Nicest / most personable musician you've met?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Nigel Olsson and Aynsley Dunbar.

2. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Two of my favorite drummers! Awesome.

Dan

3. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood may quite possibly be the nicest people on the planet, Keith Urban, Frankie Ballard (if you like great guitar playing, look him up), James Iha, Taylor Hanson, Billy Duffy of the Cult, Axl Rose (yes, really), and a bunch of others.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  4. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

Axl Rose - Hermosa Beach 2003 - hung with him for a few hours - totally not what I was expecting - showed me some demos for Chinese Democracy

AlmanacZinger, Runicen, D.B. and 2 others like this.
  5. JeffHunt

DUDE.

Did he play any songs that didn't make the final album?

6. jefferyuniverse

jefferyuniverse Well-Known Member

Bobby Schayer was pretty wonderful when I met him.

7. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

I met the Drummer for Preoccupations and Everyone in Girl Band (Indie Rock) Very nice guys just like your average regular dude. They weren't pretentious at all by the way

8. TheMovieRad

Yeah one called 100 Cuban Skies about cigars... weird right? Showed me about 8 demos in his Ferrari - what a strange night - told me all about Rhiad and the Bedouins and what it was about... we talked about Izzy and his work ethic, Slash, Shannon Hoon... he was by himself and two buddies and I sat at his table at a bar called Sharkeys... the reason he invited us to sit with him is because I had heard The Blues (street of dreams) on a rock in rio 2002 bootleg - I asked about it and he was impressed I knew it

Tanx, Runicen, D.B. and 1 other person like this.
  9. JeffHunt

That's awesome, man! I know that "Cuban Skies" has been a rumored song title for YEARS, so it's pretty cool that you can say that you've heard it! Never would have imagined that it would be about cigars, though!

Axl has really mellowed out over the years - I briefly met him in 2012 and he was VERY patient, polite, and gracious when it came to signing autographs.

Runicen and TheMovieRad like this.
  10. Brian DeWitt

Brian DeWitt Senior Member

Walter Becker

bluejimbop and ohnothimagen like this.
  11. TheMovieRad

I guess Stephanie Seymour’s sister was dating an arms dealer named Rhiad and Axl didn’t really dig this dude so he told me He wrote that tune about him. Said Bucketheads white guitar is a hollow body les Paul that was built by a master luthier who suicided right after he gave the guitar to Buckethead - told me Izzy would rather be lazy and make $40,000 then Work his ass off and make millions - said Slash quietly OD’d four times in 2002 - just a bunch of inside info that somehow I became privy to

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nice ? Rory Gallagher, Paul Rodgers.
    Frightened ( and scary) ones, or maybe shy... Carl Wayne, Jimmy Page, Henry Rollins.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  13. JeffHunt

Axl actually wrote an essay about "Rhiad" in the unreleased / alternate artwork for "Chinese Democracy." It was a pretty interesting read.

It's so odd that Axl and Izzy were close then, but have evidently had a falling out over the reunion with Slash and Duff.

14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Well, don't keep us in suspense, who was the exception?:D
    Interesting...based on his reputation/image, Walter Becker is not the first person who comes to mind when it comes to "nice" and "personable":laugh: Tell us more!

15. JeffHunt

If anyone ever gets the chance to meet Keith Urban, take it. He’s ridiculously nice and humble for someone of his status in the industry, and of course, his ridiculously amazing guitar skills.

bluejimbop likes this.
  16. Brian DeWitt

Brian DeWitt Senior Member

I was in Bloomingdales in LA, Century City. This was around the time Two Against Nature came out. Recognizing him immediately, I went over and said hello gushing that he and Fagen were such amazing songwriters and musicians, how I'd been following their music since 1972 and had bought every album as they came out. He seemed genuinely pleased. He said he and Donald were going to a banquet that night where ASCAP was giving them an award for songwriting. He said he did not own a dress shirt and needed to buy one. Ha!

edenofflowers and ohnothimagen like this.
  17. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

That sounds like Walter Becker all over:laugh:

Bill D likes this.
  18. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I met the Captain at a festival in Faversham in 2002 where the Damned were playing later in the evening. We watched Arthur Brown together.

izgoblin and Antx like this.
  19. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

I've met quite a few, but the one that stands out for me is Alice Cooper.
    He's a real nice guy who doesn't appear to be driven by ego.

Blastproof and Moshe like this.
  20. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Met him 2 weeks ago and he was courteous and friendly. Very nice guy. Graham Maby, even nicer.

tedg65 likes this.
  21. Bill D

Bill D Well-Known Member

I lucked into a backstage pass to meet Larry Carlton in 1989 at the Berklee Performance Center. He couldn't have been warmer or kinder to me. A perfect gentlemen and an all-time great guitar player.

22. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Chris Stills, Gary Burton and Larry Coryell come to mind.

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

mark knopfler was a nice bloke

Moshe likes this.
  24. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

Richard Thompson - after a gig in a tiny town hall or some such near Telford in Shropshire in 1992. Guess he was still touring Rumor & Sigh.

25. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Davy Jones, Mickey Dolenz, Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart. Met all 4 in 1976, then Davy again 2 more times.

All of them were super nice and friendly and answered all my dumb questions about Don Kirshner and Screen Gems Publishing.

Hep Alien and AlmanacZinger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.