Played two classic 80's on Vinyl..Pleasantly surprised.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Depending on what US variant track wise you have, the full length k-mixes for all songs side one runs over 26 minutes.
    It's not the pressing that sucks, it's the way these k-mixes were recorded and crammed on one side.

black sheriff likes this.
  2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Especially arresting if you're used to hearing "Smooth Operator" from the old video on VH1-–so muffled!

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  3. I thought that was a digital nightmare. Haven't played it in years as my ears are still trying to recover.

4. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yikes! :eek:

5. ServingTheMusic

anybody have any Telarc or Red Seal digital recorded classical LPs?

I have several sealed...believe it or not, I never opened them...

6. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

Man, no kidding. Of course we threadjack at our peril here -- Bat out of Hell was a couple years before 1980 as I recall. I got one in shrink and excellent condition for 2 bucks the other day, not long after reading the Meatloaf thread here... your assessment of the sound is sadly correct. I was unpleasantly surprised :( Wish there as some way to save it with a remaster or something...

7. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I’m not here to argue, I’m just curious. How were the pressings cheapened after 87/88?

c-eling likes this.
  8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Another great sounding lp. I got this used recently NM condition, cleaned it thoroughly. Brilliant beautiful sound 1984 all over again.

Into the Gap
    [​IMG]

black sheriff and c-eling like this.
  9. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

For what it's worth the Rio redux was very well done on both CD and vinyl. Worth a look.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  10. c-eling

Agreed Good Trip! I've got the 'angry' one :laugh:
    [​IMG]

11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I find this regularly with 80s albums, to my surprise. Even ones that were digitally recorded (and sometimes pressed DMM) sound terrific to me, and better than their CD counterparts. Maybe it’s my system, which admittedly has more put into vinyl playback.

12. ServingTheMusic

Just about everyone I bought was on razor thin wax, warmed, with IGD righh of the sleeve. It was horrendous.

I had it and converted to CD for 20 years.

13. ServingTheMusic

thanks..will check that out. :o

14. ServingTheMusic

You should hear the Analog Spark SACD. It is like a completely different album. I am not sure if was remixed or a complete EQ overhaul...b
    but the vinyl, cd, and 24/96 download are just unbearable.

15. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I was buying vinyl as equally as CDs up until about 1990-91. Towards the end it was all mostly domestic promo vinyl that was available. My local shop would sell those for about $5. I didn’t have the turntable that I have now but I really don’t ever remember a decline in pressing or packaging quality. Vinyl was pretty much standard weight throughout the entire 80s up into the early 90s. Actually, I still have all of those records and they still sound great today on my VPI.

After ‘91 most of the available new vinyl around here were imports and that was very cost prohibitive for my college student budget. I wouldn’t start buying new vinyl again until after 2000.

What were you listening to?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    c-eling likes this.
  16. c-eling

No issues manufacturing wise either. But did notice for US Atlantic and especially Sire, they sound pretty much identical to the compact discs of simultaneous release. Good or bad.
    Winger, Ratt-Reach For The Sky, Bad Company-Holy Water: Dangerous Age, etc.
    Nice to have, but not sonic marvels.
    If I see late 80's-90's at a thrift for a few bucks I'll grab it. But I don't search out or pay big bucks for em.

17. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Agree, but was your experience anything like Brinkman Ship’s “but around 1987/1988 the quality begins to go into the toilet...they cheapened the pressings ” “razor thin wax, warmed, with IGD righh of the sleeve. It was horrendous.” ?

I can tell you right off the top of my head that my Jane’s Addiction, Skinny Puppy, and Big Audio Dynamite records from that era sound fine.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  18. c-eling

No. The only razor thin's I have are fantastic sounding 12's from the UK
    US singles, I have a couple that are even translucent from 91, sound excellent as well. From a manufacturing aspect I think they may have been better. Smaller runs.
    While my US Yes-Union 91 has a ton of music crammed on each side, no issues with sibilance or IGD.

19. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

The 12”s from the era were fantastic. I worked for a big record store chain in the late 80s, in the video department, and I remember around 1987 the music side of the store put all the 12”s in cardboard boxes, placed them under the bins, and priced them all at .99 cents. What a great day.

c-eling likes this.
  20. ServingTheMusic

Some titles that come to mind are the Pete Townshend LPs from the mid to late 80;s, The Alarm, Lone Justice..the last LP I ever
    bought was U2/ The Joshua Tree and it left a lot to be desired pressing wise...

21. ServingTheMusic

Funny you mention sire..my Echo & The Bunnymen pressings were not impressive...

c-eling likes this.
  22. c-eling

Where I grew up, north of me in Traverse City we had a good used and new shop, but 12's were never abundant (late 80's early 90's). I bet you were in heaven!
    Funny, a couple years ago I found a Nitzer Ebb single of all places in an antique shop, about S^%@ my pants :laugh:

23. c-eling

Not a fan of most 80's Sire. Heresy I know, but I prefer old Mode pre-remaster compact disc.
    Couple Echo's I have weren't that impressive (mastering wise)

24. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I think you may have just had a bad run of luck. ;):)

I have Lone Justice, Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, Alarm, Replacements, Soul Asylum, etc.... from the late 80s. All good records. Usually mastered at Sterling or Masterdisk.

25. ServingTheMusic

That could be. But let's face it..by 90/91, LPs had taken over, and it was clear that the labels could care less about vinyl quality...although
    that does NOT mean there were not some fine pressings from that era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.