Any reliable sites to buy Japanese CDs shipped to USA?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by altaeria, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

CD Japan all the way!

2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Just received an email update saying it was pushed back 3-4 weeks. There are around a half dozen other CDs in this pianist's series under the same label that simply say "unavailable" (which you can't order), so I hope their distributor is able to fill this one.

3. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

CD Japan is good, and for the obscure I have had good luck with YS JAPAN STORE on Amazon Marketplace.

4. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I also would like to know what this means.

5. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I think it is for countries that charge a VAT (value added tax) on imports.

6. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

You don't need to "mark as gift" for any music media brought into the U.S. It is all duty free.

7. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever!

I regularly purchase from CD Japan. Just received this week the Japanese cardboard sleeve versions of Toto IV and Wings Over America. Great sound and no issues. I have over 300 of Japanese cardboard sleeve mini LP CD's and most came from CD Japan.

8. J. Joyce

J. Joyce Active Member

Amazon are also clear about their CDR On-Demand service. It'll say CDR in the "product description" section. I've only encountered it with reissues of Japanese artists from the 70s, which has a much smaller audience than reissues of say Jazz or US/UK artists.

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I used to use CDJapan all the time but am having a major problem with them right now. Their customer service keeps ignoring multiple questions in my emails and has been abysmal trying to deal with them.

At this point I will never order from them again, which really sucks because there are things they are getting in on preorder which no one else has. I have been looking for alternatives to CDJapan now for a few weeks but not finding anything up to snuff sadly. I have a thread where I asked about this already but thought I would try this one too.

Any suggestions for a site similar to CDJapan for Japanese imports, that also has preorders for limited items? Thx for any recommendations.

10. Javier Santivanez

Javier Santivanez Forum Resident

Have you tried Amazon Japan? You can set the language to English for easy browsing and their international shipping charges are very reasonable. I normally split all my orders between CDJapan and Amazon Japan. For the recent "The Who Sell Out" boxset I had preordered the SHM Version from CDJapan, but received an email that they would have not enough stock. I ordered from Amazon Japan without any problems.

slipkid and Curveboy like this.
  11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I just placed my first order with Amazon Japan because they had (by FAR) the best price including shipping. It arrived a day ahead of schedule too.

slipkid likes this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, I did try Amazon Japan - as soon as I discovered the CDJapan needlessly canceled my preorder of what was a "limited edition" boxset, without so much as even letting me know that they had done that (long story).

Amazon Japan had the boxset in stock for basically the same amount as I had been charged by CDJapan but try as I might I could NOT place an order with Amazon Japan. I gave up and panic bought the boxset from a seller on ebay instead fearing it would go completely out of print or already had, with prices tripling or worse. Ended up paying $50 MORE than my total CDJapan price. Then later learned it was not sold out at all, CDJapan had plenty more in stock and still do. And to add insult to injury I discovered that Paypal ripped me off $10 on the refund that CDJapan issued me (I paid $227 originally but was only refunded $217). Again, long story.

I don't understand it at all but Amazon Japan did not recognize the email address I use for Amazon USA, CA, UK, Germany, and France. It kept telling me to create a new account in order to place my order. And I hit a brick wall then because it required me to enter a mobile # so that they could send me a text msg to authenticate with a code when I tried to create my account. I refuse to give out my cellphone # for this kind of thing (long story there as well). Amazon USA sometimes requires a phone # for my login but it works with my landline (authenticates with a spoken code). I could not figure out how to get Amazon Japan to do that. Can anyone advise on how to create an account with Amazon Japan without giving out a mobile phone #?????

13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I too was surprised that my Amazon account that seems to work at other sites didn't with Amazon Japan, but I just went with the process and had them send the code to my cell phone. I took all of 60 seconds and I was in and able to place the order.

Sorry I can't help with the landline, but it was fairly painless with the cell phone.

slipkid likes this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

For anyone in similar situation as me who wants to create an account at Amazon JP but refuses (or cannot) give them a mobile # for them to send a text message to as part of the verification process, here is a way to do it without needing to supply a phone # at all.

I just stumbled onto this solution by sheer luck while trying to contact their support to ask how to create an account if you do not have a cellphone etc.

(1) Go to their support page at this link:
    Amazonサインイン

(2) You'll be confronted with a page asking you to sign in. Since I did not have an account that isn't much good. I am trying to contact them for help on HOW to create an account in the first place - BUT - that same page also gives an option for CREATING a new account. Although logically you would think that trying that from there would give you the same crap about requiring you to enter a mobile # so that they can text you a confirmation code to enter, it does NOT do that. It simply uses your email address!!!!! So...

.... Click on the button for creating a new account towards the bottom of the page. Fill in your info NAME, EMAIL, PASSWORD, and RE-ENTER PASSWORD then click on the CREATE YOUR AMAZON ACCOUNT button.

(3) You'll next be given a screen saying something like "enter your confirmation code which we just sent to your email address" which will have an entry blank there for you to fill in the code. There is no bullshhhit there whatsoever about asking you to enter a mobile # to use for them to text you that confirmation to, unlike what their standard pathway for creating an account does there. It simply sends you an email (like what Amazon US etc does, or at least used to do when I first signed up years ago). Get the code from your email and enter that and...

....VIOLA!!! Success.

I can only assume that the crap with them wanting a mobile # is similar to what paypal is doing now as well (which also has a way around that), for insidious purposes, marketing, spam, data collecting, whatever, is something that they FORGOT to change from email to mobile # in the account setup programming under the HELP/CONTACT page and only set that up in their main area instead.

I still had to enter a phone # later after I logged in and edited my account to have a shipping address as that is part of the form associated with their delivery , but that accepts basically any # you want to enter, even a bogus one if you wanted to do that I guess, supposedly only used to "assist with delivery". I don't mind giving out the landline for that form - it is already afflicted with dozens of spam calls a day & I have a call blocker and other things to deal with that.

Dave and Curveboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.