The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I used to have a boot of the Who Fillmore East 1968. Sounds was rough, performance great. This is a definite purchase for me.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

This is FANTASTIC news, one of my dream releases!

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here's the info text from an audience recording of either the 5th or the 6th - or combination thereof

01. Substitute (2'09)
    02. Pictures Of Lily (2'37)
    03. Relax (10'53)
    04. I'm A Boy (3'30)
    05. C'mon Everybody (2'59)
    06. A Quick One While He's Away (11'19)
    07. My Way (2'18)

time : 35'45

Audience recording, hissy but pretty good though, for the age.
    Relax is the same as the famous SBD version (but complete here), while some others tracks are different. I don't know which recording is made from the 2 nights at this venue, maybe both !

Enjoy !

Could you post a link to these photos please, I'd love to see them

dee, DrBeatle and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

4. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

all of the equipment you mentioned was to enable Pete and John to compete with Keith, not the other way around.

entropyfan, keifspoon and DrBeatle like this.
  5. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Well, I'd say the major culprit used be Astley who in an interview once even stated he regarded himself as being entitled to "improve" tracks by editing out pieces (plus no-noising them ad nauseam)! No kidding! Seems he really thought he was some kind of part of the creative process (a la "fifth Who member") and was obviously given free reign to do the damage he had done to the archival releases he worked on. Grrrr!
    To be fair he seems to have learned a few respective lessons since the late 90s/early 2000s.
    Just an average Who collector's two Eurocents, of course.
    Who ahoy! Th:)mas

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Amen, though I would say that it actually is threadcrapping since he objects to the whole premise of this release on misguided principle--he literally has nothing constructive to add. He makes these exact same types of complaints on Doors threads, Zeppelin threads and who knows who else. He knows fully well the kind of reaction he's going to get but then he moans about being unfairly persecuted when people push back. Some of us fans are very excited by the prospect of archival live recordings from our old favorites that have never received official release before--particularly one like this from a period of the band's history that hasn't gotten much exposure in the past, including some rare treasures--but he feels compelled to act like the perpetual wet blanket. Very tiresome.

7. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

The entire Monterey show was released on the Monterey box set 20 years ago...

WhoTapes1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

True, but Monterey is not a standalone WHO release, many fans will not have shelled out for the Monterey box..

keifspoon, Matthew Tate and DrBeatle like this.
  9. DrBeatle

Fair enough.

dee and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

Great to see this coming out....preordered the CD today. Might check out the vinyl later if it sounds great

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

The cover pic on Amazon is a bit rubbish though....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. DrBeatle

Still not on Amazon US...? (I can't find it)

Bruce and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

So what do we think are the chances that this might include "Substitute" and "Pictures of Lily"? I know that they weren't initially included on Amazon, but a guy can dream, can't he?

J_D__, Matthew Tate and ODShowtime like this.
  14. I was dreaming the same thing...

ODShowtime likes this.
  15. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

You're right. What a legend!

16. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

I’m in! Pre ordered the vinyl edition. This sounds promising!

dee likes this.
  17. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I had a feeling people were going to bring that up, because people here don't miss anything! I should of said the first non-festival abbreviated set. Sorry, I got lazy like Pete. :oops:

18. DrBeatle

No worries :cool:;)

keifspoon likes this.
  19. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I can't believe it's been 20 years already since the Monterey box was released! Hopefully this will sound better. On a side note, I was born the day they played. As Pete would say, "we're all getting on." :eek:

DrBeatle likes this.
  20. E-Rock

E-Rock I Got a Rock

Strat - yes. Sunn - no. Per Whotabs, Pete used his Sound City rig for these shows:

Sound City as Hiwatt | Pete Townshend’s Guitar Gear | Whotabs

"Pete’s first use of Sound City in the U.S. was the first North American tour, February–April 1968, including the Grande Ballroom, Detroit, 9 March, the Opera House, Peoria, Illinois, 10 March, and the Fillmore East, New York, 4 April. He switched back to Sunn for the second 1968 North American tour, beginning with the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles on 28 June."

entropyfan likes this.
  21. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Another interesting Moon era item has just appeared on the bootleg market - Largo ‘73 Definitive Version - on the same Wardour label that brought us the remastered Philadelphia ‘73 Definitive Version, which was a nice upgrade in sound quality. Hopefully this will sound much better too!

22. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

I see mics on the bass drums, and one pointed under the snare, but none on the toms, which is my main gripe with the boot. It sounds like Keith suddenly disappears during some fills.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Not necessarily. The instruments do need to be miked for the house mix. That's why not all straight board recordings are balanced. If a guitar player is really loud on stage he will be down in the house mix. The whole kit should be miked but it could also be the limitations of the board being used.

Billy_Sunday and RubenH like this.
  24. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

It will almost for sure sound like the boot. After all, they are still using the original 50 year old tapes.

Billy_Sunday and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Same recording, but different mix. And not from acetate.