Did Richard Herd wear a wig on V series or T.J. Hooker?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Kiko1974, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiko1974

Kiko1974 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's a question I've always wondered as he wasn't a very famous actor in Spain. Did Richard Herd wore a wig on the V Series or T.J. Hooker? After V he seemed to be bald on the top of his head, 'tough on the Sea Quest DSV series he was mostly seen wearing a cap. Does anybody know him or have met him in the 70's or 80's so knows if he did wear a wig or not?
    His hair didn't look like a wig on V or T.J. Hooker but after that he went mostly bad at an age that's not the proper age to get bald unless one suffers some kind of sickness, which didn't seem to be the case.
    Here are some examples.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

T.J. Hooker.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  3. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Yep that is definitely a wig in TJ and V, and a pretty bad one too!
    Shatner had the best toupee in TJ Hooker.

inperson and Kiko1974 like this.
  4. Kiko1974

Thank you both for your replies. So Richard Herd was definitely bald when he did T.J. Hooker and V and he used wigs.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The trick (told to me by a pro Hollywood hair & makeup veteran) is to look for a "visible hairline." If you don't see one, then it's a combover or a wig. He differentiated between a "piece" (a toupee) and a full wig, and said that quite a few actors use just a small partial rug to cover up a little bald spot or to provide a little more "fill."

I would say Mr. Herd was definitely wearing a wig. Some surprising actors were wearing them going back a long way, some of them nearly undetectable. One guy who always looked impeccable even with the rug was Ricardo Montelaban (as one example), but he was such a classy guy, he always looked good.

6. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

The famous 'Shatner Turbo 2000'.

7. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

"Everyone loves their Nest Thermostat. Except Grandpa", with Richard
    Herd 2014.

krock2009, inperson, Kiko1974 and 2 others like this.
  8. Kiko1974

On V on some scenes Mr. looked like wearing a wig, a bad one, an on other ones it got the job done and it looked natural and 100% real IMO,that's why I asked.
    Ricardo Montalbán was indeed a classy gentleman and far for the stereotype of "latin lover", actually, I met him once in Marbella, I said hello and among other things I told him he was the only actor I liked on Star Trek WOK.He was such he classy guy that he said that all the cast was great as actors and friends, all in PERFECT CASTILLIAN, imposible to say by the way he spoke he was Mexican,he sounded like a native Castillian Spanish. He was charming and extremely friendly.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I was actually shocked to see Walter Koenig without a wig. In fact, I had no idea he was bald but I am bad at telling who wears a wig (except for Chekov in Season 2 that is most definitely a wig).

[​IMG]

Walter today:

[​IMG]

So I assume he wore one as far back at The Motionless Picture.

Have never seen Shatner without his.

As for me, as I approach middle age mine is starting to receed. My thoughts? No big deal. I have no one to impress and there is nothing I can do about it so I'm ok with it.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  10. Kiko1974

William Shatner is bald?

krock2009 likes this.
  11. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

One I always wondered about was Don Adams, he was certainly wearing one towards the end of his life.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I think he had just a small "piece" on Get Smart, but by the time he was doing game shows and stuff in the late 1970s, there was a lot of follicle augmentation going on. Same with Shatner -- he lost a lot more hair as time went on. I saw him come in to VO sessions for Rescue 911, and he either wore a baseball cap or just let it shine. He didn't care (at least when not on camera).

I believe Walter Koenig always wore a rug. Very nice man -- he's gone through some very sad family issues in the last few years. Very well-liked in the business.

I notice that Jason Isaacs -- who is an excellent actor -- continues the "bald actor wearing a toupee" tradition in the new Star Trek: Discovery. I think Isaacs looks good, but any pro could tell there's some very careful hair work going on there.

13. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Actors have been wearing toupes for years. Bud Abbott wore a partial or full piece in every piece of film he made.

Vidiot and Kiko1974 like this.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I don't know. I love the guy, but I've gotten this far in life without thinking about his hair. :)

Kiko1974 likes this.
  15. Kiko1974

What guy?

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think James Brown wore a wig for a large portion of his career, certainly by the late 1960s. He went through some really weird hairstyle "eras."

Yovra likes this.
  18. stereoguy

Also, both Jack Klugman AND Tony Randall wore hairpieces in The Odd Couple. There is one episode where they play thier fathers, and in that episode, they were filmed without thier hairpieces.

Vidiot likes this.
  19. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

I believe his name is "Tania".[​IMG]

Alfie Noakes likes this.
  20. Kiko1974

Is this guy Richard Herd? This pic must be old, Herd must be like 80 something now, he was middle age man on V and that was 35 years ago...

21. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Yes, it's him from Seinfeld over 20 years ago.

22. stereoguy

Another actor wearing one was Larry Hagman in Dallas. Some years it looked good, some not so good.

23. stereoguy

I'm fairly certain Rob Reiner wore a full wig as "Mike Stivik" on All in The Family.
    Also Don Knotts as Mr Furley on Three's Company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.