Are there any great films that you'd never watch again because of how depressing/intense they are?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by acemachine26, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G E

G E Senior Member

I haven't seen Schindler List in a long while. One scene that sticks with me is the tight shot of the black locomotive spewing black smoke and ash as it enters the camp. I felt it represented Evil incarnate.

Black Hawk Down is hellishly great movie making. I have it on Blu Ray. I have watched it several times and it is no less intense with each viewing.

All Quiet on the Western Front. A more "anti-war" film than even Paths of glory. Or Gallipoli. It was one of the early "talkies" and hugely ambitious and effective. It's ending will haunt you for a good long while.

There's a reason I store war films between horror and science fiction.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Splungeworthy and PonceDeLeroy like this.
  2. G E

G E Senior Member

Gavinyl likes this.
  3. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

[​IMG]

I was cheeering for the aliens. I mean... why wouldn't you ?

D.D.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

On this we agree! ;)

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

As long as the put a sock in Harvey Fierstein's mouth, they're my heroes.

6. Augustus McRae

Augustus McRae Forum Resident

Can a movie just be so sad you don't want to see it again? Sommersby affected me that way.

7. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Brokeback Mountain

8. brianplowe

brianplowe Forum Resident

+1 on Irreversible

9. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Angela's Ashes

10. Sterling Cooper

Sterling Cooper Forum Resident

I can’t even get myself to watch “Schindler’s List” for the first time, knowing the premise.

11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. The ending is emotionally shattering. A close second, or maybe it's even worse, is Testament, a 1983 movie about the "survivors" of a nuclear attack. It's shattering throughout once the missiles/bombs go off.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  12. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

TAXI DRIVER I wouldn't watch again - yes, it's art, but there's also a lot of European films that show sadness, despair and confusion.
    As a person who can be prone to melancholy, I don't need to be reminded of the ugliness in the world and the darkest corners of the mind, even when portrayed by the finest performers.

13. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

For me this started in the 70s just too much> prefer movies 1969 back to 1920. I don't watch much else, and if I do I don't need to see it again> but that's me! :sigh: I also prefer 60s tv to 70s. I am enjoying watching Batman, Bewitched, & the Monkees as they are on now on CHCH Hamilton, good memories.
    Good natured fun>:goodie:

sean

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Started it way back then, didn't make it halfway. No way am I even going to try again.

15. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

one film comes to mind...SPUN. Good soundtrack though.

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The first half is a romantic comedy compared to the last! When I saw it in the theater, many members of the audience just sat there either in stunned silence or in tears.

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

heh.
    I remember at the time telling someone I had tuned out and she teared up and said "Oh God, I wish I had."

18. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I know this will have some of you rolling your eyes but I'm not sure I want to see the Coen Brothers version of True Grit again, because the last five minutes were just so overwhelmingly sad. Say what you want about the John Wayne version but at least it doesn't negate the rousing adventure you've been watching at the end.

19. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

my thoughts exactly.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  20. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

What Dreams May Come

I love the movie, but I sometimes have a difficult time making it all the way through in one sitting.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

Frances
    The Wind That Shakes The Barley

Both brilliant, both very different from each other and I'm glad I saw them and I never want to see either one again.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Funny - in my memory, I thought I hated that movie, but I reread my review and realized I thought it was okay. Didn't love it, didn't hate it! :shrug:

Will give it another look in the near future - haven't seen it in nearly 20 years! :eek:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Pink Floyd "The Wall."

agaraffa likes this.
  24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I forgot that the thread specified "Great". I wouldn't consider it great, but good to very good. I own it on DVD and Blu-ray, FWIW.

25. Oatsdad

I put the BD in my Netflix queue and will refresh my memory!

I was all ready to mock you for liking it because I remembered it as being a "Patch Adams"-level disaster, but then I had to read my old review and find out I didn't hate it.

Damn - I was looking forward to all that mockery! :laugh:

The Hud likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.