The Data Is In: You Like The Music You Heard When You Were 14

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shaddam IV, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

naah, for some reason you just want to believe that.

2. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

If this was true for me I'd be wearing a lumber jacket and pair of Kodiak's listening to Sabbath and AC/DC lol

eddiel and Shaddam IV like this.
  3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Exactly, but that's not the point Stone Turntable was making.

4. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

I was just getting into Genesis, Pink Floyd and Yes when I was 14, still into them now.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I do.

And I like a lot of other stuff I’ve heard from 15 to 51.

6. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

You sir, have never been to a bar full of 45-60 year old guys then!

7. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I didn't like most of the music that has been made in 1978...didn't like punk, hated disco... I 'discovered' most of the music I listened to when I was around 18-22 years....

8. This study wouldn't apply to most of the people who come to this forum.People here tend to be a lot more fanatical about music and many tend to be looking out for new music.
    Pretty much all of my friends (I'm 64) who are casual fans stopped picking up new artists by their late 20's and by their mid 30's were no longer interested by new music from their old favourites.
    We are not typical.

9. Raoul97202

Raoul97202 Forum Resident

We should consider that this data more accurately reflects the "average" music listeners and consumers.

Not necessarily people like us on this forum who are really really into music.

Also, if all of the hard data is only coming from Spotify users, they not be completely typical either and that should be factored in to the analysis.

10. INSW

INSW Senior Member

That's the age it kicked in for me. 1978. Got the Rolling Stone Record Guide and it was off to the races. The type of music I still like was formulated that year, even if newer artists who play that music came later.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I guess this explains "the Age of Taylor Swift." :D

But seriously, wasn't there another study that found music stimulates the same part of the brain as drugs? Someone here posted it. So maybe, before we got our hands on cigarettes, beer, and mom's Ativan, we got our biggest "kick" from music and that's why we love it so dearly.

12. johnebravo

johnebravo Forum Resident

This seems to me quite right. I think it's safe to say that the readers of and posters to this website are not a randomly selected cross-section of people at large. ;) This is a self-selected group of pretty extreme music enthusiasts. That many of us here are exceptions doesn't really disprove the existence of the phenomenon, i.e., that many, many people suffer from what is, for all practical purposes, the musical equivalent of "arrested development". For their entire lives, the music that they were listening to in their teenage years will be always be their favorite kind of music by far, and in many cases will be the only kind of music in which they ever have any interest.

13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I was 12 when this came out, so it's not a favourite. ;)

You know, there's a bunch of posts here that disagree with this, and I suppose you can if you personally don't feel this way.
    But if this is data, collected and synthesized, and this is what the data shows, it's kinda tough to say things like, "This is wrong".

Shaddam IV likes this.
  14. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

I'm about a year older than you.

In 1981-82, I liked all of these artists except for Rainbow, Al DiMeola and Judas Priest.

In 2018, only the Who, Hendrix and the Beatles make the cut. But even back then, I had a caveat: nothing after Keith Moon died. I still feel the same way.

I loved Zappa at eleven, and liked him at fifteen, but these days I only like his older Verve records, with the Mothers. And even then, it's selective. Zappa is more somebody I respect than actually want to listen to. I think Freak Out! was his finest moment. I'd rather listen to Captain Beefheart, myself.

Never liked Van Halen, Boston, Triumph, Foreigner or Styx.

Liked Journey and REO at the time, but those days are long gone.

I still think AC/DC are really good, but overplay on the radio burned me out.

dlokazip likes this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Most of the people I know who regularly listen to their music via Spotify, Pandora, and YouTube just aren't as into music as the lot of us are. So, it looks to me that this rings true to average people for whom music isn't front row center of their lives, who don't remember or care about what label an artist is on, or know where the edit points are, who the producer and engineer are, or how many mixes there are of a song. Most of that is useless to most people who just like the feel and the lyrics.

johnebravo and Shaddam IV like this.
  16. Interesting - I was 14 in 1964 when the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan. Hmm.

Joti Cover and Shaddam IV like this.
  17. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

I'm thinking that how much this is true does depend somewhat on when you were born.
    It would be interesting to see data on how true this is for someone who is now 25, 35, 45, or 75.

When I was a kid most of the great music discussed on this site came out......

Shaddam IV likes this.
  18. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I'm nostalgic for a lot of the music from when I was 14 (1982), but my 5 of my 6 favorite artists (Hendrix, Clapton, Zeppelin, Rush, Who, Allmans), I'd really only heard one of them before I was 14 and not all that much (The Who)

Joti Cover and Shaddam IV like this.
  19. Grant

I listen to 60s music like I was a teenager back then. I listen to 90s music like I was a teenager then, too. I love 70s music and I really was a teenager then. The only music, while I like lots of it, that i'm not too passionate about, is the 80s. For me, the 00s were pretty much blah until 2010. Then it turned back into a "Teenage Dream".

Shaddam IV likes this.
  20. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ditto.

21. Grant

Sunshine Superman

Crimson Witch and Shaddam IV like this.
  22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

"Talk Talk"

23. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

The real problem is that the whole thing is predicated upon a blanket statement which have that annoying tendency to be far too widely cast to have any real meaning. One size fits all hardly ever fits anyone.

Grant likes this.
  24. SGR

SGR Forum Resident

While I still love the music I heard in early adolescence, I can say that my musical horizons have expanded. For example, at the time I had no interest in jazz, but eventually I came to appreciate artists like John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, and Sun Ra.

25. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I think it should be noted that these are statistics. Not everyone will fit into the group. Saying that it’s not true because you personally have had a different experience doesn’t devalue the study. It just means that on average, these numbers appear to show a correlation between music tastes and age. It should also be noted that there are a number of things not present in this as well so I wouldn’t be quick to agree or disagree with their findings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.