The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

The 1978 Egypt release including the Bonus Disc is filled with flubs and missed lyrics YET it contains some of the greatest music ever played by the GOGD buried within and is therefore hereby designated as the MOST underrated of all Grateful Dead official releases.

Thank You.

Matthew Tate, adamos, trd and 7 others like this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

He mixed up the date, but the "hippie training" speech is on the audience tape from 12/19/73.

3. rainbow dome

rainbow dome Forum Resident

4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

True, although I think he would care a lot less now that so many unedited complete shows have been officially released. But who knows? And I think it is unlikely that anything officially released will be revisited, anyhow, and it probably shouldn't be a priority (and it's all out there anyway).

budwhite likes this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Nope, I was back east taking college finals. Big reason for my qualifier - out of those I saw. That '92 December run is certainly up there with the best of the year.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

D'oh! I mean 12/19/73, but that's DP 1, not 19. This syndrome is as contagious as this year's flu bug.

NorCal, bzfgt, Archtop and 4 others like this.
  7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

That's the raw from "Grateful Dawg." Look at the 24 minute mark and you'll recognize what made the cut. Very cool!

NorCal, Jman92, Spadeygrove and 3 others like this.
  8. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

I'm partial to that particular version of "Deal" it's probably the organ and the harmonies. Of course, that guitar player isn't bad either. He might make a name for himself.. :D

trd likes this.
  9. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Currently Playing Dave's 21. 4-2-73. I am new to 73.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    dtuck90, NorCal, Matthew Tate and 7 others like this.
  10. nfmboss666

I am on the hunt for this!

11. Dahabenzapple

The 2 CD release with the DVD extra with concert footage is easily available for $25 or $30 for hopefully a decent copy. A copy of the bonus disc was gifted to me by a very nice person who has been known to love 1978 Grateful Dead. An actual bonus disc will be at least $40-$50.

NorCal, ianuaditis, adamos and 4 others like this.
  12. Dahabenzapple

It’s 4-2-73 and get ready for the great second half of the second set. The Playing in The Band to end Set 1 is an all- time version.

13. nfmboss666

Yes. I may settle for the standard 2 CD w/DVD but keeping my fingers crossed that one with the BD will pop up.

Whoops! sorry. Edited my post. Can't wait to hear the PITB

Matthew Tate, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  14. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

My post was an admitted poor attempt to satirize this thread:
    Best sounding Grateful Dead CD with HDCD encoding?

bzfgt, budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  15. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Matthew Tate, ianuaditis, JRM and 2 others like this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, I initially passed on Egypt '78 when it was released -- I did not become fully immersed in the band's music until a few years later, so I missed out on this bonus disc, which is very aggravating because I am one of those fans who dig Egypt '78.

17. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Just makin' sure!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  18. nfmboss666

Wow this is a really cool show! The Playin', Eyes, & China Doll are mind blowing.

19. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

They deserve more exposure/recognition is my point. :)

US Blues, Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

They were pretty well regarded at the time both in terms of word of mouth and soundboard tapes surfacing and spreading rapidly. I was certainly kicking myself for selling my tickets and not making the trip down there after Nassau. (Car and wallet both having problems at the time). I listened to the second set of 4/1/91 a ton back in the day. And of course the Samson and Eyes from 3/31/91 were released on Dick's Picks 18.

I saw the Greensboro shows in '89, though. Despite the heavy handed police presence ("test me test me, why don't you arrest me" got a big crowd roar), it was a fun place to see them, and a bit smaller venue than the norm at that time. The second '89 show with the Hey Pocky Way that ended up on the box set was the better of the two, but they were both good shows with a very high energy crowd.

21. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

For some reason "double mctwist when you hit the air" keeps running through my brain.

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Listening to another show that is new to me, thanks to Random Show on Relisten (which I've been using a lot at work, since my iPod is out of commission): 5/12/81 New Haven (Veteran's Memorial Coliseum, where I saw a bunch of shows a few years after this, although never the GOGD there). Hot China Cat->Rider to end the first set, a nice Shakedown to start the second, and He's Gone is dedicated to Bob Marley who had passed away the previous day and followed by a nice long jam that goes some interesting places.

23. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Happy Merl Saunders Day everyone! Born on this day in 1934 in San Mateo, California.

After Garcia fell into a diabetic coma in 1986 and lost some of his basic motor skills, Mr. Saunders spent hours daily with the stricken guitarist running scales, working him out on jazz standards such as "My Funny Valentine.” [dead.net]

[​IMG]

24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

These shows were on the second leg of an east coast saturated spring tour. We headed to Landover for the Cap run, back up for the Knick run and then down to Nassau before dropping off. Boy was I sorry to have missed that 2nd leg, post Nassau... Made up for it by catching the entire summer run :)

25. trd

trd Forum Resident

One more conference call and then it’s time for 2/14/68