New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I would be surprised if Lorca doesn't return. Good character, great actor playing him

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It was explicitly stated that Discovery was heading to Vulcan to pick up their new captain.
    At what point is it okay to drop the spoiler tags? :)

3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I haven't watched Discovery yet, so do me a favor and keep the spoiler tags for a bit. I plan on watching in a few weeks, when I get caught up a bit at work and on chores...

And get over this bloody flu!

Encuentro likes this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Read at your own risk. First season is done. No need to use spoiler tags

5. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

Ahh, you're correct. Sarek mentions it in the Paris scene.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Encuentro likes this.
  6. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

"I got three series into Voyager and one into Enterprise before I bailed. One into this."
    I presume there will be more of which I will have watched one.
    I watched the whole thing.
    One episode twice because I fell asleep.

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

We are now three days after the episode "dropped". Anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled has a simple task - stay out of the thread until you're caught up. IMHO

DreadPikathulhu and Encuentro like this.
  8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I liked everything about the finale except the resolution of the war. It was a ridiculously simplistic solution, and there's no way the 24 Klingons houses would have embraced the female Klingon and rallied behind her plan. Someone would have challenged her immediately. Meanwhile, the fighting would have continued with the various houses doing what they wanted.

9. I'm curious how they'll resolve the use (continuity) of the DASH drive when they meet up with Pike/The Enterprise.

10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I’m guessing that they’re going to drop it altogether.

Shawn likes this.
  11. Well since it is only one season so far it sounded like you were discussing episodes. It’s too bad about Enterprise as seasons three and four is where they series found it’s footing.

Meng likes this.
  12. They already discussed how it would be unethical going forward as they would need a navigator and given what happened to Stanz, it was even unlikely they would use it again. They also mentioned how useage by certain folks would put the entire cosmos in jeopardy. It sois need like it was done here and because they won the war with it AND the info on the alternate universe is classified, they will give up on it except for occasional use.

Encuentro likes this.
  13. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

When Manny (Odyssey 5) Coto came on board as showrunner.

14. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

i'm fine using them, it's easy and with a series like this with so many great plot twists and surprises, it just seems appropriate.

I just think it's funny when someone will quote something from inside of a spoiler warning and respond to it out in the open.

15. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yeah, I guess. I’m generally not a fan of using spoiler tags to begin with, but I try to go with the flow. In my opinion, if someone hasn’t seen the show, they shouldn’t read a discussion about said show. It just seems ironic that a subject can’t be openly discussed in a discussion forum. If I haven’t seen a show or a film that I intend to see, I don’t enter the thread. However, I will use them going forward until others deem it appropriate to stop using them. I’m not looking to rock the boat.

Edit: I agree with @HGN2001, three days should be enough. That’s usually when spoiler-free reviews are posted for major films.

Shawn, DreadPikathulhu and budwhite like this.
  16. Dr. Pepper

I guess to me the fact that it's on CBS All Access and not network television makes me want to use spoiler alert because some folks are still on the fence as to whether to get it or not.

How about if we wait until Sunday? That will give folks a week.

sunspot42 and Encuentro like this.
  17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Sounds good to me.

18. Indeed and I have a theory that he used the basis for Odyssey 5 for the final season of Enterprise (for those interested Odyssey Five was about a shuttle mission that witnessed the destruction of the Earth) retooled for Enterprise. Coto is a talented writer who I wish would get a second chance for odyssey five on Netflix, Hulu

Meng likes this.
  19. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

When did it become our responsibility to walk on eggshells because people don't watch a TV show in a timely manner? It would be ridiculous to hold off discussing a new album in the music forum until everyone has had a chance to listen to it, yet that is expected in movie/TV discusisons.

The episode has been out for almost a week. Either watch it or don't, but don't make it other people's responsibility to wait for you to make a decision to do so to openly talk about the episode. Avoiding spoilers is as easy as not clicking on the thread title until you've seen the show.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  20. KAJ1971

It did, did it?
    Not too bad, considering it's still out there should I ever run out of things I actually liked watching, to watch.
    If you have to spend two years watching something before it finds it's footing, it's probably not any good.
    Never got very far into 'Odyssey 5', later series of Dexter or more than one series of '24' either.

21. Dr. Pepper

I so love the portrayal of Pike in The Cage that I'm somewhat reticent of another actor playing the character. His self doubt and trepidation is an endearing quality that is easy to empathize with.

My favorite scene from The Cage

MaestroDavros, jriems and wayne66 like this.
  22. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

All the recent Treks have taken a couple of seasons to really get going - apart from Discovery.

Are you saying TNG and DS9 weren't worth staying with?

Encuentro likes this.
  23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I have to say...I thought this was the best Trek show EVER!

The other shows just look really tame and safe after this. I hope they take even more risks and upset even more stick in the muds next season.

Well done!

24. KAJ1971

I don't think TNG stands up that well anymore. Some decent episodes but far too much crap. Far too much Counsellor Troi and her mother nonsense. If you take out the Borg you haven't got a lot left. Deep Space Babylon 9 was good from the start. I rewatched the whole of DS9 a year or three ago and it's undoubtedly the best one, except the original and that had it's fair share of 'Spock's Brain' guff. Don't get why they had to put in the 'past'. Discovery should have been a post TNG era show. I guess people like filling bits of pointless 'plot holes' that the writers of the past weren't concerned about. It's all people who grew up on it writing it like fan fiction. Anyway, time to beam out of this one before I get stuck in some time loop.

25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah there was a lot of treading water with that show. I find it far too pedestrian to watch mostly. My Bette noir's were the 'Troi has a headache' ones (as well as the mother ones).

KAJ1971 likes this.