Rock bands/artists who went pop

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seed_drill, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Pat Benatar

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Michael Bolton?

squittolo and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. indeed, so much he changed his name

4. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

A lot of prog acts from the '70s. Genesis, Yes, Rush and Pink Floyd to some extent.

I tend to disagree with Aerosmith, at least from Permanent Vacation thru Get a Grip. There were definitely a few moments where they rocked pretty hard like "Young Lust", "Eat the Rich", "Magic Touch" etc.

I'll give you "Pink" and "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" though. They're pretty terrible.

Another one that I definitely would say fit in this category is Def Leppard, starting with Hysteria (though maybe a couple of songs on Pyromania sort of predicted the trajectory).

seed_drill and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Oof. Granted, they did still have hard rock songs (rather they were good is another story), but those songs are dreadful. Not as dreadful as Brandon, but still.

Duke Fame likes this.
  6. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

No one mentioned Steve Miller yet. But he's one of the first I think of when this kind of question (similar to the "sell-out" one) comes up.

Steve Miller. I understand he's gone back to more rock and blues "lately", but he sure went pop a long time ago.

john lennonist and WarEagleRK like this.
  7. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

That song on a kids show... uhhhh :tsk::wtf:

8. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

9. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

KISS had dabbled in pop before and after Unmasked, and occasionally would have a hit pop single. Beth, Hard Luck Woman, I Was Made For Loving You, Forever

10. recordman33

recordman33 Forum Resident

Liz Phair.

bvb1123 and seed_drill like this.
  11. zen

zen Senior Member

John Wetton....Steve Howe....Carl Palmer....Geoff Downes.

and I thank you!

bvb1123 and Scooter59 like this.
  12. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Split Enz
    Eurythmics
    Human League
    Simple Minds

Look up their early stuff.

Say It Right likes this.
  13. Could Paul McCartney fit this description as he worked with Michael Jackson on "Say Say Say"? Nothing against either artist and I love the song but I think this "crossover" would fit the criteria.

14. chodad

chodad Hodad

Rod Stewart

john lennonist likes this.
  15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

The phenomenon I'm talking about really only applies from the late sixties/early 70s onward. Before then there weren't separate rock vs. top 40 stations and everybody wanted a hit single.

16. seed_drill

He was an example in my original post.

chodad likes this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Don't think there's a better example than Lady Gaga. Before she created that character, she was playing jazz standards on piano.

18. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I was thinking america compared to worldwide, rather than the U.K. You hear plenty of Queen in different countries on the radio. Certainly in Australia and in Europe too.

Radio Gaga's a good example. It went to number 1 and number 2 in a lot of countries. You still hear that played often.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    squittolo likes this.
  19. ...and it's a great POP song!

20. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

That it is. I never said it wasn't pop, so I'm not sure why you replied that.

squittolo and Frosst like this.
  21. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Maroon 5 definitely deserve a shot at this title as well. That and the fact that Adam Levine should have went solo in 2007.

Terrapin Station and seed_drill like this.
  22. zen

zen Senior Member

Hetfield and Trujillo shopping at Armani....
    [​IMG] :winkgrin:

23. seed_drill

Honestly, I was appalled when it came out. But I was a young teen and not into pop. I don't know that I've heard it in over 30 years, though I can still recall the melody, which I guess means it's a great pop song.

zphage likes this.
  24. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I get what the OP is going for here but really isn’t (or wasn’t) rock music basically pop music to begin with?

I mean in many of the examples given so far I’d say just keeping current is what lead many of the artists in the direction they landed in. While with others maybe became more interested in simpler song forms (like the prog cats) or maybe they became more adventurous and explored technology which ended up sounding more pop.

I think a better distinction might be to say which artists intentionally compromised their artistic integrity to cash in on a wider audience or coasted on their fame to release lazy records.

In that category I’d nominate Heart. The things they let their label or managers make them do are some of the most embarrassing examples I can think of.

25. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Utopia… from prog to power pop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.