Speaker shopping with $3000 budget - what have you heard? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cordobaman, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

If you can hear a pair, and also not on your list, the AVI DM10 or the new DM12 might be worth listening to...

2. TheRoaringSlience

TheRoaringSlience Member

You should also consider Yamaha Soavo 1 speakers. I think they are within your budget.
    Hi-Fi World editor David Price really liked them (he owns Yamaha NS1000Ms) :agree:
    [​IMG]

3. WillytheWoofer

WillytheWoofer Forum Resident

I should buy a second hand pair of Magnepan 3-series. You do need a heavy amp.
    Good luck.

4. TheRoaringSlience

TheRoaringSlience Member

Nice looking speakers. Do they use ribbon tweeters?

5. WillytheWoofer

WillytheWoofer Forum Resident

Not a bad choice.

6. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

Klipsch Cornwalls! You can make them work size wise. It will be worth it!

7. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

Yes, the one pictured is the older model that was discontinued last year (or early this year, think it was introduced in 2010) and replaced by the PL200 II. The one pictured has the pure ribbon tweeter, ceramic-coated aluminium/magnesium (C-CAM) ribbon suspended in a very strong magnetic field. The newer models have moved to an air motion transformer design, which is a folded diaphragm like the old Heil tweeters, I think because it can handle more power and doesn't need a transformer. The woofer and midrange cones are a sandwich construction with C-CAM skins bonded to a honeycomb nomex core. Nice speakers.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  8. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather Thread Starter

I now have about 50 hours on the Spatial Hologram M4 Turbo S.
    I have not taken the time to experiment with placement, but will soon.
    They are spaced 24" from the front wall, 5-1/2 feet apart, 7 feet to my listening spot, slight toe-in.
    They are breaking-in nicely, much smoother, slightly forward on vocals.

Last night, late, lights low, large glass of wine, eyes closed...
    Put on S&G "Bridge Over...". This album is part of my soul.
    I became engulfed in the music.
    I could place each instrument, each vocal, in space.
    Subtle sounds, percussion, aspects of the music I had never perceived before.
    It was an emotional experience. A set of speakers brought on an emotional experience.

I think we're on to something here.
    Even if it is not this exact model, the open baffle holographic effect is drawing me in.
    More impressions to come...

9. Helom

Helom Forum member

How's the imaging? Is it "pinpoint," or more of a "wall of sound?"

10. cordobaman

Not pinpoint L+R. More wall...actually "room of sound", has width, height, and depth.
    You can hear the location of specific sounds well beyond and within the speakers.

It is somewhat dependent with recording. For example, BOTW was very spacious.
    LS "Street Survivors" not as much of the holographic affect.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Helom likes this.
  11. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

How are you liking them with another week of auditioning?

12. cordobaman

Now in my third week of trial, the Spatial's keep getting better. Slightly less forward in the upper mids, very engaging over all. I have been playing around a little with placement, found that a slight tilt back has raised/improved the staging considerably. They are quite clear without being overly detailed, so even with less-than-stellar recordings there is still a high enjoyment factor. I could not say this with the Revels I tried previously. Still not 100% sure I am keeping, but they are staring to become pleasant and familiar enough that they just may stay.

Done A Ton likes this.
  13. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

Another Vandy 2CE owner here. They are definitely the best hifi purchase I have ever made. I'm not sure they would be the best choice for your size room - OTOH, when I auditioned them, it was in a room about that size. And I was impressed enough to buy a pair.

Lots of interesting choices on your list, happy hunting. ;)

Cyclone Ranger and cordobaman like this.
  14. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Have you decided if you are keeping them or not?

15. cordobaman

I am about 90% sure that I will keep them.

Let me put it this way…
    The wife asked me the other day “when are the other set of Spatials going to arrive?“ When I asked her what she meant by that, she replied “you know, the set we need for the bedroom so you’ll come to bed rather than staying in your music room half the night.”

Done A Ton likes this.
  16. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Good to hear that you're enjoying them. I think when I'm ready to pull the trigger I'll have to make a road trip to Utah, and check out Spatial, Tekton and Zu. Might as well check out Wilson and Sound Lab while I'm there, though they are way over my budget. Despite the rave reviews for the Tekton Double Impact, the Spatials are the most intriguing to me.

cordobaman likes this.
  17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Your Atlas Magnum amp has a big helping hand in the dimensions of the sound field. As soon as I read your description i thougt "must be a tube amp in their somewhere". sure enough.
    those look like very interesting speakers. i'll have to try and listen to them at AXPONA this year. congrats!

carrick doone and cordobaman like this.
  18. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

@cordobaman , your sixty day trial period is almost up. They should be broken in by now. Are you keeping them?

19. cordobaman

Yes I am keeping them. My vote has been tallied for the Spatial Hologram M4 Turbo. I am thoroughly enjoying them.

A huge Thank You to everyone who participated in this thread, it has been very helpful! But keep it going for other's benefit!

Done A Ton likes this.
  20. Notilloc

Notilloc Member

So, many months later, how are things going with the Spatials? They are one of my top picks and I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger because I've never heard them. I'm also going back and forth between the m4 and m3. Any feedback would be appreciated.

21. cordobaman

The Spatial’s still bring a smile to my face every time I listen to them. I sometimes ponder the M3, however my room is fairly small, probably a challenge to keep away from the front wall And still be able to walk through the room.

If you have the space, I would definitely go with the larger version. I have zero regrets, and have not had the urge to change to any other speakers.

Done A Ton and Notilloc like this.
  22. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

I just ordered a pair of the M4 Turbo S for a second system I am putting together in our new retirement house. Really looking forward to listening to them. :cool:

23. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Of the speakers on the list, I like the 1.5 Maggies, the Vandersteen and the Tekton speaker. They are all quite good sounding for the money. I don't really know the price of the lower end Audio Note speakers, but, they should at least be under consideration; the same with the smaller ProAc speakers.

I heard, albeit briefly, at an audio show, the Rethm Bhaava speaker that is in that price range and it was quite impressive; it delivered a full, rich sound and it is quite efficient and can be used with low-powered amps. High efficiency (an attribute of the Tekton and Audio Note speakers as well) is a BIG plus, to me, as there are not that many really great sounding high-powered amps.

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The ELAC standmounts for $2.5K really impressed me. Bass of a tower speaker too.

25. cordobaman

Congratulations! I would suggest that you do not judge them for the first 50 hours. It was amazing how the speakers opened up and smoothed out after they had a chance to loosen up a bit.

tiger roach likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.