What's a record that you know exists but you've never been able to find?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Crowley, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That has to be an error. There wouldn't be a US pressing on Mercury-- at that point 10cc were signed to Warners here.

Octowen likes this.
  2. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

Up until Christmas I could not find a RAD soundtrack on vinyl out in the wild... then a good friend surprised me.

Rodz42 and kouzie like this.
  3. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

The Haunted, Plastic Cloud, Rockadrome, The British North American Act, Reign Ghost, Folklords, etc.

troggy likes this.
  4. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

I've seen it listed in price guides but never seen or even heard of one. B side was Little Umbrellas?

michanes likes this.
  5. Octowen

Octowen Forum Resident

That's another reason I'm skeptical, but I also could've sworn that I had read somewhere that the album had a limited release in the US with its original track listing. There is one for sale on discogs, so perhaps I'll approach the seller to see if this really is for real.

EDIT: looks like someone already bought the copy that was for sale! That was quick.

6. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Have that one. Picked it up at the time along with all the 7" & 12" & cassettes & CDS! I was a big Queen fan in '91. Still am though I've calmed down a bit. There's always copies on Ebay. Seen a few in the local market stall before now. I think the rearranged track order is because there are no edited songs like on the original.

7. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

I dunno. I'm still seeing one listed for €8 located in the Netherlands.

Octowen likes this.
  8. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Everything about that cover seems highly suspect to me.
    First of all, it's listed as a "re-issue".

Peaches is, as we all know, a Zappa solo release, nothing to do with the Mothers.
    Whereas, a foreign pressing might make that mistake, there's no way on earth a US pressing would be like that.
    The typefaces all look suspect to me too, not to mention the lack of a proper Bizarre logo.
    I would bet money that the sleeve is a modern homemade fake. There's plenty of things like this on ebay for other artists. This is just another one of those.

I also doubt the existence of a US "Peaches En Regalia" 45 altogether.
    One would have turned up somewhere by now, especially with all the Zappa obsessives out there.

9. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I've never seen a copy of this in the wild either.

ibekeen likes this.
  10. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I have this one too. It is findable but it's not common. I see it as often as Buckingham Nicks and Pacific Ocean Blue (maybe once or twice a year)

11. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Once I thought I almost found it. I say "almost" because the cover was mono, but when I checked out the record it was a regular stereo pressing.

Gaslight likes this.
  12. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

There are plenty of records that I know exist but finding them "in the wild" or locally will be a very tall order. But, I never figured I'd find a copy of Mountain Bus' Sundance, especially here in Maine, but there it was in the Grateful Dead section. And for a mere $20. So I've learned to never say never.

The odds of me finding an OG Pulp Different Class in the aperture cover, or Songs from Suicide Bridge by David Kauffman and Eric Caboor in the northeast are slim. But Discogs is the great equalizer, so "finding" them is easier than ever. The question is, do I want to pay those prices or wait for who knows when to stumble across a copy?

13. ChrisInKansas

ChrisInKansas Forum Resident

That would be amazing of you. Thanks!

14. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

The soundtrack to Ladies & Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains.

The vinyl was withdrawn on the MORNING of release - something has to exist somewhere!

15. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Especially since it shows Flo and Eddie in the picture !

geo50000 and vudicus like this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I had that happen at least once.

geo50000 likes this.
  17. I once had a vinyl LP of Laura Allan's Reflections, with Paul Horn. On Unity Records. Lost track of it somewhere. Haven't seen a copy since.

Not songs, like her other work. It's an ambient/"new age" Windham Hill sort of record. Good morning music.

I'd like to find that live Townes Van Zandt LP with "Praise the Lord, and Pass the Mescaline." Or maybe that's Marc Benno?

18. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Tell you what, you seem like a decent sort. PM me if you're interested in a VG- copy as a 'placeholder'.
    I found it a few years ago for a buck at a thrift store, and I'm not that attached to it. I'll let it go cheap.

Gaslight likes this.
  19. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

None of these are impossible to find, but I'm looking for that "he doesn't know what he has" kind of deals:

The Who stock 7" of "Young Man" b/w "Substitute"
    The Kinks 12 track version of VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY (prefer the French pressing)
    The Iveys- MAYBE TOMORROW UK
    Galaxie 500- "Tugboat" b/w "King of Spain"

michanes likes this.
  20. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

21. arem

arem Forum Resident

I really want a copy of Lyn Christopher's only LP but it is highly sought after by two groups of fanatical collectors. KISS fans want it because Gene and Paul sing backup vocals on here, before KISS had a record out. And hip-hop breakbeat heads want it because "Take Me With You" is a killer song. They pop up occasionally for way more than I'm willing to spend but I'm convinced there's one out there in a dollar bin somewhere with my name on it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    bloodlemons and hamicle like this.
  22. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I don't know if it exists or not, maybe someone here can tell me, I would love to have an original version of the Barnaby Jones theme on vinyl.

Just a month ago I discovered that the Sunday Mystery Movie by Mancini was pressed on vinyl back in the day (which I quickly found and bought on ebay) so maybe, I'm hoping, this Jerry Goldsmith piece was put out on vinyl.

23. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

That's what I'm banking for if I ever find it out in the wild. No way I'd get that for $2 online.

24. Fred Phred

Fred Phred Active Member

Hey Gentle Senator,
    Just going through my vinyl the other day and discovered I have a brown vinyl CFATBDC signed by Elton John and Bernie Taupin!
    I remember buying it as a teenager in 1976 from a secondhand record store. Unfortunately there is a small tear in the front cover that my teenage self fixed with sticky tape. It has two booklets but no poster. The vinyl is in really good condition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

+1

Rose River Bear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.