New Simple Minds album, "Walk Between Worlds", set for release 02/02/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Maybe you're trying to help but, some on here shouldn't think they get to form my posts for me under threat of "accusation". There's a pressure for these "old white men" bands to soften their appeal by adding young women, I've seen it "suggested" on more than a few occasions. Given that, it is eyebrow raising and we should be able to state as much. Imagine the hubris of sitting there thinking you get to tell me what to write. If there weren't a PC pressure out there to force women into these situations, I wouldn't think a thing of it............there is, so I do. Nothing I wrote demeans women in any way. I see the cyber bullies have learned to use the "better write in the approved manner or we'll assume you're a misogynist and will summarily punish you" mechanism pretty well.

I mention my uncle holds down a number of odd jobs and it turns into "they all work under the table cos' they're tax cheats", it's boring. If you're trying to help, which I think you are, thank you. I should be able to state an opinion given the current climate.

2. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I'm trying to help, but I have to say that I'm a bit perplexed by your references to "threat," "punish," and "bullies" in this context. All people have done is try to let you know how you are coming across--no one has threatened, punished, or bullied you in any way.

I personally find it very depressing that as soon as women start getting some recognition for their talents and begin contributing on a more even playing field, their achievements get reduced to "PC pressure to force women into these situations." I don't know anything about the internal dynamics of Simple Minds, but I doubt the new members were forced to join.

And yes, you have the right to state an opinion. The thing is, so does every poster who has been trying to let you know how your stated opinion comes across.

fRa likes this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I very much doubt anyone was forced into anything. If the "more women everywhere is hip" angle was played - and it's not unlikely, it was certainly a management decision taken by Jim, Charlie and their management. To turn a blind eye to prevailing popular norms is rather ignorant.

Havoc likes this.
  4. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

The threat is an unstated one, I shouldn't have to explain that. You have this so wrong, I'm really trying hard to see how it got there. Read what has been written, you seem to be ignoring the elephant in the room that is the "threat" that someone will be offended by merely mentioning that there's women in the band now, it seems a bit odd.....maybe it has to do with this perceived need to appeal to those forces who, for reasons I can't comprehend......are now offended by an all male band. These are discussions on levels outside this thread which creates the climate for this nonsense in here, one doesn't have to type "I threaten you" for it to be implied if we consider context and the current landscape. If I come across a certain way, it's cos' certain people are determined to infer what isn't implied because it fits the narrative. Who in the hell said the women were forced to join? Can you see Catherine mouthing "HELP MEEEEEEE" whilst behind the keys or blinking SOS? Hmmmm......

I'm still going to believe you're trying to help but we're on way different wavelengths here. I've nothing against women, nothing I've written should remotely approach that I do but some will deliberately take things the wrong way so they can say they're offended. I think I've bent over backwards to compliment Charrisse and Catherine actually, because I knew that merely mentioning it was a surprise to see them in the lineup would call down all sorts of accusatory rhetoric. I think Colin was being deliberately cheeky while bravely wading into the topic.

I had some tosser call me a "petty pig American" (for which I'm still sitting fully clothed in an empty tub, with a few tears on my sunken cheeks) in here but saying "I thought it a bit odd that Andy and Mel were tossed aside and were replaced by these two women (they are women after all), one of whom admittedly knew nothing of their discography" is worse? I see things in here all the time that I may not agree with or might find on the mean side, I try and give people the benefit of the doubt when I'm not absolutely sure of what is being implied.

You may not be a participant in it but Cyber Bullying is a thing and there's hints of it here. "What you said offends me, disavow it now". Some fully expect their target to apologize and put his/her (like that?) opinions where none can see them. It is a VERY slippery slope and I won't participate in it in any way.

Stuart S likes this.
  5. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Thank you sir. A true wordsmith in our midst, probably exponentially more effective than my opus.

DTK likes this.
  6. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You really need to change the record, you keep going on about cyber bullies and the current climate. That is often just used as an excuse by bigots used to being able to get away with offensive posts without being challenged.

jimod99 likes this.
  7. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Gee, who didn't see this coming? Find an offensive post on the topic of mine. Let's see what is and isn't racist, bigoted, this-ist or that-ist. You're actually proving my point about cyber bullies. Offended by what isn't written.

You think you get to sent the boundary for what is and isn't said. I'd say that's a very inflated view of self importance.

Stuart S likes this.
  8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Now you are just boring.
    As I said, change the record...

9. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Sorry. You're not my real mum, you're not the boss of me.....and all those other things that equate to........no. Remember, it was you and the like that decided to let it be known that you were offended by mere words in a forum that has pretty strict guidelines with regard to being respectful. I wasn't seeking your opinion, you offered it in an attempt to get me to fall in line or be silent.
    One of your "allies" resorted to name calling actually. You don't read what is written, you just try and find what you're looking for whether it's there or not. You don't get to tell me what to say or how to say it, hence the term "Cyber Bullies". I do my best to respect the guidelines set forth by our host and his trusted staff and can't worry about everyone's feelings in this day and age. Disagree with me, I can take it. Beyond that, I'll contribute in the spirit of the forum's guidelines.

Am I boring you? I am? Brilliant! :wave:

10. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

FFS guys this is dull, get a room or something.

Neonbeam and godslonelyman like this.
  11. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Who’s actually offended by all male bands?

Is it that much of a stretch to believe that the current line up of Simple Minds, regardless of gender, are all in place for the three most likely reasons most people are in any band:

1. They play in a style that suits the music.
    2. The have a musically-sympathetic ear.
    3. They are good company/good to work with.

I like ‘Walk Between Worlds’, and keep finding wee snippets of songs from it popping into my head.

Audioresearch, Surly and bob60 like this.
  12. godslonelyman

godslonelyman Forum Resident

Meanwhile, back to Walk Between Worlds....
    They were playing a very truncated SoD on French tv recently, the next single perhaps?
    Going to the gig in Copenhagen on Tuesday, the q&a segments should go down a storm (*sarcasm might apply)
    Though I am curious as to how the live arrangements are handled on the new tracks, and if (/how) JKs voice holds up.

Vinyl b-side Direction Of The Heart is precisely that; genuine b-side fodder. An undercooked throwaway, with reminiscent retro synths sole saving grace.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  13. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The thread is more interesting than the album!

bob60, Neonbeam and Dave 81828384 like this.
  14. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

:biglaugh:

15. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

:winkgrin:

16. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

A number of vids up after a few shows and it really looks like they keep screwing up Signal. Wondering if it looked like that to anyone else. Right when Charlie's solo is about to start, Jim and Sarah sing over it......seems like the song just stalls out then sort of recovers. Very, very odd.

17. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

I like The New Album too! Its easily their best in years. All who have joined The band For This album are in the right place at the right moment!

DTK likes this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I listened to a recording of the London gig. The new songs sound great, Jim's voice is a bit shot unfortunately.

Havoc likes this.
  19. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Cripes, those female vocals are even more to the fore live than on the record.

20. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Gonna have to give it up or I'm telling.
    Me: "Jim, there's a guy.....or girl....not sure....goes by the first name of D, last name TK.....anyway, h...hh...hhe...sh...sh....oh, sod it....X has a bootleg and I want it."
    Jim: "Let me see your hands......."
    Me: :rolleyes:

DTK likes this.
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Haha! Better not tell Jimbo, and we'll fix it...

Havoc likes this.
  22. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I've read complaints about the mixing and just from the videos, they seem a bit rough. I'm sure they'll gel but, does it seem like they're getting Signal wrong? Looks like they're constantly singing over where Charlie's solo would come in and that the rest of the band sort of stalls for a bit, barely keeping things going. It would be difficult to understand how they'd get it wrong repeatedly.

23. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Yeah. The solo sounds better/longer/higher in the mix though...which is a good thing. Charlie only gets two memorable solos on the album, which is a shame (Barrowland Star and Sense Of Discovery, the latter starts beautifully & I only wish it was longer).

Havoc likes this.
  24. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

It's out there. There are women who sit in pubs, listening to the music and recording how often they hear a female voice then report it. It's just out there, if you're not seeing it then fine. I'm not out looking for it but I do stumble on it from time to time. It's out there enough to give one pause when they see a change up like this.
    The album is fantastic but, I'm beginning to suspect the new member's contributions to it were mainly vocal and some percussion. I initially thought Catherine's chops on piano may have been used but she merely gets an additional vocal credit. Mel gets credit for drums although I think much of it is electronic. I think there's plenty of room to believe Jim and Charlie just liked the chemistry, I'm not losing any sleep over it and am enjoying Charrisse's diaries, what a delightful person!

As an aside, my wife saw the band photo and merely commented "Can't they ever just stick with a lineup and keep it? Do they think they're Sly and the Family Stone?" :biglaugh:

25. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Good one in Signal too, not quite as long but I really "remember" that one. I like how the second bar has a heightened aggressiveness to it like Charlie saying "No, I really mean it this time." Am I completely wrong in thinking they're having repeated cock ups when playing Signal live?

DTK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.