Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Here is a 1969 ad for these albums from DG‘s catalogue. It would take two more years for the cycle to be complete and the 14-LP box to appear.

[​IMG]

DeepFloyd11, bluemooze, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  2. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

“Tape from the inside”—if you can. The seam split on mine is only on the outside, but the inside is fine. So a bit more complicated.

3. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Cos Liverpool are winning.
    [​IMG]

4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Julien Bouclier and Dimitri Bouclier - Révélation

Music for violin and accordion.

Tomaso Vitali arr. Léopold Charlier / Chaconne en sol mineur
    Astor Piazzolla / Violentango, Ave Maria, Meditango
    Vladislav Zolotarev / Rondo Capriccioso
    Victor Vlasov / Goulag pour accordéon solo
    Sergueï Voïtenko / Révélation
    Anton Chalaïev / Hiver

Spotify: Révélation

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  5. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 5. Symphonies 9, 10 & 11.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, royzak2000 and Soulpope like this.
  6. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Beautiful. Thanks for postimg this.

crispi likes this.
  8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

9. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Two of the greatest basses of the last century today.

This Ward Marston transfer is very, very good. I compared it to the Nimbus release which was typical Nimbus in that it was recorded through a horn and the Marston sounded the most natural.

[​IMG]

Then another great Baritone, the father of Igor Kipnis, Alexander Kipnis, a generation younger and also a wonderful voice.

[​IMG]

crispi and Soulpope like this.
  10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to "Orlande De Lassus - Motets & Magnificat" performed by Pomerium on Old Hall.

[​IMG]

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The same here. I already have too many Mahler recordings for someone who really is not a fan ...

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

He did, but given that you're not a Mahler fan I'd suggest to listen to it first if you get the chance, before buying it.

13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

On the TT: J.S. Bach -- 3 Concerti.
    -Concerto For Flute, Violin, Harpsichord, Strings And Basso Continuo In A Minor, BWV 1044 "Triple Concerto"
    -Concerto For Oboe, Violin, Strings And Basso Continuo In C Minor (Reconstructed After The Concerto For 2 Harpsichords, BWV 1060)
    -Concerto For Oboe D'amore, Strings And Basso Continuo In A Major (Reconstructed After The Concerto For Harpsichord, BWV 1055)

The English Concert and soloists. Trevor Pinnock conducting. Recorded at Henry Wood Hall, London, 1984. Made in Germany.
    I believe the LP and CD versions were released simultaneously.

[​IMG]

Worker, ShallowMemory, crispi and 5 others like this.
  14. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Thank you so much!! The package with all the documents is on its way to Nova Scotia where the processing center is. Happy Valentine's to you as well!

mdekoning likes this.
  15. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

On the TT...:tiphat:

[​IMG]

mdekoning, julesd68, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  16. BlueNoteFan

BlueNoteFan Forum Resident

I really like the art work for this cycle; thanks for sharing this! I just recently obtained Kubelik's DG cycle. I got the circa 2000 CD box set release. I've long been familiar with the recording of the 1st but had never heard any of the others. I decided to take a chance on the complete cycle since I thought so highly of that recording. Some complain about Kubelik's generally swift tempi and light touch, but I thoroughly enjoy his way with the Mahler cannon.

crispi and Wes H like this.
  17. BlueNoteFan

Yes, Kubelik's 3rd is very well regarded - both of them (DG and Audite). I read somewhere that the live Audite release was recorded in the same week as the studio version with DG. I haven't heard the Audite recording, but I'd guess that the two recordings are similar from an interpretation perspective.

For what it's worth, the 3rd I most often see recommended is the 1961 Bernstein recording for Columbia (now Sony). It can be heard on YouTube if you want to sample it. I have this one as well as Kubelik (DG) and prefer Bernstein.

julesd68 and crispi like this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Mahler's symphonies have a lot of different sounds, but I don't think he ever used a cannon ;) I know of only one composer who did, Tchaikovsky.

Seriously, Kubelík's way with the Mahler canon is indeed "light" compared to some other conductors. Maybe some symphonies in Kubelík's DG cycle could have used a bit more weight, but overall I like what he did.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    crispi likes this.
  19. coopmv

I have a good number of recordings by Igor Kipnis, an outstanding harpsichordist IMO.
    Both Ward Marston and Mark Obert-Thorn are outstanding when it comes to reconstructing/remastering historical recordings. I have many Naxos Historical recordings reconstructed/remastered by both WM and MOT and have a number of recordings that are close to a century old and these masters made the recordings so listenable with great piano tone. Unfortunately, Naxos has ended its historical recording project and neither WM and MOT do much work for the major classical record labels ...

20. coopmv

This was among the very first CD's by the English Concert/Trevor Pinnock I bought for my collection ...

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  21. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

22. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Made a post a while back about used-LP stores (or more specifically lack-thereof) in NYC. This rang true again this past weekend when the wife and I visited Ithaca, NY. Amazing LP store downtown. Great selection, and reasonably priced. But sadly the classical section was literally non-existant. Grabbed some nice early 70s pressed bluegrass, along with some CDs though.

bluemooze likes this.
  23. bluemooze

Now streaming on Amazon, "Vivaldi - Oracolo in Messenia" performed by Europa Galante led by Fabio Biondi on Erato.

Featuring:
    Julia Lezhneva - soprano
    Vivica Genaux - coloratura mezzo-soprano
    Ann Hallenberg - mezzo-soprano
    Romina Basso - contralto
    Franziska Gottwald - mezzo-soprano
    Xavier Sabata - countertenor
    Magnus Staveland - tenor

[​IMG]

24. Aenae

Aenae Forum Resident

Now listening: Piano Concerto in G major - Maurice Ravel

[​IMG]

tomymontana, J.A.W., julesd68 and 6 others like this.
  25. BlueNoteFan

Sure he did. The finale of the 6th features the cannon shots of fate :D

crispi likes this.