Best headphones for listening..?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leo Lyons, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leo Lyons

Leo Lyons New Member Thread Starter

Beyer DT? Any advice on this?

2. Pier

Pier Well-Known Member

I've chosen AKG K 240 Mark II

3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

???

marcb likes this.
  4. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Much depends on your musical choices. If you want a lot of quality bass, dynamic and Planar headphones do better than electrostatics. I love my Koss ESP-950 electrostatic phones. Planar phones have better slam, I have the Monoprice M1060, and I find them very listenable. In ear monitors vary a lot, some go deep, some are bright, most better ones are even across the frequencies .
    Best advice, try and go to a local headfi meet (check out headfi.org for ones in your general area). Also read reviews on headfi and inner fidelity.

5. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

I've owned two pairs of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm headphones. Love them!

Boomy, GordonM and Leo Lyons like this.
  6. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

How much you wanna spend?

7. John22

John22 Forum Resident

8. Leo Lyons

Just want something i can plug straight into my PC or my technics cd player.

9. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Those Beyers will be fine.

10. Fregly

Fregly Well-Known Member

I love the Beyer DT880. Straight up monitor type sound, more or less. And you can get a pair cheap these days. I've had them a while and can't find anything wrong with them at all.

11. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

BeyerDynamic DT770 Pros are my personal favorite headphones (lots of bottom end, which I like). For everyday listening I find the 80 ohm version perfect. For critical listening (checking mastering, etc.,), I use the 250 ohm model, but I find their crispness or brightness fatiguing over time.

12. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

DT-250/80. Neutral, easy to drive. My go to closed cans.

On_the_dunes likes this.
  13. Leo Lyons

In general is open back or closed back best for listening enjoyment?

14. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

I've always used closed back (live events, on-air), so I don't have experience with semi-open or open back. The closed back ones are great for drowning out kids and other family members!

15. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Open is usually more transparent and effortless sounding. Try to hear a pair of Grado headphones if you can. They are very easy to drive with any device and sound wonderful. Even their entry level headphone has very nice sound. The better AKG phones are nice as well.
    -Bill

kanno1ae likes this.
  16. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Funny that we have similar business names.

17. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

"...for listening..." as opposed to what?

18. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I was first. I'll have my attorney contact yours. Kidding. ;)
    -Bill

kanno1ae likes this.
  19. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

I'm guessing he meant "everyday listening." There might be other purposes for buying headphones that might change one's recommendation, such as "best headphones for jogging" or "noise cancelling" or "traveling" or "gaming." I certainly wouldn't recommend the DT 770s for use while working out.

20. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

These look great, but it is really bugging me that they don't seem to have a replaceable cord? Why did you need to replace and how long did they last?

Any other recommendations for something closed back, sounds great, replaceable cord, under $300?
    Thanks all!

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  22. In view of the fact that Halloween is drawing nigh, you may want to consider these for a truly audiophile listening experience. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the model of headphones Our Fearless Leader himself, Steve Hoffman, has used to master many of our favorite recordings.)

[​IMG]

Check 'em out here.

steviebee likes this.
  23. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Only if the girl comes with them.

24. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

I had my first pair for several years. They finally got too beat up from use in radio (on the air) and at DJ gigs. They still worked when I replaced them, but I think I tossed them because it would've cost just as much to buy a new pair as to replace the parts that needed to be fixed. The cord doesn't appear to be replaceable (at least not without taking them apart).

Rockin' Robby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.