It Might Get Loud - Name a substitute for The Edge

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick_sh, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Brian Setzer

2. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Obviously the 3 participants were happy with each other, or they wouldn't have done it.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  3. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

And if Jimmy Page had behaved recently like he did back then he'd be in jail for the rest of his days. :tiphat:

blaken123 likes this.
  4. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Clapton and Beck. Jack White attends Yardbird U.

5. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

I mean the Edge is awesome but Van Halen was the guitarist of the 80s (followed maybe by Slash)...

I like the Edge more than those 2....but those 2 were the most copied (especially VH—heck Marty McFly copied Van Halen)

blaken123, YardByrd and Juan Matus like this.
  6. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

This one is tough for the reason that U2 was not Hair Metal, which dominated the 1980's. Not many popular guitarists of the decade who were NOT influenced by Jimmy Page.

mick_sh likes this.
  7. pez

pez Forum Resident

Tom morello

8. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Johnny Marr for the 80s

and for the 90s/newer generations, I would've put in someone really underrated and great like Graham Coxon over Jack White.

9. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Or his protege Keith Urban.

Vince Gill would have been an interesting choice.

10. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

Mark Knopfler

pez, Fender Relic and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  11. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Replace Edge with anyone. Nearly never watched because of his participation. Slash or EVH.

mick_sh likes this.
  12. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I just couldn't stand going to his studio and witnessing his large arsenal of guitar efx equipment. I swear it seemed like his onstage gear would barely fit a two car garage. That's all I've ever associated his guitar approach to, all effects, no soul.

ohnothimagen and KAJ1971 like this.
  13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I disagree. I think he manages to coax a lot of soul out of that gear. Just because his approach is technology driven doesn't mean it necessarily lacks soul. He crafts tone and sounds. It's a unique skill and it fits U2's music well.

14. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The Edge did precisely what Jimmy Page did with his layers of overdubs and the conception of the "guitar army." He just did it with different influences, and different devices. He had a textural approach, which is exactly the route Jimmy always took in the studio.

Where they differ most is that in concert, Page kept the tricks and effects to a minimum (the violin bow and theremin were always showbiz). Jimmy made no attempt to recreate his studio sound. Edge, on the other hand, succeeded in making the same sounds onstage that he made in the studio.

What I don't understand is why so many people who idolize Page dislike The Edge/U2 so much. I think it's Bono's fault for stepping outside the realm of entertainment and being an activist.

petem1966 and dkmonroe like this.
  15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't think people grasp as readily as you have the relationship between Page's studio craft and The Edge's. They just think of classic Page as having been this virtuoso blizzard-'o-notes player and The Edge's modest guitar breaks don't seem as ambitious. If you don't bring a blazing solo, you're the lesser guitarist in a lot of people's minds.

petem1966 and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Yep! And if there's a stronger word for hate, you can apply it to my feelings regarding Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead.

You selectively missed the part where I said this movie gave me a new appreciation for U2. I'll even go as far as saying that the Howard Stern interview made me appreciate them as people.

17. Speaking of which: I love the scene where Page launches into the "Whole Lotta Love" riff, and Edge and White just lapse into smitten fanboy mode.

wavethatflag likes this.
  18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Brad Gillis, Night Ranger. Yes!

Steve Lukather wasn't seriously considered? No way, that's impossible!

Hey, how about whoever played guitar in Toto? Wait a minute...

Why aren't there five posts naming Roy Buchanan already? Another choice that makes so much sense.

Edge was there, in large part, to provide a non-blues based counterpoint to Page and White. You guys obviously didn't read the Cliff Notes. Close thread.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  19. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Nick Drake!

Joey Santiago...

wavethatflag likes this.
  20. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with the Edge. And I'm not a fan.

And if there was no Jack White, no one under 50 would have gone to see it. I don't like him, but the narrative has caught on that he's my generation's guitar hero. Oh well.

21. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

I enjoyed the programme, for the most part. Personally, I wouldn't swap anyone. All the guitarists were very well known for their respective times and each has their own distinctive sound/ style. Comparing those sounds and styles was a major part of the success of the programme.

BillyMacQ likes this.
  22. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I think a ouija board scene would have made a great opening sequence.

ToneLa likes this.
  23. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Remember...at the end of the day, this is a movie with investors involved who hope to see a return on their investment. Robert Fripp (although awesome) isn't putting any 'as$es in seats'. There's certainly a method to the madness when choosing these three.

Jack White owns the younger demographic and has written the modern day "Smoke on the Water'. When you go to take guitar lessons as a kid now, the first riff you're taught is 'Seven Nation Army'.

24. Forklifter

Forklifter Forum Resident

And sometimes I just like to hear somebody play without any pedal assistance.

25. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Heh, ain't nothin' like the real thing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.