Rega Planar 2 or 3 for a newbie

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by José Vasco, Feb 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. José Vasco

José Vasco Member Thread Starter

Hello,
    First of all, I am new to vinyl, so take care,
    I know the Planar 3 is the best turntable, but for a beginner what would you advice, start with a Planar 2 or the 3? I have been listening cd´s for ever,I have a Rega Saturn R so I have litlle experience with vinyl.What I know is that listening vinyl is quite diferente...The amplifier is a Rega Elex R.

2. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

If you have the Elex-R you definitely need the Planar 3 (latest model), which in the UK comes bundled with the Elys 2 cartridge. Personally I think this combo sounds great and quite revealing even without the additional power supply, which you can add later if you think you need it. Or the Planar 3 with Exact which is not too good for your amp. Speakers?

Then you need to go and buy some LPs (good luck...)

3. José Vasco

Sorry, is not the Elicit r but the Elex r.
    The speakers are Epos m12

4. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

The 3 has a much better tonearm and cartridge. Well worth the extra money.

5. José Vasco

Here in Spain the Planar 2 with Rega Carbon costs 689€ and the Planar 3 without cartridge 689€.

6. José Vasco

Sorry, the Planar 2 costs 489€

7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I have never had any of these tables but these are my feelings:

The main reasons to buy 2 instead of 3:

- if it fits your system better or if the benefits of the 3 are not worth the money. I've been told that Planar 3 depends on a good shelf to sound the way it's supposed to for example but I've never been told that the difference in price is not worth it. But I'll leave this for those who actually know these tables and your gear;

- if you can't spend enough for a 3, but then you wouldn't even ask, so not a reason at all;

- if you are afraid of spending too much and end up not liking vinyl.

In my opinion vinyl requires dedication, time and relatively more money. Maybe it requires love. It's a demanding hobbie if you want to do it the right way.

If you think there are good chances that you will give up on vinyl, makes sense not to buy the more expensive table. In the case you like playing these records you can always upgrade in the future if you feel the need. You can spend the difference in records.

If you are somehow pretty sure or at least very confident that vinyl is what you really want and that you're gonna love it, then I believe it would make more sense to buy the best table, in the case the Planar 3, except if there's something with your system (reason 1 above).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    timnor likes this.
  8. chrism1971

But you're more likely to like vinyl if you get a 3!
    Anyway, the OP has told us his system and the Elex-R clearly demands at least a 3, if not a 6 (not an option).

jerico and punkmusick like this.
  9. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Are we talking new or used here......it makes a difference to the options?

10. punkmusick

When I was in search for a new table last month I didn't even consider 2 just because 3 was available. But I understand the concept of "entry" level as something for newbies that may not want to spend too much in something they don't know enough.

Once you enter and it works though.... :pineapple:

11. José Vasco

It is my main concern, I don´t want to spend more money next years on recordings.The cd´s are much cheaper here, I guess I just want a turntable for occasional listening. The P 3 needs more care, you have to buy a good cartridge and so on!

12. chrism1971

Jose, I'm unclear as to which era of Rega t/ts we're talking about.
    If it's older secondhand ones, try and ignore the older 2s and 3s and find a P3-24 or an RP3 as either one is better than the earlier ones and can be upgraded with a TTPSU.
    If it's the new ones, the 3 comes with Elys 2 as an affordable package which won't disappoint.
    Then get on a plane to the UK and go to a few record fairs..... :)

myles likes this.
  13. punkmusick

Then I guess both will serve you well. Rega has a solid reputation. Buy the cheapest.

Actually if you just stay away from Wal-Mart Crosley-like turntables that will likely damage your records it's a good beginning.

14. José Vasco

I´m talking about the actual Rega turntables, but my friends have told me that Rega Planar 2 from 80/90´s were the best, with Rega RB 250 tornarm.

15. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I own a Planar 3 but if i was to do a blind listening test with a P2 i doubt if i would hear much difference.

H8SLKC and punkmusick like this.
  16. José Vasco

But have you had the chance to hear both?

17. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Go for the 3.You won't be thinking about the extra cost when you're enjoying your music.

KT88 likes this.
  18. Cuki

Cuki Member

Even if you cannot afford it, still get the 3. Rob a bank, whatever, but get the 3 over the 2.

H8SLKC likes this.
  19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Get new friends. ;)
    -Bill

Art K, luckyno13 and punkmusick like this.
  20. José Vasco

He,he,he:)

21. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I heard both the old P2 and the P3-24 when I was turntable shopping years ago. There is definitely a difference.

22. punkmusick

Best answer so far

23. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

If you can afford the 3 than that's what I'd go for as it will hold you longer until and upgrade than the 2. Also, IMHO, incrementally, the 3 is a better value than the 2 given the price difference. I hope you enjoy which you decide to go for!

24. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Your amp and speakers are going to be very revealing of the Planar 2s shortcomings.

25. José Vasco

Really?I don´t know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.