Why did the Magical Mystery Tour album become canon and Hey Jude didn't?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pizza, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

So many times when looking at group photos of the lads there is a real feeling of remorse for their inability to stick it out.
    :sigh:
    All things must pass

2. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Exactly, I even have a 1992 booklet catalog with all the Beatles CDs in order of release, and MMT goes after WA and YS.

You can always look for the CD EP box, where you'll find a nice replica of the original EP (booklet included) in mono and stereo. And it sounds great too! I love this collection. My first contact with the Beatles' music was thanks to my father's old EPs, a very popular format over here in the 60s.

[​IMG]

Paperback Writer and Rain would still feel out of place.

MMT makes sense as an album: its base is a Beatles project, the MMT movie. And it is rounded up with songs from the same period, so it makes sense stylistically and chronologically. In that way, it's very similar to the UK albums for AHDN and Help!

Hey Jude is just an odd compilation of loose ends. Nice cover though.

3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Yes...I am off in my life memories...see my post above.

:tiphat:

Rfreeman likes this.
  4. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Some posters have mentioned "two tracks on HJ already appearing on an album". Remember that I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER and CAN'T BUY ME LOVE had not been on a CAPITOL album. United Artists was *not* an EMI subsidiary until they were bought up in the late 70's, so their appearance on the A HARD DAYS NIGHT soundtrack would have meant nothing to Capitol, so the two cuts were indeed making their first *Capitol* LP appearance.

Now as to why THERE'S A PLACE and MISERY didn't get the same treatment? Maybe even Klein's compilation henchmen realized that the difference between '63 Beatles and '69 Beatles was just too much.

MarkTheShark and Hardy Melville like this.
  5. JackS

JackS Then Play On

6. JackS

JackS Then Play On

Got this one in stereo

7. Remember that one, from Canada, released in November 1969? I first saw it in the cut-out bins sometime in 1970 and it got me really worried that 1) Paul perhaps was dead, and/or that 2) the Beatles were indeed finished!! Then I began seeing Paul's solo albums and heard him singing again on the radio so I forgot about the whole thing... Lol!

[​IMG]

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

So do I. I used to have the mono A Collection of Beatles Oldies too but although I preferred the mono mixes the sound was abysmal, very dull. Even though the stereo has inferior mixes for the most part and She Loves You is fake stereo, it is a much more pleasant and exciting listen.

phillyal1 likes this.
  9. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Your memory is not at it's best today! The Early Beatles is not Meet The Beatles repackaged, in fact they share no songs.

stevenson66g, 905, supermd and 4 others like this.
  10. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

As already mentioned, Hey Jude as released is about 31 minutes long. Adding the three and a half or so minutes that are "There's A Place" and "Misery" certainly wouldn't have stretched the ol' vinyl grooves to the limit..."I'm Down" might as well have been added as well, why not?

McLover and Chip TRG like this.
  11. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

And I'm Down? Why didn't they include that?

905, Chip TRG and somnar like this.
  12. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Agreed! This album is the forgotten UK album that truly *was* canon, even though it's a compilation.

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm confused why the word 'canon' has been adopted by The Beatles fans to discuss their back catalogue. Is it the 'sacred' aspect of the word canon - as in 'a collection of sacred books'? Or is it the usage that describes 'a law', 'principle' or 'rule'? Seems to me that items on the Beatles catalogue can be neither of those things, but must we assume that fans think their work is in the same category as 'sacred texts'?

Comet01 likes this.
  14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Because ALLEN KLEIN........ that's why!

willy likes this.
  15. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Nice cover, but frankly, that's a picture of the oldest bunch of twenty-somethings you'll ever see.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  16. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

A better definition in this context, from Definition of CANON :

"CANON": a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works.

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

A great cover for a nonessential set, and ten steps above the atrocious cover for the other non-essential set released during their existence, “A Collection of Beatles Oldies.” That one was a precursor to the K-Tel and Ronco collections of the 70’s.

MMT was canon in the US, where it was viewed as the follow up to Pepper, no questions asked. It became accepted worldwide because it works thematically and stylistically and, most importantly, it’s a great album. It may not “rock” (at all), but song-for-song, it’s probably stronger than Pepper.

18. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Here's one poster who thinks that Oldies cover is dreck. I've mentioned before on other Beatles threads how impressive it is that they took nary a creative misstep in their entire career. That includes their album covers, which are mostly cutting edge for their period and timeless... Classy and profoundly tasteful.

That Oldies cover looks like a (talented) high school art student's first attempt. The drawing is awkward, and even the generic, off-sized typography screams amateur hour. Hard to believe it was sanctioned Beatles artwork. Has always looked to me like a cheap bootleg.

19. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Well for this Beatles fan they sort of are. I care more about their albums than I do about 'sacred texts', although the more correct definition of canon is below:

mr.datsun likes this.
  20. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Haha, now this one tops the bucher sleeve in bizarre fab four albums covers. By the way, if I remember well, the whole "Paul is dead" hysteria didn't start right after the release of Sgt. Pepper's, but was instigated by a radio program broadcasted in october 1969. This sleeve certainly seems inspired by it. And then calling the album "Very Together" is quite a cynical dig, lolz.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    ParloFax likes this.
  21. Yes I have always wondered what came first, that Polydor album from November '69 (even if it was a non-US thing) or that Paul-is-dead rumour from the radio DJ...

RudolphS likes this.
  22. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I think Hey Jude is a marvelous album that flows exceptionally well considering the wide chronological range of the material. Not only did it collect 10 great orphan single tracks (on Capitol/Apple in the US, that is) that many of us missed out on and were no longer available at the time, but for a very long time, it was the only album that contained early, transitional, and late Beatles, and its chronological sequencing is a small encapsulation of their evolution over a 6-year period. It also has better cover art than some of their official albums.

ohnothimagen and 905 like this.
  23. timind

timind phorum rezident

Magical Mystery Tour holds a special place in my heart as it was the first album I bought with my own money back when I was 13 back in 1967. A friend had Sgt Pepper so I opted to get MMT. A couple years later I remember buying Hey Jude and being very disappointed with it. I was of course expecting another creative masterpiece along the lines of Abbey Road. I did love the cover art though.

What a different perspective for those who heard these albums for the first time 20 or 30 years after their release. It's nice to have historical context I guess. But I mainly see them through the eyes of a young teen hearing them in real time with the context of the late 60s.

lemonade kid likes this.
  24. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

That is so bizarre! 1969? I've never seen this...BUT IF WE WERE BEING TECHNICAL, THAT SNUFFED OUT CANDLE IS IN GEORGE'S SPOT ONSTAGE.
    WHOOPS!

:shh:

ParloFax likes this.
  25. The Beatles - Very Together