Magnum P.I. reboot in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jan 28, 2018.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I think if someone wants to do that and have integrity they could come up with their own names and not ride on something known. Like Star Wars started as an idea to do a new Flash Gordon. The other way to do it with some integrity is to have this as a continuation of the older series with older characters now. I can really resent someone taking something I've liked in the past and then doing something with it that seems out of character with the original (like what they did with a serious killer Batman including graphic violence or a jokey/hammy Dark Shadows, although both have qualities in their favor and are worthwhile).

I really liked Cagney & Lacey and the various follow-ups showing the characters older. I would worry though that this is more about selling or getting permission using something known, but I'd still have to check it out. :agree:

3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Oh Jeeze make it stop cbs has lost there mind.
    Les Moonves is okaying this? if so time to quit
    an anybody else who suggested this.. It's endvilles for cbs
    They way screwed up magyver no thanks ..
    It's awful.

audiomixer and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  4. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Well, CBS has gotten a ton of mileage out of the Hawaii Five-O reboot, despite the fact that it is vastly inferior to the original series, so this kind of thing will probably keep happening.

If only they can find a convincing fat, bald guy for the Cannon reboot.

5. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I can't wait for Jake and the Fat Man reboot or maybe the politically correct "Jake and the Big Boned Male."

6. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Please already-enough is enough,slowly back away from the reboots...Cagney And Lacey was a good show,but B-O-R-I-N-G, as for Magnum P.I. what are they gonna have a[seventy yr old]Tom Sellick running on the beach with his shirt off...NO MORE REBOOTS-aggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!

7. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

Who would play Higgins?

S. P. Honeybunch and melstapler like this.
  8. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Steve Buscemi

9. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

Yes I could see it. What about TC, Rick and the man himself do you want to have a go at it?

10. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

If the do Jake and the Fatman with Magnum, CBS can program an entire night set in Hawaii!

11. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Wasn't there a possibility of Magnum's daughter Lilly playing the part of the lead character this go around? Either way not interested. Time for an Incredible Hulk reboot.

12. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Personally, I'm not getting excited for any of these shows until the be-boot of The Beverly Hillbillies becomes a reality. :laugh:

13. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Ricky Gervais

14. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Can he do a British accent?

15. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

"Reboots and revivals continue to be all the rage on the broadcast side this pilot season. Also in the works this year are Get Christie Love and The Greatest American Hero at ABC; Murphy Brown at CBS; a
    Bad Boys spinoff at NBC; and a Charmed reboot at The CW."

Are they chitting me?

clhboa and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

17. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I find the new MacGyver and the Hawaii Five-O remake to be painful to watch. This looks about the same.

18. The new version will have a new title with the same meaning: "Gun 3.14"

19. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

IMHO, reboots are complete and utter pieces of crap that are nothing more than sad attempts by the Networks to lure viewers of the original shows back to their network. They can't come up with new concepts for shows that are actually good enough to attract viewers so they need to go back to shows that were proven to driver viewership. The only thing that makes this practice worse is when they re-cast roles such as in "Hawaii Five-0" and this soon-t0-be craptacular waste of time.

Purple and audiomixer like this.
  20. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Good actor. Thomas Remington Magnum? No way. Some roles don’t need to be revisited. Selleck is too entwined in the role for anyone else to take it on, but that’s just my opinion.

21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I agree with you on that. I just can't picture anyone else but Selleck as Magnum. And same goes for the actors who played TC, Rick and Higgins.

However, I think CBS is trying to sell classic characters to younger viewers. Some young people may have heard of Magnum PI but not really know the character. Of course, the viewers of a certain age....those of us who have fond memories of the original show....for example over 50 years of age, don't mean anything to advertisers.

jwoverho likes this.
  22. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

With Zeus and Apollo out there they'd better watch their step

[​IMG]

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'll pass on the new Magnum P.I.

Purple, MikeInFla and xilef regnu like this.
  24. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It's big pass. I agree with groovy guys ... CBS is really desperate all there big ratings shows
    are getting less ratings and are old Ncis Big Bang.. etc.
    Cbs needs to develop something new like early 2000's
    we had numbers, cold case, Csi all three of them without a trace.
    The Tiffany network has lost it's luster.. more like Macys now.

Purple likes this.
  25. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Here you go.....new "Magnum P.I."

[​IMG]