Two subwoofers wired to hi level taps..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by apesfan, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape" Thread Starter

Fast question. I have two kef sub's with hi level inputs.
    One wired to the hi level outputs the other to the pre amp outs.
    If I wire the second sub to the hi level taps next to the other would that be alright. I know the ohms are so high that the amp won't even "see" the sub's so would it be OK for two sub's wired similar to the way Rel does.
    Also could one sub be daisy chained to the first sub. In other words connect the second sub to the input of the first sub. Not the hi level output since the first sub's electronics, crossover, etc. would be involved.
    Vincent 236mkII and kef r400b's.
    I hope this isn't confusing. Thanks in advance, John M.

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Wire them in parallel. You can use a Y cable and connect both via rca inputs. I'd send one L signal and one R signal and have the subs placed at the feet of the mains for true stereo.
    -Bill

3. apesfan

I know and understand low level rca hookup, weather its home theater or preamp (rca) outputs from a dedicated integrated amp. The reason I question the idea of wiring hi level is simply because I never wired 2 sub's from the integrated amps speaker hi level taps.
    The sound of sub's wired this way in a stereo setup is technically a better sound character, I just want to know if others here have done this Rel type scheme and if I could wire the second sub from the first hi level sub hookup. Thanks anyway, John.

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'd argue that whether it is technically better would be proven only by personal taste after listening. Objectively, I think you'll find the low level connection to be electrically superior. That aside, there is no reason that you could not wire two subs using the speaker level inputs. I still recommend wiring in parallel and also in true stereo. The danger is that you could more easily have a short with all of the high level connections.
    -Bill

5. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Nothing wrong with hi-level connections, a powered sub doesn't present any kind of load on your amp. You can go parallel or wire them in stereo.
    Personally I find hi-level easier and you'll never introduce a ground loop.

6. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

One warning that I recently learned about from a previous thread, care using high level connections to a sub if using class D amplification.

See RELs warning.

7. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

That is class D amplification of your amp/receiver not the sub.

8. apesfan

When I had Rel stadium subs their was many problems with MF kw500 intergrated amp because, quoting both companies,- the amp runs strictly like a dual mono setup class A/B. So use the RCA hookups.
    Fun time that was, sending the amp to North Carolina 3 times. Soon changed to another amp. Take care , John M.

9. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Yep. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Just wanted to bring it up with the growing popularity of class D amps.

John Moschella likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.