The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

There's a lot of speculation on some of the Who groups I'm in on Facebook (where several people who are well connected are skeptical of this) that it's got me wondering...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

PREORDERED!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

@WhoTapes1

Any thoughts on the legitimacy of this release?

Matthew Tate and WhoTapes1 like this.
  4. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I’m very skeptical that it’s anything other than the regular bootleg release, despite the write up on Amazon. Only time will tell. I sure hope it’s legit, though.

5. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

On a huge legit record label (that The Who are coincidentally signed with)? A bootleg?

6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Just the other day, a batch of previously unseen Linda Eastman Fillmore East " rehearsal" photos in color surfaced. Could be that they will appear in the booklet.

In regards to Boris, that can be fixed if the version from night 1 was recorded and performed well.

7. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !! Thread Starter

Maybe Roger overdubbed a new vocal so he's singing the same lines as John. Hope not I like the ragged version.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

True. But there's a difference between errors and deliberate lies. If the amazon blurb is inaccurate, it's a case of someone who is reasonably knowledgeable about the Who going out of their way to tell deliberate lies, which does seem unlikely to me. We'll see though.

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If the amazon listing is correct, the material is all from the second night. I myself hope that's the case, as I prefer complete shows warts-and-all to live albums where they cherry pick performances from more than one night.

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

^

Songs from the second night have been restored and mixed by Who sound engineer Bob Pridden (who was there in 1968).Remastered for optimum sound quality.

Restored, could mean they resorted to any and all digital tricks.

Remember Hull...

11. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

The youtube clip, probably identical with the bootleg you all talk about clocks under 59 minutes. These must be over 20 more minutes - two more songs is just not enough for that. Amazon lists 2CD.

Matthew Tate and dee like this.
  12. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Whatever. It'll still sound better than the vinyl boot I got in the early 70's.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  13. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm pre ordering now... That live at leeds triple lp was nuts. I want in on the ground floor.

14. whodanny

Re-reading the Amazon listing it says in the product details section : Vinyl , Number of discs :3, Then it says Double CD, Box set. A triple LP might just cover all the tracks. All a bit confusing though.

Tim Bucknall and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Ordered!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

First, let me say that if this is legit, I am really excited despite having the boot. An early live Who show that isn't half Tommy?? YES!!! I am all for official releases of complete Who shows from the '60s and '70s. And not in an expensive box set either!!!

Ok, now that I got out all the positives....

WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THAT FREAKING COVER ART?!?! Seriously??? How hard would it have been to find a live pic of The Who from that era?!?!?!

Let's just hope that's my only complaint.

17. whodanny

Maybe there's some nice pics inside the gatefold. Reb did say in his post that some Linda Eastman shots have recently turned up from the show.

Tim Bucknall and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's not just two more songs. On the bootleg, "Relax" and "My Generation" both fade out early... we do not know how much time was cut off the ends of either of those tracks. Also, the beginning of "A Quick One" is cut... the song begins with the Ivor sequence, which means 2-3 minutes were cut off there. Presumably a lot more banter could be added also.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  19. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I figured there must be, but still, that's some seriously generic bootleg-looking artwork.

20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Incredible. Never thought this would receive an official release. There is still hope for San Francisco 12/71 after all.

21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

You would not need three LPs for this... two should be sufficient, even if we presume that the lengths of the uncut "Relax" and "My Generation" are about double what's on the boot.

22. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Isn't there one of the two songs (I'm a Boy) between Relax and A Quick One? And yes, I suspected that My Generation must be much longer (Leeds style) as it is on a separate disc.

PS Still, it seems to me, it cannot be much over 80 minutes. The first cd shall hardly go over one hour and there is only My Generation on the second one - 15 minutes? 20 mins maximum. Yet the whole album should be over 80mins to justify the second cd.

23. whodanny

Right. My vinyl boot from the 70s is a single LP, the vinyl on the Amazon listing is a double, or perhaps a triple, depending on which parts of the listing are accurate. Similarly I have a single CD of the boot, and the listing says 2CDs. Whichever is correct it almost certainly means there will be more music than featured on the bootleg versions of the show. Erm... I hope.:righton:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

According to current currency converters, the Amazon UK version is about 15 bucks US for the cd.

Tim Bucknall, Matthew Tate and dee like this.
  25. whodanny

Not quite as bad as Hull 'tho. Then again the original Leeds cover was deliberately "dressed down" partly to look a bit like a boot, and partly, I think as a reaction to the , for the time, elaborate Tommy sleeve.

Billy_Sunday and HappyFingers like this.