Criterion Collection May 2018 Titles Announced

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Myke, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I don't know about the picture quality of the US DVD, but the PQ of the 2011 Blu-ray got 3-1/2 stars out of 5 on Blu-ray.com, so there is definite room for improvement!

2. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

You also have the excellent Arena documentary, The Strange Case Of Yukio Mishima as an extra. I only hope it gets a Region B release.

93curr likes this.
  3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I just wish they'd included 'Patriotism' as an extra. No way that's getting its own BD release.

johnnyyen likes this.
  4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Still no Larry Crowne?

sure if Ozu had directed it...

5. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

It did get its own dvd release a while back, but it would work more as an extra these days.

93curr likes this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Midnight Cowboy, Virgin Suicides, Silence of The Lambs....what a great start to the year from Criterion. I cant remember being this excited about bluray releases in a long time.

Myke likes this.
  7. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I fon’t often buy Criterion releases for Blu Rays I already have, but Midnight Cowboy will be one of those rare exceptions.

Myke likes this.
  8. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

Balthazar! Beautiful film.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

10. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

bluray.com also gives Midnight Cowboy 5.0/5.0

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

That's what I posted above.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

Looks good to me!

Myke likes this.
  13. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

OOPS! My bad

Myke likes this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Having seen other comparison screen caps at DVD Beaver I'm now growing concerned. It looks like they teal'ed the hell out of Midnight Cowboy. I've only waited like 25 years for the ultimate Midnight Cowboy home cinema experience. Looks like I'll keep waiting. Gah.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WTF do you call that?

Jimmy B. likes this.
  15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That look bad. I wasn't planning on buying this one anyway, but I hate to see that.

longdist01 likes this.
  16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

So true. It broke my heart to watch it (via the Criterion DVD), but it’s as great as all the great-movie polls say it is.

Kubricker likes this.
  17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

To be fair that dishwasher shot looks like the most extreme example of the “teal” tint in the new Criterion Blu-ray that’s posted at DVD Beaver.

The reviewer notes that the new Criterion was "approved by cinematographer Adam Holender” and writes, "I found the teal-leaning very noticeable initially but I got used to it and the improved detail is such a dramatic improvement over the older 1080P transfer. I have never seen it looks this good... I wasn't crazy about the green cast but the restored visuals have so much more depth and crispness that it is easily the finest (of the dozen or more viewings I've had) of Midnight Cowboy. Wow, indeed... I consider this one of the greatest American films ever made. The 4K Blu-ray presentation, uncompressed monaural audio score and extensive new extras make it the BD release of the year for me. Positively a 'must-own’.”

So I’m not sure that anybody should automatically reject this one out of hand. Here’s a less extreme pair of contrasting shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

When the hell are they going to put out "The Last Picture Show" as a stand-alone release ???

Kubricker and longdist01 like this.
  19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Good Lord, the lower screenshot doesn't even look remotely real, unless your eyes were still dilated from a retinal exam. Terrible, if that's typical. That looks like the tube's about to fail on an old console TV.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    agentalbert and longdist01 like this.
  20. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Yes, I cancelled my preorder earlier after seeing those screenshots. Criterion did the same thing with Scanners; fortunately there are decent alternatives for that too over here in Europe.

21. agentalbert

Can I ask what specific blu-ray you suggest for that title?

22. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I got the UK release which looks great - typical “natural” colours for the period. There was also a German release, IIRC, that had decent reviews. This was a few years back though - whenever the US Criterion came out.

23. agentalbert

Do you know if either of them are non-region locked? I don't have a region free blu-ray player.

24. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Just out of curiosity, does Criterion stuff stay 'in print'? Or do you need to buy it upon release to make sure you get it? ...

25. agentalbert

Not forever, but most of it seems to still be available years after release. I don't think you need to hurry on anything.

bhazen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.