb season 1.
    Boldly go, live long and prosper

Encuentro likes this.
  10. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

I have no idea where this show will go in its second season. I just know that, overall, the first season was to my liking.

BeatleJWOL and Encuentro like this.
  11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, I can't read anything. We're only up to about episode #8. I have to say, I like the show a lot more than I was expecting. The Harry Mudd episode was terrific.

13. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

I got three series into Voyager and one into Enterprise before I bailed. One into this. I found dull and unimaginative. Too many shows (Hello Doctor Who) trading on past glories. One shot of the original Enterprise doesn't make up for all the boring bits leading up to it. Too many 'I grew up watching this' type writers, basically writing fan fiction, filling in 'plot holes' or gaps that don't matter. This should have been a post TNG era show. And, they made the mirror universe so dull. I mean, that's pretty hard to do. Anyway, live long and proper.

Deesky likes this.
  14. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

No. No they didn't.

Encuentro likes this.
  15. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Well, that's okay if you liked it.
    There was only one actual character with a character in the Mirror Universe, and Michelle Yeoh along with Jason Isaacs was the most appealing thing about it all before it started.
    In fact, who were the bridge crew?
    Don't know much more about most of them now than at the start.
    My girlfriend liked it, but then she thinks Voyager was not only good, but better than DS9.
    I'm likely to see some more if she watches it but it's not on the 'must watch' list.
    I like to have a sci-fi show on the go, but it'll have to be 'The Expanse' when it comes back, that was far more interesting.
    Even 'Dark Matter'.
    That's the last three series and two films, I should perhaps let it go and move on.

16. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

That final episode was certainly the cherry on top. I can't wait for Season Two! :)

Encuentro likes this.
  17. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

So they’re going to Vulcan to pick up their new captain. The captain wasn’t named, which leads one to believe that he or she is a character previously introduced at some point in the franchise’s history. Who could it be? Can we assume that this character is a Vulcan? No, it is not going to be that most famous of Vulcans, as that most famous of Vulcans is the Science Officer on the Enterprise under Captain Pike’s command. I’m surprised that Saru didn’t get the gig.

daglesj likes this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

20. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I hope they ignore the fanboy whining and update the look to what we’d expect on a TV show made in 2018, and I say this as someone who has been watching or reading Star Trek in its various incarnations for 50 years.

Encuentro and wayneklein like this.
  21. Well anyone could have been on the planet. Yes. this is 10 years before Kirk.

22. Well if you saw one episode, how would you know about all of the "boring bits" leading up the finale. if you stuck with it, it was pretty darn good.

Encuentro likes this.
  23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think it would be great if they didn't something that - somehow - strongly recalled the original Enterprise bridge while still looking like a contemporary vision of the future. I thought the reboot Trek movies came kinda close as reboots of the Enterprise sets from the films, but not so much from the original series.

Encuentro likes this.
  24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Something like this might work. It's a modernized version of the TOS bridge but still remiscent of the original aesthetic. It's amazing what can be done nowadays! My guess is that it will pay homage to the original bridge while updating it for 21st Century audiences.

25. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

Nothing was said about picking up a new captain. They were heading to Vulcan to drop off Sarek. (Sarek thanks Saru for "indulging him".) Saru does correct "Captain on the bridge" to "Acting captain", but nothing is mentioned about getting their permanent captain any time soon.