A question about raw audio versus processed.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Asmo, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asmo

Asmo Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello.

I have a question that I think I know the answer to. But in the absence of the (perhaps) easier solution, I'm curious to know if anything can be done.

I have a particular recording, in both lossy and lossless formats. The lossless version appears to have had some sort of noise removal applied to it, and the lossy version sounds a little more raw (to my ears). Is there perhaps a way to make the lossless version sound more like the lossy version, even though there's most likely no way to undo the noise removal. I don't really know if the terms I've used are appropriate, but I'm just curious.

Alternatively, I'm happy to upload samples of each version to see if audible differences can indeed be discerned.

P.S. all the lossless versions I'm aware of seem to have the same filter applied. Perhaps the lossy version I have is from a different transfer of the source cassette.

Any input is greatly welcomed.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You can't unscramble an egg. It's as simple as that.

crispi likes this.
  3. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

yea your only choice is to find the "source" of the lossy version without the DNR. And get a clean rip from that source.
    find out where it came from.

PhilBiker likes this.
  4. Asmo

Figured as much. Thanks for the reply.

I've been trying to do that for a few years, it's perplexing. Thanks for the response.

5. What music is it?

6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I would like to hear a sample, the same part, of each.

arisinwind likes this.
  7. I would too.

8. Asmo

Thanks for the responses. I'll upload a sample of each, tomorrow.

Leonthepro and JimmyCool like this.
  9. Asmo

Here are the samples. I can upload more, if necessary.

I tried to select the same part, but the lengths may slightly differ.

samples.zip

10. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

The two files sound very dull. In my opinion, no reason to determine possible differences.
    I did something. Boosting strongly “4 kHz” and “8 kHz” by means of the graphic equalizer of “Adobe Audition”. The result: the sound became much more “vivid” and “sharp”.

arisinwind likes this.
  11. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

That "lossless" file is no longer lossless. Heavy improper NR has made it worse with more loss than the "lossy" mp3.

arisinwind likes this.
  12. I listened to both of them and agree with previous statements that they are "dull" sounding. That and being 128kbps mp3 leaves little to work with. I took the noise reduction file and applied some EQ to come up with what I think is a better sounding file. I think a lossless file would sound even better.

Below is a link to the file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9zhsqk2pwncqsj/Noise Reduction AW.mp3?dl=0

Asmo likes this.
  13. Asmo

Thank you all for the input. I can upload additional, higher quality samples if necessary. The lossy version was originally 320kbps, but I guess audacity's default settings bumped it down to 128.

Arisinwind, that does sound better. I'm curious to know what you did to the file? I could supply a lossless version for you to test, if you like.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    arisinwind likes this.
  14. I applied some EQ, used a VST plugin to bring the mid-range forward some, along with some other VST plugins. Send me a link to the lossless version and I'll work on it work you.

15. Asmo

Done. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.