And the next Dr Who is?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gibson67, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

To explain the Doctor's forthcoming gender change perhaps the new life cycle of regenerations he recieved from the Timelords in Matt Smiths final episode includes a mixture of male and female regenerations.

beccabear67 likes this.
  2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I did say "I know it's been brought up every few years since the early '80s". It's a desperate gimmick, more at home in Red Dwarf. I expect a story involving a possible pregnancy by the way, yawn. Anyone want to bet on that?

If Romana comes back as a man and K9 as a plastic cat, along with Missy, we'll know the polarity really has been reversed! :laugh:

3. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

Then how can you say in the same breath that it's happening "without any build-up" and that it had "never been mentioned as something these particular aliens do in all those decades until the Master became Missy"? Missy was part of the build-up for a female Doctor, but it didn't start nor end there. And while there very well may be one, why should there need to be "an apparent reason" for it to happen? How is it more of "a desperate gimmick" than introducing regeneration (originally not called that, but rather "renewal") to begin with, and with absolutely no build-up whatsoever? They could have just let the show end when Hartnell got to old to hack it, but then where would we be? We'd only have missed out on all those great other stories and Doctors and other characters completely.

4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I never caught it as being mentioned about the Time Lords officially in the shows I saw that they changed genders. As far as I know Missy was the first one to do it. The fan magazines in the '80s into the '90s I saw often brought it up about a female doctor, as did some of the actors, I think I remember Lalla Ward saying something about it as well as Tom Baker, but that's outside of the show. I don't know which of the books, comics, or audios count as official cannon, there was an unofficial Doctor on stage and in some of the audios... it got really confusing if you tried to account for all of that and the two '60s movies and fan made spin-off videos.

Regeneration was a clever and original explanation to keep it going, but this is sounding more like a typical gimmick of our variegated times; they are following trends with this and not leading.

5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I’d be surprised, frankly, since it is already canon that Time Lords don’t have children like humans do. But that is the type of thing that the writers should avoid. They never wrote for the Doctor with a male expressly in mind so they shouldn’t do it with a female in mind either. The Doctor is The Doctor, no matter what he/she looks like externally.

6. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Does anybody have a heads up on how to stream this year's Doctor Who Christmas Special? I paid for a subscription to last series through Amazon but as of yet that isn't an option for this one-off. I'm getting a little concerned that I may have to resort to less ethical means at my disposal.

7. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The characters name is The Doctor

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This is a ridiculous idea! Why, everyone knows, a woman can't hold onto her Tardis...! ;)

10. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Of course, the other Doctors were never perfect at controlling the TARDIS either.

11. Dillydipper

Yeah, but none of them fell out of the thing in their very first scene-! :laugh:

12. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I take it you didn't watch Matt Smith's first episode. ;)

13. Dillydipper

I take it I didn't remember Matt Smith's first episode.
    :hide:

14. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Any evidence of her hoovering or dusting? This is clearly important to some people.

15. Andy Smith

See, they never kept me in the loop. Followers of the 'Delicious beer...' thread (elsewhere on this fine forum) know that I could have shown the lady a damn fine time in this city's pubs & bars. I would even have paid for her drinks and let her share my dry-roasted nuts. No cleaning or dusting required, just humour an old(ish) man and laugh at my feeble jokes. She could have even brought the crew and fellow cast members along. She'll never know what she missed on her flying (ha!) visit......

smilin ed likes this.
  16. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

The character was credited in every single episode as "Dr. Who" or "Doctor Who" all the way up until Davison's time, and then was again for Eccleston's season. It's even made it into actual onscreen dialogue once or twice—both in the old show and the new—not to mention its frequent use by production staff, the actors themselves, the press, and of course...the merchandise! Given all that, prescriptivism regarding referring to the character this way has always been silly. Of course it's not the character's real name, but neither is "The Doctor"!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andy Smith and goodiesguy like this.
  17. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Back in my day, Cybermen and Troughton (and Jamie!) were recorded at my Dad's work, an aircraft hangar at Gatwick. I wasn't there, but there's photos in an album somewhere.

Not sure you want 'Nice'. Doctor Who is after all dystopian Sci-Fi.

Andy Smith, walrus and Shawn like this.
  18. If you ever find those photos please share them!

Andy Smith likes this.
  19. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I concur mightily!

20. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I just watched Twice Upon a Time with my kids.

My 8 year-old son's reaction to the new Doctor - "A girl??" (confused look)
    His twin sister's reaction - "A girl?!" (big grin on her face)

BeatleJWOL, Flippikat and millbend like this.
  21. Both were incorrect, though. The new Doctor is a woman. ;)

22. Dok

Dok Senior Member

23. Dillydipper

Odd experience a couple weeks ago, watching Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150A.D. (mistakenly billed as, "Dr. Who and the Daleks") on "Comet", one of those cheapie-budget digital teevee "drop-in" networks used to fill American broadcast teevee time on one of our new digital side-channels. Odd because Peter Cushing introduces himself straightaway as, "Doctor Who" to a contemporary-era policeman, before the adventure begins. Felt kind of like when Tracey Ullman introduces herself on her HBO series as, "national treasure Dame Judi Dench". Should have bailed right then and there, but the British advertising production-library music they used for a soundtrack, got me hooked, and by then it was too late...

24. Andy Smith

Only gnashing of teeth is that it’s taken so long to get to our screens. I sure it’ll be great. Not been overly impressed by any of the trailers though. Bring me the head of a Cyberman!

25. Andy Smith

As a PS; on the back of promoting tomorrow night's Doc Who screening, just heard a bloke on the radio saying "Why shouldn't the next Bond be female?".

jpelg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.