Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Lovely Dvorak from Ancerl, a Czech Jew who was sent to Auschwitz and lost his family there. His style is very Czech in the tradition of Tallich. I have one other of the Gold Edition and wish I had purchased more.

[​IMG]

bigstar87 and bluemooze like this.
  2. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Awesome! It looks in nice shape, in spite of that little mishap.

But what's more important is what's inside. Did you enjoy the performance?

julesd68 and crispi like this.
  3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    1988 reissue of a 1984 ASV recording, made in the Church of St. Barnabas, North Finchley. Produced & recorded by Nicolas Parker.

bluemooze, mdekoning and Mowgli like this.
  4. DeepFloyd11

No time for music this evening/ night. My daughter and I filled out and check-listed our applications for Canadian Citizenship. Bureaucratic matters require focus and concentration!
    I can't believe it's finally happening,we are eligible now. So happy and proud to have the chance to call this wonderful country my true new homeland. Canada has been splendid and generous to us, of course in large part thanks to my beloved husband who made this possible by sponsoring me and my daughter. I have felt home since the first night I stepped out the airplane March 21st 2009. The beauty of this province, the warmth of its people - how welcoming everyone has been and given me the chance to work, prosper and become a productive member of a modern, humanistic and progressive society. No one ever discriminated me because I came from Mexico or because I am a middle aged woman.
    I decided to send my application off via courier service Canada Post on Valentine's Day. The Day of Love and Friendship. What better omen can there be? :love:

On the TT...a very appropriate :winkgrin:

[​IMG]

5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

My favorite First on record. No one handles that amazing chromatic rise (Andante lugubre) just before the Allegro Vivo in the final movement like MTT does on this recording. Excellent recording.

bluemooze, julesd68, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  6. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Naive V-4871) 1987 .... recorded 1973 @ Musica Théâtre La Chaux-de-Fonds Switzerland .... thereof String Quartet No.13 In B Flat Major, Op.130 .... no less than sumptuous performances indeed ....

Bubbamike, bigstar87, Mowgli and 3 others like this.
  7. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Here is my copy of Kubelik’s Mahler Symphonies box:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Deutsche Grammophon "Galleria" German Press 419 056-2) 1986 ..... recorded 1975 .... Rafael Kubelik for sure knew how to make the Symphonie Orchester des Bayrischen Rundfunks delve deeply into Dvorak`s music and partially sounding even like a slavonic folk band .... beneath Sejna + Czech Philharmonic Orchestra (Supraphon) the most moving (in both senses of the expression) recording of this Dvorak euvre .... very nice sounding early Deutsche Grammophon "Galleria" edition ....

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  9. crispi

[​IMG]

Brendel plays Schubert // my Philips Holland first press LP next to the CD version from the Philips Analogue mega box

10. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I'm visiting my mother in Manchester at the moment so no chance to play vinyl but excellent chances to acquire! :D

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  11. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I've been finding it difficult to get a recommended vinyl recording of this symphony but this could fit the bill nicely ...

12. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Great news! Canada would do well to accept you! (And the Klemperer/Beethoven 9th is the perfect celebratory album!)

bluemooze, DeepFloyd11 and julesd68 like this.
  13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

That's a very handsome set. I'm sure you will get many hours of enjoyment from it.
    I couldn't help noticing the small split along one edge of the cloth-bound box. I have many such DG/ Archiv/ Telefunken boxes with the same issue -- some far worse. Do you (or does anyone else) know a good method of repairing these?

crispi likes this.
  14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Thomas and DG really knocked this one out of the park. An essential recording, IMHO.
    I have both the CD and the vinyl; the former is fine, but I highly recommend you continue to look for the LP. Comparing the two, the CD is a bit too bright and lean in the bass.

crispi and julesd68 like this.
  15. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Ah that's excellent to know, thank you, I will get a copy for sure.

Am I right in thinking that Thomas didn't record a 'Little Russian'?

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

One of the better complete sets in my opinion. Took me a while to find a copy, finally got the first CD reissue for a nice price a few years ago.

SteelyTom likes this.
  17. crispi

I don’t know if there is a cure other than trying to find an cloth-based adhesive tape with a similar colour and texture and repair that bit by sticking it on top. Still, you will always see the repair. Another thing I thought about is sewing, but I don’t know much about that, and I don’t know if there’s a method that will stay invisible.

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A beautiful set. An exciting time, the Fin de Siècle, with the Wiener Secession and all that happening.

crispi likes this.
  19. DeepFloyd11

Thank you! :bdance:

20. DeepFloyd11

21. DeepFloyd11

22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the second Vivarte box.

[​IMG]

Mowgli, bluemooze, mdekoning and 3 others like this.
  23. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

With Isabelle Faust and Paul Mayer.
    [​IMG]

SteelyTom, bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
  24. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the third Living Stereo box. Anna-Marie Globenski-Piano.

[​IMG]

1 Variations Sur Un Thème de Corelli Composed By – Kreisler*, Tartini* 3:11
    2 Polonaise Brillante Composed By – Wieniawski* 5:17
    3 Romance En Fa Majeur Composed By – Beethoven* 8:07
    4 Caprice Nº 20 Composed By – Paganini* 3:25
    5 Caprice Viennois Composed By – Kreisler* 3:35
    6 Danses Roumaines Composed By – Bartok* 5:22
    7 La Fille Aux Cheveux De Lin Composed By – Debussy* 2:05
    8 Tzigane Composed By – Ravel* 9:25

25. Mozart 225 The New Complete Edition: disc #46. Yet more solo piano music from some of my favourite Mozart pianists.

[​IMG]
    Piano Sonata in C minor K457

[​IMG]
    Rondo in A minor K511

[​IMG]
    Adagio in B minor K540

[​IMG]
    Piano Sonata in D major K576

[​IMG]
    Sonata in C major for piano duet K521

DeepFloyd11, Wes H, bigstar87 and 4 others like this.